Why become a member? ×

Wooten has no soul?!!!

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while?[/quote]

I dispute that. My Missus has the most awesome slap technique. Nearly took a tooth out once. As regards the rest of this indignant little rant, here's a life lesson:

Not everyone likes the same things and wildly slagging people off for showing insufficient respect to one's heroes makes one look a bit silly. Particularly if the endeavour in question is the fairly trivial ability to master a particular bass guitar style; compared, say, to bringing peace to the Middle East, or finding a cure for cancer.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='487444' date='May 13 2009, 11:29 PM']I dispute that. My Missus has the most awesome slap technique. Nearly took a tooth out once. As regards the rest of this indignant little rant, here's a life lesson:

Not everyone likes the same things and slagging people off for showing insufficient respect to one's heroes makes you look a bit silly.[/quote]Agreed.

[quote name='rslaing' post='487430' date='May 13 2009, 11:17 PM']if you like slap, get a load of this

OUTRAGEOUS, and check his other stuff out too...........makes Wooten look a bit average IMO[/quote]

How can you moan about Wooten being a "one trick pony" and then tout this guy as being better than him? :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='487454' date='May 13 2009, 11:37 PM']How can you moan about Wooten being a "one trick pony" and then tout this guy as being better than him? :)[/quote]

Who is moaning? FFS....open your mind a little?

Have a look at his other stuff.............like I said. He is very versatile. I don't particularly like/prefer it. I uploaded it to show there are other people (unrecognised) that have equal if not better ability in this genre than Wooten and the like.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/gianniserino"]http://www.myspace.com/gianniserino[/url]

He is certainly NOT a one trick pony..............

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='rslaing' post='487458' date='May 13 2009, 11:44 PM']Who is moaning? FFS....open your mind a little?

Have a look at his other stuff.............like I said. He is very versatile. I don't particularly like/prefer it. I uploaded it to show there are other people (unrecognised) that have equal if not better ability in this genre than Wooten and the like.[/quote]

All you’ve shown me is that there’s another bass player who can rival even the biggest fret w***ers out there. I was genuinely completely unimpressed by all those videos. The guy has great technique and I wish I was half as good as him, but he’s doing f*** all with it and w***ing unimaginatively all over the place. It sounds awful!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']Have you listened to all of his albums?[/quote]

I bought the first one when it came out, I think it was 96 or 97. I was impressed with a couple of the tunes in terms of the amount of different rhythms he was making all at the same time (I was also impressed that he could play bass up a unicycle - no obvious tonal benefits I could think of but if you're a party-piece bassist I suppose it pays to have some circus tricks), but the plinky-plunky double-thumb slap stuff sounded ****ing awful, and it still does.

It's all very well being a talented instrumentalist, but if you use those skills to produce ****ing awful noises then you can expect people to pick you up on it.

It's not just the famous bassists who manage to produce terrible music though. I think 99% of solo bass recordings sound like sh*t. Especially those bassists who insist on whacking a rhythm into a delay pedal and soloing over the top of it like it's clever. Almost guaranteed to sound like sh*t, and make the perpetrator look like a pompous knobhead.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='487467' date='May 14 2009, 12:05 AM']All you’ve shown me is that there’s another bass player who can rival even the biggest fret w***ers out there. I was genuinely completely unimpressed by all those videos. The guy has great technique and I wish I was half as good as him, but he’s doing f*** all with it and w***ing unimaginatively all over the place. It sounds awful![/quote]

Yes, that was the whole point of the post. Duh??!!!!

There are people out there who are more talented the so called"gods" that are worshipped on here daily, with perhaps even more technical ability. And they probably don't make any money doing it - and have never been heard of (generally).

And the great thing about this guy is that you can go on to his youtube vids or his myspace site and depending upon what you want to learn, he gives great lesson on technique - for nowt.

As for you being unimpressed - so what? That wasn't and isn't the issue here. It is purely an illustration of a guy who is technically (and he also does some non technical but musical stuff) better than the household names, and isn't up his own arse.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='487470' date='May 14 2009, 12:07 AM']I bought the first one when it came out, I think it was 96 or 97. I was impressed with a couple of the tunes in terms of the amount of different rhythms he was making all at the same time, but the plinky-plunky double-thumb slap stuff sounded ****ing awful, and it still does.

It's all very well being a talented instrumentalist, but if you use those skills to produce ****ing awful noises then you can expect people to pick you up on it.

It's not just the famous bassists who manage to produce terrible music though. I think 99% of solo bass recordings sound like sh*t. Especially those bassists who insist on whacking a rhythm into a delay pedal and soloing over the top of it like it's clever. Almost guaranteed to sound like sh*t, and make the perpetrator look like a pompous knobhead.[/quote]

I agree totally.....well said. I was always taught that the bass should be felt and not heard. (My father - jazz pianist). Slightly conservative, but I know what he meant.

[quote name='rslaing' post='487473' date='May 14 2009, 12:14 AM']Yes, that was the whole point of the post. Duh??!!!!

There are people out there who are more talented the so called"gods" that are worshipped on here daily, with perhaps even more technical ability. And they probably don't make any money doing it - and have never been heard of (generally).

And the great thing about this guy is that you can go on to his youtube vids or his myspace site and depending upon what you want to learn, he gives great lesson on technique - for nowt.

As for you being unimpressed - so what? That wasn't and isn't the issue here. It is purely an illustration of a guy who is technically (and he also does some non technical but musical stuff) better than the household names, and isn't up his own arse.[/quote]

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree with this one mate.

I'm not going to write anything relating to the subject in hand - all of it has been said in previous posts (and threads) and i don't really have an opinion that is strong enough to warrant a post, it'd pretty much be "yeah, hmm, OK" to both sides of the argument.
BUT, the comments and put downs in this thread have certainly got me chuckling! :) :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Whether you like his output or not you have to admit he has a monstrous feel, it's to die for.
I don't like some of the material but I would guess he wouldn't like some of mine :)
I thought the other guy (Serino) has great facility but has chosen (in those videos at least) all the elements of bass playing that I don't like and cobbled them together in one fretw***ing festival extraordinot.

Edit
a little note to the OP, I agree with some of the other posts that it's prob a good idea to be a little less caustic when others don't like what you do, it's pointless, we all are interested in different things and we pretty much tolerate one anothers views here, two reasons why this is a great place!!

Edited by jakesbass

90% of the time he's really on it (though he'd be a lot more appreciated if his tone wasn't so trebly) but it's the 10% of the time pyrotechnics that's got him really well known and pays a lot of the bills.

If you don't like the pyrotechnics (I'm not a fan) then really avoid Reggie Wooten (his big bro) because he does the same thing but on guitar - the horror!

Alex

[quote name='jakesbass' post='487585' date='May 14 2009, 09:38 AM']Whether you like his output or not you have to admit he has a monstrous feel, it's to die for.
I don't like some of the material but I would guess he wouldn't like some of mine :)
I thought the other guy (Serino) has great facility but has chosen (in those videos at least) all the elements of bass playing that I don't like and cobbled them together in one fretw***ing festival extraordinot.

Edit
a little note to the OP, I agree with some of the other posts that it's prob a good idea to be a little less caustic when others don't like what you do, it's pointless, we all are interested in different things and we pretty much tolerate one anothers views here, two reasons why this is a great place!![/quote]

Gianni Serino's vids are all taken from his youtube/myspace sites - they are 99% educational and basically show people how to play in certain styles. They are purely there for that purpose. If you watch all his stuff you can see how skilled he is in all areas, from classical to soul, pop, fusion, funk - the whole gamut.

He certainly does not play like this when in a group scenario - how could he? He plays some mean jazz (yep - even 4 to the bar), and in spite of my not liking the huge majority of what he does, I appreciate his skills and abilities and don't think there is anyone to match him in the technical arena.

But I prefer to listen to Ron Carter and Steve Swallow

[quote name='rslaing' post='487473' date='May 14 2009, 12:14 AM']And the great thing about this guy is that you can go on to his youtube vids or his myspace site and depending upon what you want to learn, he gives great lesson on technique - for nowt.[/quote]
[quote name='rslaing' post='487818' date='May 14 2009, 12:55 PM']Gianni Serino's vids are all taken from his youtube/myspace sites - they are 99% educational and basically show people how to play in certain styles. They are purely there for that purpose.[/quote]

You and/or he have a funny understanding of the definition of “lesson”.

[quote name='rslaing' post='487473' date='May 14 2009, 12:14 AM']It is purely an illustration of a guy who is technically (and he also does some non technical but musical stuff) better than the household names, and isn't up his own arse.[/quote]
[quote name='rslaing' post='487818' date='May 14 2009, 12:55 PM']…I appreciate his skills and abilities and don't think there is anyone to match him in the technical arena.[/quote]

I’ve seen no evidence of this. His videos are pretty much recorded in exactly the same format that 95% of the other music virtuosos record their videos and post them on youtube; a brief spoken intro followed by a couple of minutes of ridiculous skill but lack of imagination to do anything other than w*** all over the place with it. If you think there’s no one that can match him in his technical ability, then “FFS....open your mind a little?”. I’m obviously not denying the guy’s skill and ability, but of course there are people out there and on this very forum who could give him a run for his money. You’re no different from anyone on here who’s been defending Wooten when you say “I don't think there is anyone to match him in the technical arena” about this guy – that’s exactly the same as someone saying “Wooten cannot be rivalled in terms of his technical ability”. You were telling me to open my mind, but I think you’ve got the blinkers on mate.

[quote name='rslaing' post='487818' date='May 14 2009, 12:55 PM']He certainly does not play like this when in a group scenario - how could he? He plays some mean jazz (yep - even 4 to the bar), and in spite of my not liking the huge majority of what he does, I appreciate his skills and abilities and don't think there is anyone to match him in the technical arena.[/quote]
I'm sure you're right and there is no doubt he can play. I think thats the problem with rapid media, we tend to make our minds up too easily (Imean me of course)
[quote name='rslaing' post='487818' date='May 14 2009, 12:55 PM']But I prefer to listen to Ron Carter and Steve Swallow[/quote]
So do I.

Hey, What about pinning one "Wootenie" thread in OT section (all talkies about him go in that way in the end, anyway, right..?) and banning all other, future-coming ones, eh? :)

I think, I'm really gettin' sick about reading things people tell about him over and over again.. :wacko:

How many of you, already 'signed' in this particular thread (or the latter one - "Wooten - all of this doesn't seem right.."), are 'participating' in Wooten'oesque thread FOR THE FIRST TIME? I guess, not many, actually..

People, AREN'T YOU TIRED OF THIS?

I am.

Faith.