Why become a member? ×

Anyone else got a particularly long finger nail?

Big J

I keep my fingernails cut as short as possible, always. The feeling of them catching against anything goes right through me. Not just strings but also clothing (certain fabrics are worse than others), the edges of book jackets, things like cushion covers, bits of tree bark on firewood, Nigella Lawson, etc. Brrrrrrrrrrhhhhh

17 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I keep biting my fingernails to the bare minimum . A bad habit that I'll have to stop in the new year 😬

I spent decades biting my nails from teens on. Never really low, but just instead of cutting them. It only stopped when I got older and my teeth wore down in a way that my incisors were no longer sharp enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angel said:

I spent decades biting my nails from teens on. Never really low, but just instead of cutting them. It only stopped when I got older and my teeth wore down in a way that my incisors were no longer sharp enough.

It's not just me then 🙂. Something to focus on next year ..

On 21/12/2023 at 23:05, Big J said:

Odd question, but I’ve never found another bass player (in person) with the same thing. 
my middle finger on my plucking hand catches the strings. I have to keep it cut to the skin to avoid a clank noise on the string? 
do you guys get that? 

I have exactly the same issue which I find bloody annoying. I play a fast(ish) finger style and plectrums just don't work for me so like you I have to keep my nails very short which can sometimes lead to those painful splits that stop me from playing until they heal. I remember going out gigging one night and I forgot to trim them. It bothered me all night with the continuous clanking!