Why become a member? ×

What Sire did next

neepheid

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I confused as to how they're all Marcus Miller signatures. 

The idea behind the original Marcus Miller collaboration was for an affordable yet high quality bass with a great preamp that students could gig and record with, Marcus uses one every now and then (the other bassist in his band uses one regularly) but still gigs with his Fender sig most of the time, however IIRC he did spec the preamp and may have had some input into the pickup voicing. Essentially they were a bog standard Dame with in house hardware and different electronics, I assume these new basses are just a different flavour of the same ethos rather than being a lower tier copy of an artist's instrument.

I think it's quite a novel way to do a sig, definitely better than the lower tier ones that an artist will never use (how many gigs have Troy Sanders or james Johnston done with their Squier sigs?) which are just standard cheapies with a bumped price tag. I'm not a fan of signature basses really but I can see the value in getting a prominent recording artist to spec things like preamp eq points and board radius etc. I think Marcus Miller also did the same for his Markbass head and people thought that was a big improvement over the stock eq.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 3

On 19/12/2023 at 17:41, Bleat said:

The Z reminds me of the Ibanez RDGR basses. 

515051000820000-00-1600x1600.webp

Yes, but at least Sire seemed to put the MM pickup at the 'right' spot :)

I had a Lakland 55-02 because I could not find a xx-76. These days I don't mind the string spacing being <19mm (in fact, 17.5 or 18mm seem perfect for me now). If they don't weigh as much as Pluto and the neck profile feels good, I can see one of these in my collection. I have a Ray35 but it's really heavy. The Hogmanay gig is going to be tiring.

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Yes, but at least Sire seemed to put the MM pickup at the 'right' spot :)

I had a Lakland 55-02 because I could not find a xx-76. These days I don't mind the string spacing being <19mm (in fact, 17.5 or 18mm seem perfect for me now). If they don't weigh as much as Pluto and the neck profile feels good, I can see one of these in my collection. I have a Ray35 but it's really heavy. The Hogmanay gig is going to be tiring.

Hmm, looking at the relative dimensions of the pickup and polepiece arrangement... it looks like it'll be 16mm spacing. Boooh. 

I guess it won't tempt me anymore, then. 

2 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

Keeping their lawyers busy aren’t they!

I wonder how they’ll market passing these off as vintage inspired or something. Pretty blatant, but no different to many other manufacturers, or to their original j and p types. 

Re: "vintage"

Well, it's been 47 years and a bit since the Stingray was released into the wild...

• Sad 1

On 25/12/2023 at 13:37, mcnach said:

Not a fan of the Sire headstock, but despite that I thought the Z3/Z7 basses looked pretty good if you remove the oval scratchplate.

This one would tempt me, and the one in 'rosegold' too, yum.

Sire-Z3-5-blue.png?rlkey=pqm0y0zf9h4p7mc 

I like the body shape  - reminiscent of the Lakland.

Not keen on the headstock or this blue but I'm sure it must be available in natural/ white/ black. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I like the body shape  - reminiscent of the Lakland.

Not keen on the headstock or this blue but I'm sure it must be available in natural/ white/ black. 

That’s exactly what I thought - basically looks identical to the /01 & /02 (and /94) body shape, it’s the lower cutaway which is quite distinctive to those Lakland basses IMO, I’d think if Lakland did want to get litigious about it then there’s a pretty obvious bit of plagiarism on the body design from Sire

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Well, that was eerily prescient...

image.thumb.png.04a607e03e8b19478aaec92b2c1b318d.png

Hey, I’m just a man…a man with a particular set of skills…

I’m just working on next weeks lottery numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/12/2023 at 11:04, Raj_Shredder said:

I thought that Ernie Ball had a patent on the 3+1 MM Headstock? Are there any other mass produced basses out there, other than EBMM, using the 3+1? 

And they have mysteriously shifted to a four inline.