Why become a member? ×

Rig Rundown: Tool's Justin Chancellor

2 hours ago, madshadows said:

Really enjoyed that rig rundown, Justin was great and down to earth, never really listened to TOOL, can anyone recommend an album to start with ? :) 

John 😎 

Their best album is Lateralus (listen to it in the "Holy Gift" running order - see https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/tools-secret-mind-blowing-album-the-holy-gift/list/check-out-the-title-track-below/ - regardless of the hokum around the fibonacci theory, it makes for a better listen if you ask me)

Having said that my favourite Tool song (Forty Six & 2) is on Aenima, which gets pretty heavy musically and conceptually towards the end. 

SBL recently featured this analysis of a bunch of songs, which will open the doors to best JC lines from these and other albums if you can bear the presentation style:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madshadows said:

Really enjoyed that rig rundown, Justin was great and down to earth, never really listened to TOOL, can anyone recommend an album to start with ? :) 

John 😎 

I'd suggest the Aenima album, it's got everything that makes their later albums great but with perhaps a little bit more emphasis on conventional song structures. The earlier Opiate EP and Undertow album are also great, but the latter does have a rather horrible mix (thanks to the loudness war possibly).

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

^^

Yep.

Ænima or Lateralus to start with

Agree - Aenima has some great songs, (although separately I am not a big fan of the general lyrical crudeness of their earlier work). Lateralus is mind-bendingly immense. If all their albums were like that I'd understand why they take so long between them!

17 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Somehow I didnt know that either. I also realised I had no idea what either he or Adam Jones looked like---I like Tool, but I know very little about them for some reason!

Carina Round, who is the singer in Maynard's Puscifer side-project, is also English so I wonder if thats just a coincidence or if there's some kind of connection. 

I very much enjoyed the watch, good video. I did laugh when his tech admitted they change strings during soundcheck and then again halfway through a show. Thats pretty remarkable. I also like the fact that despite having quite a complex rig, there's no MIDI switching bollocks, and I definitely love the fact he's not using any "boutique" unobtainium pedals. 

Will probably have some Tool on my headphones on my commute tomorrow, although I find the albums a bit bloated. They have some absolutely glorious moments but I think they need a better editor at times. 

20 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Aenima is my favourite by a mile. 

Lateralus is the poster child for "glorious moments but too bloated". There's about three tracks too many IMO and almost all of them are too long. 

I'm one of these weirdos that actually prefers Puscifer, tbh... 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Used to love Aenima, but it's getting a bit dated IMO now, though probably a bit more accessible than some others.

Definitely Lateralus, and definitely Fear Inoculum. I'd recommend starting there.

10,000 Days has it's moments, but is one you need to have an appreciation of Tool first before listening to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/02/2024 at 10:04, ezbass said:

Really impressed that Justin was the rig guide rather than just handing it off to his tech as most of these videos seem to be. Then having the tech there at the same time was as thorough as it gets. Kudos to team Chancellor.

just watching some tool on yt ..quite impressive but what came out of this was a realisation that these guys are just normal guys not playing what i would say is outrageously difficult stuff ...but somehow through coordinated focus they rise above it all and produce something quite extraordinary ...  so when on an interview justin seems to come across as a fairly regular guy ..well no surprises there. I was in fact going to go for a ticket at their upcoming london show till i saw the price ...300 quid a ticket ..jeez. 

Edited by Musicman666

19 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

just watching some tool on yt ..quite impressive but what came out of this was a realisation that these guys are just normal guys not playing what i would say is outrageously difficult stuff ...but somehow through coordinated focus they rise above it all and produce something quite extraordinary ...  so when on an interview justin seems to come across as a fairly regular guy ..well no surprises there. I was in fact going to go for a ticket at their upcoming london show till i saw the price ...300 quid a ticket ..jeez. 

Yes, the drum parts are piece of cake...

And who couldn't pull off those vocals...

Have you had a listen to the "Latheralus" album?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, the drum parts are piece of cake...

And who couldn't pull off those vocals...

Have you had a listen to the "Latheralus" album?

well i have been watching closely but totally open to having my mind changed on this. Not being a drummer yes he seem very able but so do many others in many other what people might consider less technical bands. Definitely think this is a sum of the parts type deal. 

Edited by Musicman666

24 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

It is a pleasant surprise when respected players turn out to be nice, ordinary folk, albeit, or even in spite of, being in exceptional circumstances. Way too many buy into their own hype and become divas, or just plain arseholes. I’ve witnessed the polar opposites at bass and guitar shows: super, down to earth guys (take a bow Lee Sklar) and far less pleasant folk.

• Like 1