Why become a member? ×

NW Bass Bash 2024 - Sat May 18th

rwillett

A question suddenly springs to mind - bass bashes traditionally seem to happen on a Sunday.  How was it for everyone this one being on a Saturday?

To me, it doesn't really matter - due to all the travelling involved I'd take a long weekend off my work anyway.  But just curious to those closer, was it good to have a buffer day before going back to work/regular routine?  Was getting up early on the Saturday a chore?  Were some people unable to attend due to gigging on the Sat night, or would gigging on the Saturday wipe you out for the Sunday anyway?

I've got today off, so the mind wanders... over to you (or not, I don't care - did I mention I have the day off? ;))

Definitely worked for me as I had had a busy few weeks running up to it.  To have the BB and then a day to chill was great.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, neepheid said:

A question suddenly springs to mind - bass bashes traditionally seem to happen on a Sunday.  How was it for everyone this one being on a Saturday?

To me, it doesn't really matter - due to all the travelling involved I'd take a long weekend off my work anyway.  But just curious to those closer, was it good to have a buffer day before going back to work/regular routine?  Was getting up early on the Saturday a chore?  Were some people unable to attend due to gigging on the Sat night, or would gigging on the Saturday wipe you out for the Sunday anyway?

I've got today off, so the mind wanders... over to you (or not, I don't care - did I mention I have the day off? ;))

Either day is ok for me. Sunday might have actually been a bit more awkward as I normally cook Sunday Dinner for my 97 year old father in law. But he’s not sure what day it is generally, so I’d just do it on Saturday or Monday and he’d be happy.

I think @lee650 would have liked to attend, and would have travelled with me, but he couldn’t as he had a gig on Saturday night.

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Saturday is better for me, as I work in cycle shop on a Sunday.

This was my first bass bash, so was not sure what to expect. Still fun it was. Thanks to all, both seen and unseen who made everything happen.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 15:33, rwillett said:

IMG_2565.thumb.jpeg.56978943d23c65def0c1ee52cc781e18.jpeg

Could we have the names of the guilty parties please? I recognise a few from Moffat bashes (although I feel sure @neepheid never had that much facial covering) but it would be nice to have the blanks filled in.

Posted (edited)

Left is Vince (VSmith1), 5th from left is Peter Jamison (peterjam), 8th is Rob (Ossyrocks) and finally me.

I work on Sundays so Saturday was most excellent.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 1

Andy and I got quite deep into the subtleties and complexities of Barefaced 12's, and then comparing to other cabs, with other amps. 

I do apologise for getting rather loud when @GreeneKing's GK Legacy 800 came out, through my pair of Super Compacts.

Rob

17 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

Vince, on sharing the photos I've had a question about your GR Cab, specifically what is it and what is it like....

Peter

It is a GR Bass GR208 4Ohm with switchable tweeter.  It was not the Carbon Fibre or the new Natural fibre, but does not seem to be the same as the Wood 208 https://www.grbass.com/portfolio/gr-208/ as the handle on mine is on the top. But I'd guess that it is very similar to this model. I was impressed when I tried it at Promenade Music, especially the full sound for such a configuration. I got a Roqsolid cover for it, and I gig with it, when I use a backline. But I usually DI, even with a backline, so I am not a) relying to power the cab out b) not making the band stage overly loud. 

I am very happy if you want to meet up and I can let you have it for an extended go in your own environment.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Andy and I got quite deep into the subtleties and complexities of Barefaced 12's, and then comparing to other cabs, with other amps. 

I do apologise for getting rather loud when @GreeneKing's GK Legacy 800 came out, through my pair of Super Compacts.

Rob

Of interest is that adjusting the horn and tweeter (2) rheostat settings on the back of the Accugroove made no difference to my ears. I need to try the other one and investigate further. It may be that its warm tone is due to no horn or tweeter action. 

Peter

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

Of interest is that adjusting the horn and tweeter (2) rheostat settings on the back of the Accugroove made no difference to my ears. I need to try the other one and investigate further. It may be that its warm tone is due to no horn or tweeter action. 

Peter

it did sound nice. I think to my ears the mid driver sounded nice, but the transition through the crossover was a lot smoother on the 2 way BCcab. 
Both were a lot more flat in response to the Barefaced compacts - though to be fair they are going for a very different tonal goal. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2024 at 19:22, ossyrocks said:

Rob

Yes, I apologise for my part in that too. Thank you all for your indulgence!

It was very interesting just how different the cabs were.

Edited by Ruarl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ruarl said:

Yes, I apologise for my part in that too. Thank you all for your indulgence!

It was very interesting just how different the cabs were.

I wish I had heard yours. (Well I did hear yours but I had Neepheids headphones on trying his Jack Cassidy 

On 20/05/2024 at 11:53, neepheid said:

I think Saturday is probably better for me. But then again, I don't gig. Does a Sunday draw in folk who have playing commitments most Saturdays?

On 19/05/2024 at 21:56, neepheid said:

Well, I don't know if I'm the first to buy something as a result of something learned/discovered at the bash, but I've just snagged a Lekato WS-70 UHF wireless kit for £30 on eBay.

Any update on this please? yes I am impatient :)

8 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Any update on this please? yes I am impatient :)

Just arrived today - had a snafu and missed the postie yesterday.  Got a band rehearsal tonight so I will report back later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There's a lot of Lekato wirelesseseses available - https://lekatodeal.com/en-uk/collections/wireless-guitar-transmitter-receiver

I use the WS-50 - 5.8GHz digital. Toying with getting the WS-90 which has double the battery size.

Edit: Oops - accidentally pressed "Buy it now" on a WS-90 with box opened for £40. Oh dear.

Edited by tauzero
More gear...
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tauzero said:

There's a lot of Lekato wirelesseseses available - https://lekatodeal.com/en-uk/collections/wireless-guitar-transmitter-receiver

I use the WS-50 - 5.8GHz digital. Toying with getting the WS-90 which has double the battery size.

Edit: Oops - accidentally pressed "Buy it now" on a WS-90 with box opened for £40. Oh dear.

Thats great, as you didn't want to buy it, I'm happy to take it off your hands for £40....

Pleased to report a successful session with the Lekato WS-70.  Paired straight away, worked great all session.  No latency issues.  Used it for a bit over 2 hours and it still is reporting 75% charge.  Unfortunately it was raining, so had to stay indoors at the rehearsal room.  I could only go a few metres away from the receiver, but I hid behind drums and people and it didn't upset the signal at all.

The only negative thing to report is that it might be having a slight negative effect on sustain - long notes seemed to die quicker than I was expecting, but it's only a suspicion at this time.

40 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Pleased to report a successful session with the Lekato WS-70.  Paired straight away, worked great all session.  No latency issues.  Used it for a bit over 2 hours and it still is reporting 75% charge.  Unfortunately it was raining, so had to stay indoors at the rehearsal room.  I could only go a few metres away from the receiver, but I hid behind drums and people and it didn't upset the signal at all.

The only negative thing to report is that it might be having a slight negative effect on sustain - long notes seemed to die quicker than I was expecting, but it's only a suspicion at this time.

I think UHF wirelesses would have companders in them - a compressor in the transmitter and an expander in the receiver, to limit the dynamic range in the transmitted signal, so that might have an effect.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Curtis Novak gold foil equipped Sire D5 to band rehearsal yesterday to see what it was like ‘in the mix’. It was a very ‘woody’ wholesome P bass tone with huge presence and ability to cut though and remain more than just another bass. I was extremely pleased. 

• Like 3