Why become a member? ×

Even Flow difficulty

I've been learning Even Flow by Pearl Jam and it's not too difficult except for the descending scale runs. Is it just me or is it actually difficult to play it clean? Any tips?

Its 8 seconds in, ending with the harmonic

23 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

I don't understand how that sliding harmonic thing works!

Play the harmonics as usual, then press the strings down and slide up. Only works on a fretless.

Mind you that bloke in the video above is doing it wrong, Jeff Ament slides from the nut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Play the harmonics as usual, then press the strings down and slide up. Only works on a fretless.

Mind you that bloke in the video above is doing it wrong, Jeff Ament slides from the nut.

Yes, huge slide from the nut. In fact if you watch videos of him it looks like he starts behind the nut, which obviously can't work but it must just be his style. 

As for sliding harmonics, it doesn't seem like they should work in theory but they do, and sound cool. 

10 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I thought this was going to be about a urology problem...

That'll be at about 3:00 tomorrow morning... and 4:00 and 5:00.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I got the notes, I just can't play it!

To my ear, the that guy is playing it an octave up from the isolated track, and i don't hear an open A  in there either. Here's the run I'm hearing on my phone speaker, noting that the E string is downtuned to a D.

A -5-3-

D ---- -6-5-3-0-3-5-0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I think Tony Franklin did a video on how to do this sort of thing.

15 hours ago, Gwilym said:

To my ear, the that guy is playing it an octave up from the isolated track, and i don't hear an open A  in there either.

Yeah it's a fairly poor cover IMO.  He gets about 90% of the way there but the lines in the verse and chorus aren't accurate either.