Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no idea

Kowad

Good evening!

I have no idea what I’m doing, and am having a fantastic time doing it. Came to bass late pandemic, after running through piano and guitar, and it was bass that really stuck. Couple of years with idk an hour a day? Happy with some things, definitely hit a wall with some aspects of learning. 

Tbf this is a bit of a repeating theme. I’ve built a shitload of eurorack / modular, had a great time with it, but dammit I need theory. Probably looking for someone who can teach fretless and idk what, it was late 90s gabber and hard house that got me into “music” but I’ve been playing Portrait of Tracy obsessively for the last two months so. 

Second bass was a marleaux diva bc I’m happiest when completely out of my depth, why not dig in with fretless. I’ve picked up a couple of other v v lovely fretlesses over the last year or so. 

I am a raging autist, but can pass as normal in most situations. One consequence, neither a performer nor a natural band member, happiest being deeply out of my depth learning new stuff. (Hence jaco partly tbf, harmonics). 

Good to be here. I’ll now get round to reading board etiquette etc 😂

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!

:crigon_04:

Like Learning new stuff? There are a million rabbit holes to go down in this site, even aside from the brain-melt that the theory threads throw up sometimes. Check out Build Diaries. Mostly woodwork, then occasionally up pops  a thread on Arduino,  3D printing and all sorts of mad things to make a bass with!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard!

:crigon_04:

Like Learning new stuff? There are a million rabbit holes to go down in this site, even aside from the brain-melt that the theory threads throw up sometimes. Check out Build Diaries. Mostly woodwork, then occasionally up pops  a thread on Arduino,  3D printing and all sorts of mad things to make a bass with!

There is a very real risk I may end up making my own bass 😂

Attached is the synth I built. I’m not good at moderation. 

040D4E3A-A896-4486-9F60-144C6CBFD8C5.jpeg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Kowad.

What does this bit do?

image.png.afe6b06570098e92ef3c56820a310bd0.png

It’s an attack release sequencer. It runs four sequential AR envelopes with A and R varied by the mini knobs. It’s only guaranteed to reset to 0v after the full sequence (an envelope might finish on 2v say so the next one picks up from there), so you can get some complex “envelope” patterns going. 

edit: https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules/p/arseq

all those modules are ^^^ his designs. 

Edited by Kowad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kowad said:

It’s an attack release sequencer. It runs four sequential AR envelopes with A and R varied by the mini knobs. It’s only guaranteed to reset to 0v after the full sequence (an envelope might finish on 2v say so the next one picks up from there), so you can get some complex “envelope” patterns going. 

Oh.  What I was thinking was almost right then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Kowad said:

There is a very real risk I may end up making my own bass 😂

Attached is the synth I built. I’m not good at moderation. 

040D4E3A-A896-4486-9F60-144C6CBFD8C5.jpeg

" Not good at moderation " 😁

You're definitely among friends here!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Richard R said:

I just had an explore round the Nonlinear circuits Web site.

He has some other strangely named modules:

The suppository of all wisdom

Or Poultry in Motion. A lot of them have hidden text on the rear of the panels too, often referencing obscure Aussie films and / or mid-90s gabber. 

There's one of everything he's designed in that rack (apart from the most recent releases, which are on my desk but haven't yet been built). It became a bit of a lockdown mission / obsession 😂

I haven't used it for anything bass related, though it should be possible to do so in principle 👀