Why become a member? ×

Ever thought you've nailed a bass line but actually havent?

Funny you mention that. I've been playing a while and have run into a "signature" bass line that is giving me fits. "Marie Levau" is how old (?) and I have been shown (in no uncertain terms) that my liberties a la Little Feet, etc,. are not really appreciated.

I thought I had it down, until one of the guitarists sent me a link to an 80 year old woman at a bass lesson trying to do it, banging and clanking, etc. I still think he's making fun of me but, in fact, she has the line and I still can't get it! I learned it wrong and now I have to unlearn it!

I've heard quite a few versions of the line, but my young friend is bound and determined that THIS is the right one. I'd like to think he's young and inexperienced, but I'm just the bass player and if we're going to do unisons and harmonies, then I guess this must be the "REAL THING" and I'd better get it down by the next practice!

• Like 1

On 20/03/2024 at 04:57, KingPrawn said:

Drift Boss said:

Evening players

I've been around the block and played a fair bit. I have a dep gig on Saturday for a band I've stepped in a few times for. Thought id just play my fingers in and run through the set. Put the original track on and heard stuff I never picked up on when I first listened. I seriously thought I had these lines down. Sometimes think I'm so stuck on learning the structure and having the bass in hand I miss the nuances as I'm always picking out sections. when I listen without the bass in hand I hear all this new stuff. It was good to get a wake-up call. 

Practice diligently every day.

Edited by alibek93
  • Like 1

Last year our mob were asked by a punter to do Airport by the Motors, with two days to go.  I sort of knew the song so had a quick play and thought I had it pretty good.  Sounded good on the night.

Afterwards I downloaded the music and I was miles out. A simple bass line but some nice little mini frills at the turn of each section.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

My take on "getting the lines right" depends on the band I'm playing with. There are many band leaders who just want the sound of a bass behind them. Others can be picky. If they just want a ball-park feel, I can do that, if they want exact copies I'm happy to put in the hours. Usually it's somewhere in between. I'll always be aware of the original and put in the signature bass bits, but mostly I'll play the songs my way. The bottom line, when I'm depping I always aim to be better than the regular bassist and any other deps. Rule #1 (the only rule), do whatever it takes to be the first name on their list.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I'm sure I don't play anywhere near all of the basslines I can play note-for-note perfect, but I think what I play sounds close enough and good so I'm not overly fussed.

Not even the original artists play their lines live note-for-note perfect vis-a-vis the recordings, so what's is there to worry about?  We're musicians, not a bloody jukebox!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Not even the original artists play their lines live note-for-note perfect vis-a-vis the recordings, so what's is there to worry about?  We're musicians, not a bloody jukebox!

Exactly! I have this argument with our keyboardist every time we start learning a new song and he complains about it being too complicated or "produced". I just show him a live performance of it being different to the recording (Club Foot by Kasabian being a good example) and then he settles down.

• Like 2

Just now, asingardenof said:

Exactly! I have this argument with our keyboardist every time we start learning a new song and he complains about it being too complicated or "produced". I just show him a live performance of it being different to the recording (Club Foot by Kasabian being a good example) and then he settles down.

That is the only way we can make keyboardists to let off steam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/03/2024 at 12:13, asingardenof said:

If it's any consolation there a lot of famous bassists that don't get it right either...

I don't get that bass riff wrong, mainly because I've never played it and have absolutely no idea what it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/03/2024 at 14:13, asingardenof said:

If it's any consolation there a lot of famous bassists that don't get it right either...

I think those many bassists thought that it was wrong originaly and tried to make it sound better.

• Like 1

My line for "Love Shack" is way groovier than the original, even though for many years I thought my line was the original! 🤣

I also cannot emulate the sloppy playing on "Maggie May". 

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

I think those many bassists thought that it was wrong originaly and tried to make it sound better.

My theory is that putting in the "wrong" notes in this line is easier than leaving them out - it's sometimes easier for our brains to play a string of notes rather than think about gaps.

I'd blame the Mexicans, and make them pay for it!

Like they are all smug like with their stupid hats, ponchos and fiestas, and what not!

Oh, and those flamingo guitars!

Whas'up with that?

Make cover bass playing great again!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

In answer to the OP

Every time I pick up a bass.

Im recording this weekend, originals, my basslines.

Just sat and played along to make sure I’m prepped…

I must be in a different “place” when I play with the band.

45 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'd blame the Mexicans, and make them pay for it!

Like they are all smug like with their stupid hats, ponchos and fiestas, and what not!

Oh, and those flamingo guitars!

Whas'up with that?

Make cover bass playing great again!

Wow....so You are straight Mexican hater?