Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a compressor

Vin Venal

I don't really understand compression, and you can't really go by demos, cuz compression is more of a thing you feel imo.

I've used two compressors, one was the Aguilar TLC which I hated cuz it had too many knobs which confused me, and when it was on it made my sound worse. The one I'm using at the moment is the behringer CS-9 which is based on the ibabez CP-9, but has better bass response. I like the way this sounds, and I don't have to think about what the knobs do too much cuz it sounds OK with them all pointing straight up, but it's cheap and not at all vibey.

So what I want is:

Something that sounds gentle, like it's just softly smoothing everything out and making everything sound subtly better.

Reasonably priced - around 100 quid used or new is fine.

Simpler the better. I don't want a lot of control, that gets me into trouble.

Preferably not a bass specific pedal, cuz I have an aversion to that.

Vibes 

1 minute ago, Vin Venal said:

Only thing that worries me bout the spectra comp is the app based stuff, like will it need updates, will I need to plug it into my phone to make it sound good, cuz I can't be arsed with that stuff.

Yeah. Toneprint has it's good and bad points, but if you look around most people use the default and are very pleased with it.

Im a fan of TC and the toneprint ecosystem.

• Like 1

The lowest cost compressor that people seem to mention in the same breath as empress and cali is probably that Seymour Duncan one, but again that is bass specific. 

You'd find a used one very close to 100 quid.

• Like 1

2nd hand Keeley Bassist. Only three controls, and one of them is just output volume. Automated attack and release times. Does everything from the mildest squish to full limiting. Nice and transparent.
If the name bothers you, the Keeley GC-2 is essentially the same thing - it just lets a little more low-end through.

• Like 3

MXR Bass comp is also available as Studio comp. The same unit, only different graphics.

Spectracomp is most likely your thing. I have Hyper gravity (several, to be honest) which was sold for g-word, but is essentially a Spectra with four pots instead of one. It certainly isn't bass specific.

Sound on Sound has good articles about compression, and www.ovnilab.com is a must to anyone about to buy a unit.

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

You might find a used Trace SMX compressor pedal for £100. Can't get any simpler for having three knobs. One for highs one for lows and the EQ balancer. Subtle as a subtle thing until you crank on it and then you know what you did wrong.

Dood does a really good demo of the one in his TransitB which gives you a good idea what it is about.

You could do worse than a couple of pedals gone byebye and go with the TransitB. Unity gain distortion is the holy grail. Never go for the overdrive and blow out the room again. They seem to be going around the £200 mark. Friggen bargain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

You might find a used Trace SMX compressor pedal for £100. Can't get any simpler for having three knobs. One for highs one for lows and the EQ balancer. Subtle as a subtle thing until you crank on it and then you know what you did wrong.

Dood does a really good demo of the one in his TransitB which gives you a good idea what it is about.

You could do worse than a couple of pedals gone byebye and go with the TransitB. Unity gain distortion is the holy grail. Never go for the overdrive and blow out the room again. They seem to be going around the £200 mark. Friggen bargain.

Hadn't heard of the SMX compressor, but that pedal definitely has vibes.

The transit b is not my thing I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, MartinB said:

2nd hand Keeley Bassist. Only three controls, and one of them is just output volume. Automated attack and release times. Does everything from the mildest squish to full limiting. Nice and transparent.
If the name bothers you, the Keeley GC-2 is essentially the same thing - it just lets a little more low-end through.

Went with this in the end cuz one came up on marketplace. Think I can live with it saying bassist on it, as it ticks all my other boxes. 😁

Thanks for the suggestions all.

6 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

The transit b is not my thing I'm afraid

How so?

As a DI preamp I can't for the life of me fathom why it doesn't have pre and post loops for more fx.

Otherwise, it's got a lot going on that covers a whole lot of ground, including the famed SMX dual band compressor.

I appreciate you are already covered for compression, just curious how it got written off.

On 15/02/2024 at 08:07, Downunderwonder said:

How so?

As a DI preamp I can't for the life of me fathom why it doesn't have pre and post loops for more fx.

Otherwise, it's got a lot going on that covers a whole lot of ground, including the famed SMX dual band compressor.

I appreciate you are already covered for compression, just curious how it got written off.

I dunno, I think I prefer separate pedals over multi effects, and I'm not really into the whole bass preamp pedal as a concept, I prefer to find overdrive and boost pedals I like and stack em. My current rig is a compressor, a fuzz and a boost into a proco rat. 🤷🏼‍♀️

EBS multicomp! Two knobs, fairly low ratio (5:1 max, min 1:1) three modes have different tones.

Normal - full range and transparent 

Multi band - highs and lows compressed separately, very clean and articulate

Tube- adds a warm colouration to the tone

They can be picked up fairly inexpensively. Warning very high output basses can clip it though.

• Like 1

You don't really notice the real added value of a compressor (unless it does more than just compress) until you hear it within the total mix of instruments in your band.

That said, Spectracomp is the worst one I have ever tried. It squashes everything to bits and does some weird stuff to mid frequencies. It is on my TC RH750 head but I absolutely hate it.

Great ones:

- Cali76 cb for overall performance. You only notice it when you switch it off. Adds some texture and makes your bass playing a bit more beefy. This is my fave compressor of all, works equally great with 4, 5 string passive and active basses.

- Diamond Bass Compressor. Bit less punchy, bit more squashy than the Cali76. Adds lovely warmth to your tone that makes your bass grip with the mix better.  Also highly recommended by moi.

- EBS Multicomp. Multiple different types of great compression in a somewhat affordable pedal. This one has been a big selling pedal for years now and not without a reason.

- Aguilar TLC. Makes your bass sound more punchy. Awesome for slap stuff.

- MXR Bass Compressor. Really good but neutral compressor.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 2

Don’t be put off by the toneprint functionality of the Spectracomp. I geeked out and tried every preset going and fiddling with all the parameters just to find that the stock preset was pretty much dialled in perfectly out of the box. So I reset it back to that and haven’t touched that side since, and I just have a simple one-knob compressor. I have owned several much fancier comps in the past but this one is perfect for my needs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve discovered I don’t need a compressor at all as I found it added nothing and took away always something ! 

They do that if they're not dialled in with the right settings, but they do the exact opposite when configured correctly. 

• Like 2

If you're not averse to the idea of installing a compressor onboard, like an EQ, then might I be so bold as to suggest the One-Knob compressor that I make:

jtex.ca/okc

I think it really whips the Llama's arse, but I might be biased, so don't just listen to me.

If it must be in a pedal format, you can easily mount it in a stomp box yourself. Just needs the I/O jacks. 

THE BOSS LMB-3 LIMITER ENHANCER....

offer's tremendous V.F.M  it does the job & it does it well.... on the used market these pedals can found for £50 or less....

One note for this pedal...turn the Enhance Knob  OFF!!!! for all it offers his hiss....other than that for myself it is a great introduction to compression @ a very affordable price.

Edited by paulo m