Why become a member? ×

Where is this rattle?

asingardenof

So my V7 has developed an annoying rattle/buzz behind the nut and I'm not sure what the most likely culprit is. It seems to be related to the A string, but I've made sure it's secure on the tuning peg, and the string tree pulls it down at a decent angle over the nut. So could it be the tuner? The tree? The nut? The problem seems to disappear when I press the A string behind the nut but if it is that what could I do about it without having to resort to take it for repairs, which is economically unviable at the moment? As you can hear from the video the buzz also appears when plucking the open D and G strings, but not the E.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Ibhad a couple of instances in which it was the machine heads themselves that were rattling. Try touching/holding the machin heads in various ways and see if it changes. It may not be the one attached to the A

• Like 4

Could be the angle at which the nut slot was filed. If this slot is not straight (horizontal), it might not match the angle at which the string runs from the nut to the string tree. This would be confirmed by the buzz disappearing when you press down the A-string behind the nut. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

The problem seems to disappear when I press the A string behind the nut

Just now, LeftyJ said:

This would be confirmed by the buzz disappearing when you press down the A-string behind the nut. 

There you go 👍

I have had this problem also when the nut slot had been filed too wide and I then used a narrow gauge A (specifically a TI Jazz Flat A). My work arounds were (1) to restring carefully so the string was emerging from the very bottom of the tuner peg and/or (2) to use a fret wrap just behind the nut

• Like 1

What I do:

The cheapest capo Thomann got in their inventory, placed on the neck a bit behind the nut.

image.thumb.png.ec0434fa58cb0aa62b0e64a201f07df1.png

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbc06_capo_acoustic_electric.htm

You might even experience that the individual strings all together rings a bit clearer after you've done this.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Definitely sounds like it's rattling in the nut slot from what you've said. Try adding a small shim of paper or card in the slot and see if it goes (or improves). This will prove whether it is the nut or not. Apparently cooper shielding tape in the slot works well to help fix this, if you don't want to replace the nut. Haven't tried it myself though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Definitely sounds like it's rattling in the nut slot from what you've said. Try adding a small shim of paper or card in the slot and see if it goes (or improves). This will prove whether it is the nut or not. Apparently cooper shielding tape in the slot works well to help fix this, if you don't want to replace the nut. Haven't tried it myself though.

Initial efforts didn't stop the buzzing. Suspect a new nut is in my future.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Initial efforts didn't stop the buzzing. Suspect a new nut is in my future.

Have you checked the tuner ferrule/nut for the A string tuner? Pressing down behind the nut would also alleviate that. 

I've had loads of nut battles on the bass build I finished last month, and it's still not 100% right, so I feel your pain!

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

I did the paper thing about 10 years back and it stayed in the slot completely forgotten about for years (the joys of playing flats that requires changing every decade) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

I'd agree this is the most likely culprit. Can also confirm the copper tape trick works really well.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Have you checked the tuner ferrule/nut for the A string tuner? Pressing down behind the nut would also alleviate that. 

I've had loads of nut battles on the bass build I finished last month, and it's still not 100% right, so I feel your pain!

Everything on the tuner looks pretty solid so my money's on the nut as the culprit. When I get some more time after work I'll try the paper thing properly and see if I can't solve it that way. If not I have a local repair place I could take it to to fit a new nut, and obviously nuts themselves are pretty cheap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Everything on the tuner looks pretty solid so my money's on the nut as the culprit. When I get some more time after work I'll try the paper thing properly and see if I can't solve it that way. If not I have a local repair place I could take it to to fit a new nut, and obviously nuts themselves are pretty cheap.

First of all try tying a hair band or similar tight around the neck and strings behind the nut, I am willing to bet that it the issue, despite what you say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I did the paper thing about 10 years back and it stayed in the slot completely forgotten about for years (the joys of playing flats that requires changing every decade) 

Same, I'd put Roto Trubass on my USA Jazz and worn the slots bigger. Played for years with bits of card in the slots after 🤣

This was over 25 years ago though, would probably just change the nut now

26 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

How would one establish if the truss rod was the culprit rather than the nut?

Usually just put the alien key in and see if it feels loose or tight. If it feels a bit loose, tighten until you feel it pull up.

Can also suspend the bass in one hand (like a wall hanger), and tap the back of the neck with the heel of your other hand. If you can hear the rattle from within, it's probably loose.

I don't think it's that in this instance though as it's only one string affected, unless it just happens to be that reasonably frequency that's making it vibrate.

36 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Usually just put the alien key in and see if it feels loose or tight. If it feels a bit loose, tighten until you feel it pull up.

Can also suspend the bass in one hand (like a wall hanger), and tap the back of the neck with the heel of your other hand. If you can hear the rattle from within, it's probably loose.

I don't think it's that in this instance though as it's only one string affected, unless it just happens to be that reasonably frequency that's making it vibrate.

I'll give the Allen key thing a go shortly. Tightening it will change the neck relief though, won't it?

Suspending it I can hear a rattle if I knock the back of the neck but I'm not sure if it's from within or not. I've tried tightening and loosening the string and that makes the rattle go away.

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 1

I've had this a few times due to nut slots being too wide and the way I've always fixed it is with a mix of superglue and baking/bicarb of soda.

It dries as hard as a rock once applied to the slot and can be filed to suit your requirements in terms of depth and width. It always worked a treat for me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I'll give the Allen key thing a go shortly. Tightening it will change the neck relief though, won't it?

Suspending it I can hear a rattle if I knock the back of the neck but I'm not sure if it's from within or not. I've tried tightening and loosening the string and that makes the rattle go away.

It won't change the relief if you just pull it up so that it's not 'loose'. As I said though, I'm fairly confident that's not the cause in this case, but worth ruling things out I guess

Just now, TRBboy said:

It won't change the relief if you just pull it up so that it's not 'loose'. As I said though, I'm fairly confident that's not the cause in this case, but worth ruling things out I guess

Oh, I see what you mean. I've tried pulling it up and that hasn't worked, so I'm worried now that means it's fooked, although it only seems to be an issue when plucking upwards, not downwards.

I think I need someone more experienced than me to look into this!

• Like 1

Well, it turns out it wasn't any of the possible issues suggested, and turned out to be very easy to fix. Seems like the spring in my pick holder may not have been seated properly, because touching the casing made the buzz go away. I fenagled the picks within it a bit and then tried playing the open A again and problem solved!

Thanks everyone who chipped in. Atw least I have knowledge for in the future in case it's not a cheapo gadget causing me grief!

PXL_20240122_211859583~2.jpg

Edited by asingardenof
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4