Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

17 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, just as well I'm aff it - fridge packed in at the end of last week.  That's taken care of £350 which could have been spent on a bass.  Hard to get excited about the imminent arrival of a fridge though.  It's... a fridge, woo.

New dishwasher coming tomorrow <checks clock> er, today. Replacement for the one which was being delivered on Monday but had a damaged door. Now, can I use expenditure on dishwasher as an excuse for expenditure on a bass, when I've seen something tempting?

• Haha 1

As I understand the rules, I think I have failed on tier 2 (i.e. non-bass gear). I have mentioned elsewhere in this parish that I have recently taken a rhythm guitar role in a mate's band. As a result, I have swapped a guitar for another guitar (no cash involved), plus I have on order a Squire Strat and a HB Les Paul kit.

I throw myself at the mercy of the court and beg the fact that I am now a practising geetard is not held against me.

2 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

As I understand the rules, I think I have failed on tier 2 (i.e. non-bass gear). I have mentioned elsewhere in this parish that I have recently taken a rhythm guitar role in a mate's band. As a result, I have swapped a guitar for another guitar (no cash involved), plus I have on order a Squire Strat and a HB Les Paul kit.

I throw myself at the mercy of the court and beg the fact that I am now a practising geetard is not held against me.

Get out.

You're still in for the main challenge, splitter! ;)

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks like my car is csting me the thick end of £700. With work on the house and wayward offspring I may get through 2024 basso intacto,  unless some serious extra work comes my way :(

I hear you - apart from our super exciting acquisition of a fridge we're also finally replacing the ancient back door on the house that needed kicking into place in order to lock it.  That's going to take care of any money that could have been burning a hole in my pocket for basses for a while.

Well, I wasn't in, as such.  But, had I been in, I'd now be out as I've just left a deposit with David Konig who is going to put something together for me.  Could be the bass of my dreams - a short scale, lightweight Faker... 😍  3 weeks to go....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Well, I wasn't in, as such.  But, had I been in, I'd now be out as I've just left a deposit with David Konig who is going to put something together for me.  Could be the bass of my dreams - a short scale, lightweight Faker... 😍  3 weeks to go....

OK, enjoy that.  Thanks for highlighting that putting down a deposit for something this year constitutes failure, even if it's not slated to appear this year - that's your get-out for next year.

• Haha 1

I've been at my current employment for a while now, so I had a quick check and I think I've been there 19 years.  Checked to see if there were any perks for that, but thankfully (from a gear abstinence point of view) the first long service award offered is for 25 years, so I'm ok.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

first long service award offered is for 25 years,

Cheapskates! The place I worked at the longest gave 5 and 10 year awards, whether there was anything beyond that, I don’t know, no one achieved that during my tenure AFAIR.

Still, useful gear avoidance for you @neepheid. Here’s a thing, what if one entered a competition, where the prize was a bass and you won? I did this and didn’t win, but it did make me wonder.