Why become a member? ×

Beyer Dynamic headphone issue.

Hi. I have some BD DT990s and for some reason that has totally baffled me. I proceeded to plug it in to my Macbook and no sound.it doesnt work plugged into my phone either.. Its like the plug isn't connecting. Its almost like something has come off the end. Can anyone shed some light on this or show me a picture of the connecting plug that they have for some Beyers. Here is a pic. Thanks

20240312_225119.jpg

20240312_225128.jpg

It's an easy fix for anyone with a modicum of competence. The broken jack plug gets cut off, and a new stereo (TRS...) jack plug soldered onto the cut end of the cable. About five minutes; a suitable jack plug (it's nothing special...) costs a couple of pounds or so for a good'un. Hope this helps. :friends:

• Like 4

Yeah, cut it off and replace it.

The only thing you'll lose is the use of the screw on adapter, which are pretty rubbish in my experience. I've had two fail and turn mono.

I also hope the tip isn't stuck in a socket somewhere, as that'll be a git to remove

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Hopefully the tip isn’t lodged in your MacBook or you could experience some challenges removing it.

I just asked a friend at work and he has had the tip break in a MacBook. To retrieve it, he used the ink tube from a Bic pen (with the ink out and cleaned. After sliding it into the slot and applying a tiny bit of pressure it came out. 

Obviously o can’t be held responsible for damage but it sounds like a good tip to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I just asked a friend at work and he has had the tip break in a MacBook. To retrieve it, he used the ink tube from a Bic pen (with the ink out and cleaned. After sliding it into the slot and applying a tiny bit of pressure it came out. 

Obviously o can’t be held responsible for damage but it sounds like a good tip to me.

well I cant see anything in the Mac or my phone. It just looks like something has unscrewed from the end of the jack and fallen off somewhere.?

That quote is taking the pee. All of the BeyerDynamic phones are designed for easy replacement of any of the parts.

I'd order a replacement cable like this for under a tenner: https://amzn.to/3PHXgHt and DIY it.

Here's a how-to:

If you're handy with a soldering iron it should be easy; if not, you might have a Basschatter near you who'd do it for a pint.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2