Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: the MS-60B+

Rich

Of particular interest, the new MS-60B+. 

Bax have the guitar version, listing here. I imagine the operational description will be common to all the new + units.

If those 'scroll' buttons do what I'm hoping they do, they will be a massive improvement on the current unplussed version - its patch cycling is its real Achilles' heel.

@Dood, if you can get your hands on one of these for review, I will be all ears. Eyes. Whatever.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 6

• Rich changed the title to New Zoom Multi FX: the MS-60B+

Ooooh exciting :) I love my MS-60B and depending on what is different, I might get this new one. Shame about the colour of the new one, it looks a bit cheap compared to the burgundy of the current one. 

• Like 1

Oooh the MS-60B was my first bass pedal over a decade ago, and I'm now a dedicated B1-4 fanboi. Excited to find out what upgrades they've got going here!

Agree about the one-way patch cycling being a limitation on the original MS-60B and if this also has a decent tuner it could be a neat alternative to the B1-4, although the LED tuner on that is great for live use on darkened stages. 

Just checked the spec - it does have a tuner

+ 100 patches (vs 26 on the MS-60B) 

+ 6 effects in the chain (up from 4)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

I'll just repeat what I said in the cult thread.

They seem to be taking their time releasing the MS-60B+ (and the MS-70CDR+). Interesting to see the new extensions to the range, the MS-200D+ (guitar drives and distortions) and MS-80IR+ (presumably IRs, not released yet).

Looking at the MS-50G+, they've gone from 30 presets and 50 user patches on the MS-50G to 85 presets and 15 user patches (admittedly, if the same was true of the MS-60B+ then that would still be at least 10 more than I need). USB-C port now, and still no port of software to Android. You'd think that Zoom might notice that 75% of the smartphone market is Android. There are also fewer effects on the G+ (100, the G shipped with 100 but another 72 can be downloaded). Effects chain length remains 6, still 24-bit with 128x oversampling on A/D and D/A conversions, still 32-bit processing, so is this a hardware change rather than anything significant in the guts of the machine?

• Like 1

It also still seems to have the old retro looking 8 bit display screen which is kind of nice for a retro feel but a more modern LED screen I think would of been nice. Probably put the price up somewhat though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

It also still seems to have the old retro looking 8 bit display screen which is kind of nice for a retro feel but a more modern LED screen I think would of been nice. Probably put the price up somewhat though.

Also would reduce the time it runs on AA batteries for, one of the main reasons I have 3 of the older model is the fact I can just throw it on the floor and play.

As long as these still allow you to move fx between units I’ll be happy with them.

I fgot a MS100BT yesterday and I’m starting to think all I want over the stock bass unit is the Particle Reverb.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2024 at 12:38, tayste_2000 said:

Also would reduce the time it runs on AA batteries for, one of the main reasons I have 3 of the older model is the fact I can just throw it on the floor and play.

As long as these still allow you to move fx between units I’ll be happy with them.

I fgot a MS100BT yesterday and I’m starting to think all I want over the stock bass unit is the Particle Reverb.

Apparently saying the MS100BT has now been discontinued by Zoom? 

• Like 1

My 60B lives in my Bits Box, also known as my Get Out Of Jail Free box. I have pressed it into service many times. As a replacement or in its own right when travelling light. 

I wouldn't be without it. I would however happily be with a new improved version.

• Like 1

ITDAA you'd think they'd sell one type of unit and let you install whichever software suited you.

Rather than separate bass and guitar models, let the user decide. 

Surely more cost effective than producing different bodies.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Apparently saying the MS100BT has now been discontinued by Zoom? 

It was never that popular or easy to find. iOS only etc, on one hand it’s great you can add fx over bluetooth but you can’t backup or share settings so as a duplicate pedal to another MS it gets really tedious setting it up.

I have a 60B, 70CDR and 100BT. They all just fulfil the need of a misc effect when required or something I can throw down at a jam and be away running on batteries.

I have loads of issues with them but they are still the best at what they do.

• Like 1

Just now, stewblack said:

ITDAA you'd think they'd sell one type of unit and let you install whichever software suited you.

Don’t know if the colour change and screen print differences cost so much if they can bulk order the shells.

Also I think a lot of people would find the process of doing what you suggest intimidating.

It’s basically what the 100BT is and they are the least popular model.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Bet they sell more targeting them to different audiences- it’s about going here’s your bass amps, want the cool reverbs get another pedal… it’s only relatively recently the original range was backward engineered so they could have whatever patches on them 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Don’t know if the colour change and screen print differences cost so much if they can bulk order the shells.

Also I think a lot of people would find the process of doing what you suggest intimidating.

It’s basically what the 100BT is and they are the least popular model.

Don't forget that the 100BT disregards the 75% of mobile phones that use Android. This is something that Zoom consistently do (they've done it with the G11, B2-Four, B6, and now the MS-50G+) and I don't understand it. Designing the user interface, the format of any database used, and the messages between pedal and phone are the big bits, they could surely hire someone in to port the iOS program over to Android. That could have quadrupled demand for the 100BT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Don't forget that the 100BT disregards the 75% of mobile phones that use Android. This is something that Zoom consistently do (they've done it with the G11, B2-Four, B6, and now the MS-50G+) and I don't understand it. Designing the user interface, the format of any database used, and the messages between pedal and phone are the big bits, they could surely hire someone in to port the iOS program over to Android. That could have quadrupled demand for the 100BT.

I don’t disagree that an android app would have been good - but my brain also wondered why they hadn’t so I dug into it a bit more … 

globally today android makes up 75% - but in 2011-2012 when the ms100bt would have been in development the market leader would have been symbianOS - with a clear change coming in 2012 towards android and iOS

In the U.K. in 2012 when the ms100bt came out iOS 43% market share

android was third with 25%
For 2022 it’s closer to 52% iOS 48% android 

for the US Android is even further behind as 2nd most popular.

49/40 in 2012

48/42 in 2023

from what I can read 2012 android is fractionally more popular in japan but in 2012 far less Japanese people had smartphones compared to the US and it was the year that apple became the most popular phone brand… 

Last 12 months is 67% iOS 32% android

so from what I can work out, if you were going to make an app for the markets where you were selling gear, then iOS would still possibly make sense. I wonder if the 100bt was based on pressure to have something like it in the US or something- from what I can make out it didn’t sell amazingly and had a convoluted “effect store” thing that they eventually binned - with small sales and android being less of a thing in japan spending the ¥ to port it over to android wouldn’t be a priority

https://www.statista.com/statistics/487373/market-share-mobile-operating-systems-uk/#:~:text=Apple's iOS was the leading,the market leader in 2019.

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/iphone-android-users#

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/japan

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I don’t disagree that an android app would have been good - but my brain also wondered why they hadn’t so I dug into it a bit more … 

globally today android makes up 75% - but in 2011-2012 when the ms100bt would have been in development the market leader would have been symbianOS - with a clear change coming in 2012 towards android and iOS

49/40 in 2012

48/42 in 2023

from what I can read 2012 android is fractionally more popular in japan but in 2012 far less Japanese people had smartphones compared to the US and it was the year that apple became the most popular phone brand… 

so from what I can work out, if you were going to make an app for the markets where you were selling gear, then iOS would still possibly make sense. I wonder if the 100bt was based on pressure to have something like it in the US or something- from what I can make out it didn’t sell amazingly and had a convoluted “effect store” thing that they eventually binned - with small sales and android being less of a thing in japan spending the ¥ to port it over to android wouldn’t be a priority

https://www.statista.com/statistics/487373/market-share-mobile-operating-systems-uk/#:~:text=Apple's iOS was the leading,the market leader in 2019.

Fascinating stuff, thank you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

49/40 in 2012

48/42 in 2023

Yeah I always steer well clear of the Android iOS debate. For some people it’s near religious.

The 100BT is a clear money grab, those additional fx were 99p in app purchases. 

I think it fell flat on its face because if you buy the 60b you likely don’t need other effects, same with the 70cdr etc etc, sure it’s nice to be able to hack the devices but I find I run a near stock 60b with then a few extra verbs.

The fx then became free, at which point I imagine all future development was abandoned. Which is why you can load fx but can’t backup presets or settings.

The new + models seem like the app will handle this

My first hour with the BT I thought this is the best of the bunch but after that hour of slowly loading fx one by one and doing all the free in app purchases, then finding I can’t save anything or load my existing patches I just felt I can have a bunch of 60b’s I can flash with the settings of the others.

• Like 1

Just now, tayste_2000 said:

Yeah I always steer well clear of the Android iOS debate. For some people it’s near religious.

I have no horse in that race - it was pure Sunday morning wondering and trying to work out why!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I have no horse in that race - it was pure Sunday morning wondering and trying to work out why!

Apparently it's more difficult to do with Android as there are many different phone manufacturers  - although on the same operating system there are still compatability differences, rather than just Apple. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

49/40 in 2012

48/42 in 2023

You'd be most likely to want to use it with a smartphone.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271496/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-vendors-since-4th-quarter-2009/

Latest figure is about 25% Apple, and there's nothing else other than Android of any significance. Even back in 2012, Apple only had 21% of the market, Samsung had about 30% (Android) and Symbian had pretty much disappeared at that point. So the decision to ignore Android still makes no sense.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You'd be most likely to want to use it with a smartphone.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271496/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-vendors-since-4th-quarter-2009/

Latest figure is about 25% Apple, and there's nothing else other than Android of any significance. Even back in 2012, Apple only had 21% of the market, Samsung had about 30% (Android) and Symbian had pretty much disappeared at that point. So the decision to ignore Android still makes no sense.

Those are global stats - but if you look at us/uk/japanese markets iOS is more prevalent. It depends where Zoom are trying to sell their products too. 
none of which stop the ms100bt being the ugly duckling of the product line with or without an android ap

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Those are global stats - but if you look at us/uk/japanese markets iOS is more prevalent. It depends where Zoom are trying to sell their products too. 
none of which stop the ms100bt being the ugly duckling of the product line with or without an android ap

But now there's also the G11, B2-Four, B6, and the MS-50G+ - presumably all the MS+ series will also be ignored in terms of an Android app. And it's no longer 2012.

• Like 2