Why become a member? ×

Japanese PB-62 Fender - advice/opinions!

Pearson182

I got a Japanese PB-62 as part of a trade a few years back and have never had the opportunity to try any others - the guitar plays and sounds incredible however I have always wanted to double check it against another (purely due to it being a 1993/94 dated Japanese guitar - and it’s difficult to find much info online).  Beneath the neck joint on the body is a date of 1-6-94 which appears hand written and no other markings I can see (this matches the serial).

What I’m primarily trying to do is check to see if this is the original body for the neck (potentially based on the pots which I’ve attached pictures of?) - if anyone has any good Fender Japan knowledge from this period especially with the re-issues?.

IMG_7405.thumb.jpeg.5bc55caf49ea067f792fb0a702001808.jpeg

IMG_7401.jpeg

IMG_7402.jpeg

IMG_7404.jpeg

IMG_7403.jpeg

• Like 1

From the pics it certainly looks identical to the 1990 japanese '62 reissue Precision I used to own. I can't see the strap buttons clearly, but it looks like they might have been swapped out for staplock buttons. I recall there was also a 'hootenanny' strap button on the back of the headstock. It also looks like someone took a dislike to the finish on the back of the neck on yours for some reason.

• Thanks 1

The neck was sanded down by the previous owner (for his personal preference in how the neck felt - which is why I got a decent deal on it when I got it) - I changed the strap locks myself to Ernie balls (so I can easily swap guitars but use the same strap) but do still own the originals! I can relatively safely assume this wasn’t a separate body put with the neck then really? 

Looks legit except for the sanded neck and strap buttons. No pictures of tuners, which can often distinguish between an instrument made for the domestic market (i.e. Japan) or overseas.

These are nice, dependable instruments.

12 hours ago, Pearson182 said:

I’ve been debating getting the neck re finished for a while in all honesty! Is it an easy enough job for someone that hasn’t done it before with the oil and wool? 

Yep... more pics of the back of the neck...

8 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I have had one with a tort plate that red before. 

I'm a dyed in the wool Fender Japan Precision fanboi. Never known a bad one and bought every one without trying it. 

lol

when I came here and wanted to find info on Japanese basses I noticed you always chipped in. 

from a distance you have helped loads. Especially regarding changing the electronics. 

2 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

lol

when I came here and wanted to find info on Japanese basses I noticed you always chipped in. 

from a distance you have helped loads. Especially regarding changing the electronics. 

I would certainly hope so. I have changed pickups generally. Changes to pots (to CTS and cloth wiring) have been more affectation than necessity, really.

The build quality has always seemed to be excellent in every example I've seen.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gotoh GB-1 tuners and barrel saddles are a match, and likely pinpoint it as a PB62-53. The very red tort doesn't look out of place on an older MIJ. The body on the PB62-53 will typically be basswood. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

As @PaulThePlug commented, I would Tru oil the back of the neck to seal it and then maybe apply some wax (similar finish to Musicman basses) 

Very easy to do, I've done this to most of my basses now as I cannot cope with with heavy lacquered sticky necks. 

True oil (around £10 for a small pot) is very easy to apply with a cloth. Leave to dry after each coat and apply a few, then lightly sand or wire wool and apply wax. 

Try on a scrap of wood first, if you want to see the result. 

Thanks Neil  

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 07.17.41.png

• Like 2

+ You can massively improve the appearance of transitions between the gloss lacquered areas and satin Tru oil area of the neck by wrapping some masking tape squarely and evenly around the neck and very carefully remove the laquer up to the line, I did with a very sharp craft knife and various grades of sandpaper. Again it’s fairly easy… and satifies my OCD.

You can get a finish like a MM bass as below.

image.png.edd74c98018ee1aa8615082bcecf4826.png

Edited by orangepeelneil