Why become a member? ×

Worst Auditionee

TimR

We don't routinely record rehearsals, but have always recorded auditions so we're free to just play, but can then listen back at home to find out exactly what was going on.

One singer, who wasn't comedically noteworthy but absolutely wasn't getting the gig on vocal merit, asked for the recordings. We didn't think that was an unreasonable request so clipped out the best take of each song, polished them up (as much as you ever can with a stereo mp3 from a field recorder in the middle of a rehearsal room) and sent them over, along with only a fairly brief "thanks for coming and nice to meet you, but we're going to keep on looking", since we assumed the recordings would explain all.

They were fine with that - thanked us for our time and said it had been fun - but to our surprise also said they thought the recordings were great and asked whether they could use them as a demo to send to other bands. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, thebrig said:

We auditioned a so called experienced guitarist last week who has played for 50+ years.

He turned up and spent a good twenty minutes trying to tune his guitar and he didn't mute it whilst doing so, I always record rehearsals and auditions, and the tone you hear in this clip of him tuning is the tone he used for every song we played regardless of the type of song.

He didn't get the gig.

Psychedelic Tuning.mov

Bloody hell! I have power tools that sound better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, nilorius said:

This is what happened 2 years ago to me. I got auditioned by a pop/rock band - drummer, guitarist, keyboards, girl vocal. I came in to room, all looked very nice, everybody was setting up for the rehearsal. So it started - the girl vocalist said to me - ok, play something. I asked - bass solo, alone? Guitarist answered - yes, that would be nice. I said ok. Took some seconds to think what to play and decided to play Donna Lee. So i did it without mistakes in a good speed, thought - should be fine. Then the girl vocalist said - no......you are not good enough, you can leave now, goodbye. I packed and left. A bit of whiskey and all was fine again.

You shouldn't have ridden there on the unicorn. They were bound to look for an excuse after that.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The problem is the technical ability required to play it is rather obscured by it sounding like a near-random sequence of notes to the uninitiated.

But Jaco only needed four strings to play a random series of notes, Nilo has a 6-string.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, tauzero said:

But Jaco only needed four strings to play a random series of notes, Nilo has a 6-string.

I never got 6, but 5 i love. Felix got 6. Donna lee is ok with 4 used.

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, thebrig said:

We auditioned a so called experienced guitarist last week who has played for 50+ years.

He turned up and spent a good twenty minutes trying to tune his guitar and he didn't mute it whilst doing so, I always record rehearsals and auditions, and the tone you hear in this clip of him tuning is the tone he used for every song we played regardless of the type of song.

He didn't get the gig.

Psychedelic Tuning.mov

but nice movie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thebrig said:

He didn't get the gig.

Psychedelic Tuning.mov

Well that was... something...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NHM said:

in the old days you could have got an Arts Council grant for making a movie like that.

In the old days, we probably would have been a successful psychedelic band with this kind of material.🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

We thought we would add a psychedelic movie to go with the tones that not even Jimi Hendrix could achieve.

Whalesong had nothing on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

Whalesong had nothing on that.

Tbh, the clip I uploaded is the best bit, the other 19 minutes of him tuning his guitar is far worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Against my own better judgment, I present 'Wishadelic Demotune', a mix of two of the great audible art installations of the past decade - namely, Psychedelic Tuning and the infamous Wishbass Demo from youtube.

I apologise in advance if this causes distress or genuine harm. It may be an idea to remove small children or animals from the room first. 

EDIT: on second thoughts, I shall rename it 'Wishadelic Demotune'.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 6
  • Haha 20

On 06/03/2024 at 18:11, Rich said:

Against my own better judgment, I present 'Wishadelic Demotune', a mix of two of the great audible art installations of the past decade - namely, Psychedelic Tuning and the infamous Wishbass Demo from youtube.

I apologise in advance if this causes distress or genuine harm. It may be an idea to remove small children or animals from the room first. 

I would call it a song nammed - "Welcome" !!!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I hear distant overtones of Pink Floyd's Seamus.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 05/03/2024 at 20:54, thebrig said:

He didn't get the gig.

Psychedelic Tuning.mov

I just played that and now my dog won't be my best friend anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Was this recorded on a farm ? 🐄🙂

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I feel that Mr Phillips' magnum opus, A Night in Langney, could benefit from a remix.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1