Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

If we're in the mood for confessions of lustful thoughts, I'm having real trouble with two basses in the classifieds. 

One I had successfully dodged when it sold on Facebook, but that fell through and it's now stalking me on here. 

"Buy me, buy me." La la la la la, I can't hear you! 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Not part of this 'club' as I'd have no chance, but must say, it's my favourite spectator sport this year. I wonder if Ladbrokes could give me odds on the runners. 😃 I reckon Neeps will fall at the final fret.

Cheeky bas! :D

• Haha 2

Uh oh, thank goodness I'm nowhere near Leeds/Bradford Airport or I'd be out in an instant. 

Unless there's a member that lives near there that would happily collect, package and send a bass to me. 😉

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Uh oh, thank goodness I'm nowhere near Leeds/Bradford Airport or I'd be out in an instant. 

Unless there's a member that lives near there that would happily collect, package and send a bass to me. 😉

I could probably assist with that. 😉

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Tease

I'm not spilling the beans until I've actually got the bass, it's nothing incredibly exciting anyway, just something I've always liked the look of at a good price. 

If it falls through we can all forget this sorry incident ever happened... and @VelarianThe Enabler can be let off the hook.

He has very kindly offered to collect the bass and send it on to me, being the excellent basschatter that he is. 

Top fella, top forum, big hugs all round... but you're all very naughty. 😁

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2pods said:

.........................and I'm out.

Just bought a Trace footswith on the evilbay for my GP12SMX preamp.

That's very honest of you - I know I'd be trying to worm my way around that by tugging on the "accessories/consumables" cord (and probably failing... :D)

Now that I've just bought a new compressor pedal, it's no more new gear for me in 2024. My pedal needs are now complete :)

And I've just sold 4 pedals I am not using. 

Proud of myself!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, revd said:

Now that I've just bought a new compressor pedal, it's no more new gear for me in 2024. My pedal needs are now complete :)

And I've just sold 4 pedals I am not using. 

Proud of myself!

Getting some training in for a proper run at the 2025 edition? ;)

25 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Getting some training in for a proper run at the 2025 edition? ;)

Exactly!

I look at my rig - seriously, I want for nothing (apart from more talent...)

• Haha 2

Late joiner - January has thrown a few IRL curve balls my way sadly but we endure.

Nothing bought in January and with the band folded, no gigs planned and everything I need for the home studio I can see that remaining true for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 02:18, 2pods said:

.........................and I'm out.

Just bought a Trace footswith on the evilbay for my GP12SMX preamp.

What's a switching preamp without its foot switch? Mere completion of package no different to buying a bridge for a bass you got last year missing a bridge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What's a switching preamp without its foot switch? Mere completion of package no different to buying a bridge for a bass you got last year missing a bridge.

2pods declared themselves out, whether you would have or not is entirely up to you.  But your argument is bogus.  Footswitches are generally optional, not supplied with amps and are creature comforts.  I'd listen to pleas based upon scenarios such as replacing a broken footswitch that's already there, the rare situation where the footswitch is missing and is required for operation AND it's their only amp or something, but otherwise, what's the problem with waiting until 2025?  That's the whole effing point!

As for the bridge example, that's a really roundabout way of telling us you've bought a bridge... ;)

This "completion of projects" loophole does not exist.  Buying bits for projects is still buying gear.  When I say "bits" - no-one's going to declare you out for buying some pickguard screws, but a bridge is a substantial, bass specific part and is deffo gear IMO.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1