Why become a member? ×

First gig with Harley Benton PB50

police squad

I took my HB P bass to its first Policed gig on Saturday.

I rolled the fingerboard edges and cut the nut a little deeper, so the action was nice.

My word, what an amazing bass. It sounded wonderful, the big neck sat lovely in my hand. The band commented on what a great bass sound I had.

I couldn't recomend this bass enough, yes it needed a little set up and the rolled edges are amazing but it's just a great instrument.

• Like 13

Santa DHL has just delivered mine ready for Christmas day.  Had a quick look in the box and it seems to be all there.  I have always wanted an old Tele style P but mainly play 5 strings and there are not many options for one of these in a 5 out there unless you go custom, which I can't justify spending out on.

This was really cheap and should scratch my itch for a while and might even get me back into playing 4s more often.   

Now then.....I need to get a copy from someone with the template to cut the headstock to shape at a later date.,....anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Now then.....I need to get a copy from someone with the template to cut the headstock to shape at a later date.,....anyone?

As long as you do not go for any of the horrid Fender headstocks and there is not enough timber to do a G & L.🤣

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Santa DHL has just delivered mine ready for Christmas day.  Had a quick look in the box and it seems to be all there.  I have always wanted an old Tele style P but mainly play 5 strings and there are not many options for one of these in a 5 out there unless you go custom, which I can't justify spending out on.

This was really cheap and should scratch my itch for a while and might even get me back into playing 4s more often.   

what colour did you go for?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, police squad said:

what colour did you go for?

I went for the sunburst.  I don't know why, but I just can't stomach red guitars, maybe it's an unconscious aversion to The Shadows thing.  I don't remember there being any other colour options at the moment.

I don't like relic'd guitars normally, but I have seen fakers before with a white over sunburst and quite like that, so we'll see if I fancy getting some emulsion and a belt sander out....

Having said that, I reckon you'll ask me in a few years and it will still be exactly the same as it came out the box, but we can dream....! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Having said that, I reckon you'll ask me in a few years and it will still be exactly the same as it came out the box

I have one like that, came from the initial 2013 production run.

Others were bought for pickup swaps/2 saddle bridges etc but that first one was spot on out of the box, no point in change for change's sake so apart from a set of TIs it remains stock 🙂

• Like 1

I first heard a HB PB50 at a blues jam.  It sounded simply amazing.

The only thing that puts me off slightly is the weight.  A couple of years ago a Fender 51 RI appeared in a music shop in Belfast.  I'd owned one years ago that I gave to my son.  It now resides in New Zealand. I always missed it since giving it to him. You can see it here.

Anyway, after sleeping on it I bought the new Fender 51RI and that put the HB PB50 out of my mind.  They are definitely superb basses though.

Frank.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, machinehead said:

Anyway, after sleeping on it I bought the new Fender 51RI and that put the HB PB50 out of my mind. 

For me, it's almost the complete reverse.

Own a 90's 51 Paisley reissue; an absolutely gorgeous bass, spends it's life stored in the cupboard over the stairs. By contrast my PB-50 has never saw that cupboard, it's kept in a state of constant readiness; to be played without a moment's notice. Might seem crazy  preferring a Harley Benton over a Fender but  have valid reasons, the PB-50 both plays and sounds better.

Not only did FGN opt for a very chunky neck profile they chose to cover it with gloss; the matt finish Benton neck is slimmer and much more comfortable. In matters of tone, the PB-50 is ahead of the reissue; well that what my ears tell me 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My Harley Benton has been gigged twice this year. Once out of preference and once from necessity. Like Kodiak's mine is always out on a stand and ready to play. I need one of these 50's now, you've all persuaded me!

you do yes, and at 105 quid, simply rude not to get one

• Like 3

On 04/12/2023 at 22:02, police squad said:

My word, what an amazing bass. It sounded wonderful, the big neck sat lovely in my hand. The band commented on what a great bass sound I had.

The band were obviously just being nice to you, and hoping you won't bring that embarrassing, cheap POS back with you next time. Imagine what any other musos in the audience would think once they saw the headstock...

It's not like I've played my one of these live. I tell people the Gio on the headstock means it's from an Italian design workshop, sort of like Bertone for cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - so I've had mine a few days now.....Love it!

So far I have filed down some of the jaggy fret edges (not bad, just being picky) and the rather square and more jagged feeling corners on the nut which was bugging me the most.

Have put some cheap Thomann flats on it which sound good but feel a thinner gauge to my LaBella flats I am used to.  I also lowered the action a little. No fret buzz so far.

Loving the sound I am getting out of it.   I just keep looking at it and wish it had 5 strings.  Maybe one day I will buy a 5 string neck and try widening the neck pocket.  Maybe I will also wake up and remember I am s**t at DIY and will ruin it if I try something like that.....

As a side note, I am also massively impressed with the quality of the HB acoustic g****r we bought our son.  He seems to like it too! 

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should also add that the thinner gauge thing may be psychological due to there being no fat B string sitting there.  We'll see.

Also to @machinehead's earlier post - I think this feels like one of the lightest basses I personally now own, or perhaps have ever owned.  I have my old JV jazz packed in a hard case in the loft, maybe I will have to get that out an compare, but all my 5 strings are much heavier.

• Like 1

Gigged my hb mm84a straight into the desk last night with the party band. Straight into a beringer bd21 but not switched on (but so I could get a xlr output). 

Sounded great. Loud, punchy and versatile. Certainly wouldn't really notice between that and an expensive bass through an expensive preamp (we go direct to desk to pa). 

• Like 2