Why become a member? ×

New Cort Space Headless Model

BassApprentice

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I've always said my reviews I shoot are No Ego, No Shred, Just Bass. I should probably start hash tagging that!

I think it depends on the intended market. For example for a P bass I doubt anyone wants to hear double thumb/tapping. But for a bass e.g. Dingwall, people conversely are less likely to want to hear it play Come Together and more likely to want some shred.

I agree about focusing on the sound of the bass/gear and not the sound of the player. I sometimes come across the channel Bass Bonedo when looking for reviews.

His USP is no talking and (relatively) simple playing, but shockingly he has over 250 videos and only 12.5k subs. While the flashy boys have far more subs.

Shows you what works on the internet just now.

• Like 2

Just now, Kev said:

Joking aside, as much as I love Nate's playing, his bass demos are actually entirely useless for this exact reason.  Everything sounds overwhelmingly like him, and the techniques he uses overpower anything unique about the bass itself.  I  just wish influencers would just stick to playing the most basic riffs, or recognisable riffs, so you can really get a feel over what the bass can do, not what they can do.

A fine point, well made.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just noticed that the Cort is down to £649 at Thomann.

Yeah, but not available for a couple of months. I wouldn't be suprised if the price goes up once in stock - I've seen shops do that before. It dissuades you buying from elsewhere in the meantime. And I think for the sake of £50 it might be worth avoiding international shipments with customs checks, my last Thomann delivery took about 2 weeks to arrive.

21 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just noticed that the Cort is down to £649 at Thomann.

Peach Guitars have both colours available just now at £597
I got mine there a bit back and fast delivery & nice set up....

From a fairly newb perspective, mine is awesome.  Absolutely awesome to play & the headless system is a joy.  & it sounds lovely acoustically too.  Slightly underwhelmed by the electric sound, but need to work out if that's my set up, or the bass.  My Harley Benton HBZ2005 might just have had hotter pickups....

Edited by Richie_b
Correcting spelling

On 18/04/2024 at 16:33, Machines said:

I think it depends on the intended market. For example for a P bass I doubt anyone wants to hear double thumb/tapping. But for a bass e.g. Dingwall, people conversely are less likely to want to hear it play Come Together and more likely to want some shred.

Yes, There’s a balance to be had and, delivering enough differing styles and techniques that clearly demonstrate what an instrument is capable of is completely achievable without making it all about oneself, unless of course, that is entirely the intention 😁

That said, you could argue that I have shot myself in the foot by intentionally under playing as it is now expected that videos should be a massive w@nkfest 😂🤣 for likes 👍, thus making me look less of a capable player. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dood said:

That said, you could argue that I have shot myself in the foot by intentionally under playing as it is now expected that videos should be a massive w@nkfest 😂🤣 for likes 👍, thus making me look less of a capable player. 

I think as an experiment you should do a shred vid and see how it does for clicks. I know you are quite capable.

Edited by Machines

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I think as an experiment you should do a shred vid and see how it does for clicks. I know you are quite capable.

Ok, I’m game. I’ll pick a product that’s suitable and we’ll have a lil play 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machines said:

Also, wear something seductive.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 bRiLLiAnT mate!! #TalentAndYearsOfExperienceNotNeeded 🤣

3 hours ago, Machines said:

Also, wear something seductive.

I believe a tutu is the approved apparel. Although perhaps in the interest of differentiation, a leotard would suffice.

Just now, Dood said:

Yes, There’s a balance to be had and, delivering enough differing styles and techniques that clearly demonstrate what an instrument is capable of is completely achievable without making it all about oneself, unless of course, that is entirely the intention 😁

Of course, if the idea is to remove the personality and skill of the person playing in the demo from the equation then I'm quite happy to be the control who exhibits neither :) ;)

Edited by ahpook

18 hours ago, Machines said:

You are the talent, so to speak. Is there an OF yet ?

Totally! Skimpy top and turbo aircon already delivered! Watch the likes roll in. 

I had my eye on one of these from Peach guitars. They had 2 in stock but they both apparently sold today. Priced at £597 I’m not really surprised. Oh well, need to wait until they start appearing second hand. 

Truth is I’d probably realise yet again the 5 strings are not for me and put it up for sale within a couple of months 😂

Will look forward to the Dood’s review to see what I missed. 

16 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

I had my eye on one of these from Peach guitars. They had 2 in stock but they both apparently sold today. Priced at £597 I’m not really surprised. Oh well, need to wait until they start appearing second hand. 

Truth is I’d probably realise yet again the 5 strings are not for me and put it up for sale within a couple of months 😂

I'm looking forward to taking it off your hands.

21 hours ago, tauzero said:

the Mayones Caledonius reminded me very strongly of a kettle.

I'm a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
Tip me over and pour me out!

I'm a very special teapot
Yes, it's true
Here's an example of what I can do
I can turn my handle into a spout
Tip me over and pour me out!

It's funny how a small thing like a non curved body where your forearm meets it (I tend to play quite far forward - pluckng in front of the neck pickup) can become an issue. Well, it does for me anyway, but perhaps I'm overly fussy. 

Personally, I find this can make playing uncomfortable. Which is a shame, as surely it would cost next to nothng to round it off. If be tempted to sand it down a bit myself but it'd look a mess. 

PXL_20240424_123907061.thumb.jpg.717424c2e6308fcb27707f8ba4708f07.jpg

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

It's funny how a small thing like a non curved body where your forearm meets it (I tend to play quite far forward - pluckng in front of the neck pickup) can become an issue. Well, it does for me anyway, but perhaps I'm overly fussy. 

Personally, I find this can make playing uncomfortable. Which is a shame, as surely it would cost next to nothng to round it off. If be tempted to sand it down a bit myself but it'd look a mess. 

PXL_20240424_123907061.thumb.jpg.717424c2e6308fcb27707f8ba4708f07.jpg

This is one of the things that worries me. I like the look of it and the spec etc and the reviews are all pretty good but can't get hold of one locally to try. Peach can order one but it's a 20% non-returnable deposit for an order. 

On 24/04/2024 at 14:58, Dazm66 said:

This is one of the things that worries me. I like the look of it and the spec etc and the reviews are all pretty good but can't get hold of one locally to try. Peach can order one but it's a 20% non-returnable deposit for an order. 

If I were Peach I'd regret discounting a new in in-demand Bass for £600 while pretty much every other UK shop sells for closer to £750 and are sold out everywhere. It's not like they needed to put that discount on to sell (unless they were B stock or something). Most price match though, so if Peach happen to do that deal again you could try with another shop that has them to try out.

It's a good Bass, my thought process is what are the alternatives for a well balanced, 5 string, lightweight, relatively cheap Bass?

The closest non multiscale 5 string alternative is probably the Ibanez EHB 1005  which is about £1k. (and doesn't appear on the Ibanez website anymore so I think it's old stock, it seems the 1505 is the new - more expensive version). The Ibanez its better in some ways (sweepable mids, passive tone control, s-locks, a bit lighter, saddles can move strings sideways, rounder where forearm meets the body) but I'm not sure it's worth £300 more, and there are a few things I prefer on the Cort (colours, zero fret, non-slanted back, non-locking jack).   

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1