Why become a member? ×

MXR M80

JosephMartyn

Had one for a while. Really, really liked it as a DI/ EQ pedal, great for going straight to PA. The distortion might not be your cup of tea though so it might not solve all problems in one pedal. Then again, it could be a good option to have, if it didn't have the distortion function it would still be a great pedal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/12/2023 at 15:06, JosephMartyn said:

Hey all, anyone tried the MXR M80? It caught my eye..tempted by the distortion blend :)

I had one for a good while, the preamp side was very good.

On 01/12/2023 at 15:49, BassAdder60 said:

I tried one but didn’t like the drive sound at all 

Me neither.

On 01/12/2023 at 16:48, JosephMartyn said:

Good info! What did you go for instead?

I now have a Tech21 VTDI, really nice preamp (lovely mid control), with a very satisfying range of grinds that you can blend in as much, or as little, as you want.

• Like 1

I´ve been using one for years, I love both the preamp and the drive/distortion sound but I guess it´s very responsive to it may depend on which bass are you using with it. For me it´s a great pedal, I compared the distortion with other preamps and M80 was the winner for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The colour switch only effects the clean blend when used with the distortion so the drive side is not mid scooped. With the blend at half way it basically cancels out the scoop.

The drive is metallic and aggressive, solo it sounds pretty bad but great in a mix, I play heavy metal with two guitars.

• Thanks 1

On 07/12/2023 at 19:11, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Just remembered I actually recorded an album with the M80 years ago!

Danelectro Longhorn bass.

Way overproduced and very oddly mixed as well, it kind of sounds like everything has been run through a ton of really cheap reverb, something the like of the Behringer pedal one, making everything sound oddly thin as disjointed, but beside that I love it, and I can imagine how awesome it could sound if produced and mixed better, I totally get what you were going for though, and actually the bass tone is pretty amazing still.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Way overproduced and very oddly mixed as well, it kind of sounds like everything has been run through a ton of really cheap reverb, something the like of the Behringer pedal one, making everything sound oddly thin as disjointed, but beside that I love it, and I can imagine how awesome it could sound if produced and mixed better, I totally get what you were going for, and actually the bass tone is pretty amazing still.

Thanks... I guess? 😆

It sounds exactly how it's supposed to. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

I like it 👍 touch of Mars Volta springs to mind 😎🥳 class👍👍

Thanks mate. I remember a couple of reviews at the time pointing out the vocal similarly to the MV.

I've actually just picked up an M80, would you believe! A friend of mine decided to sell his so let me borrow it to see if I still get on with it.

First impressions, the lack of control over the distortion is disappointing, bass distortion has moved on in leaps and bounds and the gain only control does make the M80 seem quite dated. An update with a more flexible drive channel would be most welcome.

That said, the distortion is voiced very sympathetically and blends extremely well with the clean channel as it is so I'm already quite pleased with the tones I'm getting with my Warwick Thumb.

Here's a useful comparison video I found. In all examples, I like the M80 the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Britsie said:

At home, on my own, the distortion sounded stinky poo but in a band mix I found it to be one of the most usable distortion-sounds on bass.

That’s pretty much the exact opposite of Darkglass pedals. They can sound great when you’re mucking around at home on them, put them in a band with loud guitars and they get lost.

On 12/12/2023 at 15:17, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Thanks mate. I remember a couple of reviews at the time pointing out the vocal similarly to the MV.

I've actually just picked up an M80, would you believe! A friend of mine decided to sell his so let me borrow it to see if I still get on with it.

First impressions, the lack of control over the distortion is disappointing, bass distortion has moved on in leaps and bounds and the gain only control does make the M80 seem quite dated. An update with a more flexible drive channel would be most welcome.

That said, the distortion is voiced very sympathetically and blends extremely well with the clean channel as it is so I'm already quite pleased with the tones I'm getting with my Warwick Thumb.

Here's a useful comparison video I found. In all examples, I like the M80 the best.

Nice video! I like the tech21 as well 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JosephMartyn said:

Nice! I've not heard the Digbeth, what's the model and I'll hunt out a video! :)

Laney Digbeth DB-PRE preamp, I’m loving mine but still haven’t had the chance to use it with my band yet (the true test).