Why become a member? ×

Bassix double bass banjo
£650
Halifax

Bassix double bass banjo made by Alan Hatswell, purchased from Alan (I believe it was the demo instrument) some years ago and only seen light use since. It has a 3/4 size composite neck and a long removable spike so very adjustable height-wise, can be played acoustically or has a built in pickup. It's in really good condition overall with a few small scuffs, more photos to follow.

From the original blurb: 

Play it like a double bass and acoustically it has considerably higher volume. Not enough for large gigs? Plug in a standard jack lead and connect to bass amp. The onboard dynamic sensors do the rest. It is now like playing an upright electric bass but still has the depth created by the acoustic drum. Constructed from composites with Remo skin, it is not really affected by climatic conditions (temperature and humidity) and is a go-anywhere play-anywhere bass. Suitable for all styles except arco (using bow) the sound both acoustically and amplified is amazing. Finished in white (drum) with black adjustable neck. For airline travel the neck can be simply removed making it possible to carry in a large suitcase (approx 30 x 24 x 10 inches). Maple bridge and Innovation strings give a tone similar to that of a vintage bass both acoustically and amplified. 

IMG-20231203-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20231203-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20231203-WA0022.jpg

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

As a DB player who also plays tenor banjo I'd have that in a minute if I lived on your side of the Atlantic, I'd love to hear it. Seems like a reasonable price but it would definitely have a limited market.  😊

As a DB player who also plays tenor banjo and 5-string banjo I wouldn't want to be within 250 miles of it, but each to his own!|

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2024 at 23:38, alyctes said:

Okay, I had to ask...... could it be played arco?

😇

Since the OP hasn't responded yet, here is the relevant snippet from the ad: 

"Suitable for all styles except arco (using bow)" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Since the OP hasn't responded yet, here is the relevant snippet from the ad: 

"Suitable for all styles except arco (using bow)" 

Thanks.  I thought I'd read it properly, but evidently not.

Sorry for the lack of response, I'm not getting notifications through. I've listed on behalf of my mum so I'm not with the bass often but I can hopefully sort some samples at some point.

• 2 months later...