Why become a member? ×

Bands you forgot and recently rediscovered

SteveXFR

I've recently rediscovered some bands I loved in the 90's and somehow forgot about. 

Irish alternative rockers Therapy?

Alternative metal band Helmet 

Grunge pioneers Tad

No idea why I stopped listening to them but they're all awesome.  Therapy's cover of Isolation by Joy Division might even be better than the original 

• Like 3

I tried to like Therapy, but just couldn’t get on with them . I had the short sharp shock ep , but only played it twice . Sold it last year . I saw cop shoot cop support then at the town and country club who I much prefer . 
Now I may have to dig out some of their stuff. A friend of mine was big into sup pop. He did me a cassette of tad and mud honey amongst others. Touch me I’m sick is one of the best sup pop imho. 
Front 242 are a band relevant in this thread for me ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I've recently rediscovered some bands I loved in the 90's and somehow forgot about. 

Grunge pioneers Tad

No idea why I stopped listening to them but they're all awesome.  Therapy's cover of Isolation by Joy Division might even be better than the original 

I did the same.  Listened to Infernal Love loads while at uni and then didn't listen to them again until about five years ago.  That record and Troublegum are now favourites of mine.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Grunge pioneers Tad

Great bands, though I don’t think they’ve ever dropped out of rotation for me.

Helmet in their heyday were one of my favourite bands of all time. The current iteration of the band are still pretty great and have a few dates in the UK in December.

And Tad? Inhaler is one of my favourite albums ever. Not that they put a foot wrong with anything they released really.

But, in answer to your question, I hadn’t listened to the album Shame by Brad in a lot of years until quite recently. In my late teens and early twenties it was a late night staple and it’s still great now, I’d just forgotten that it was for the longest time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Grunge pioneers Tad

My band covered 'Screamager' for a while.  It didn't get a good reception in the places we played, so it got dropped.

Just listened to their version of 'Isolation', quite good it is too, though I wouldn't consider it better than the original.  Joy Division were the first band I ever saw live, so emotion is involved in my opinion here.

9 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Helmet in their heyday were one of my favourite bands of all time. The current iteration of the band are still pretty great and have a few dates in the UK in December.

I'd love to see them. Just checked and the nearest show to me is over 100 miles away, in London 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd love to see them. Just checked and the nearest show to me is over 100 miles away, in London 

That’s a shame. It’s been many a year since they’ve done my neck of the woods in Birmingham and I’ve often travelled to see them. I’ll miss them this time as the closest to me is Nottingham, but I’m already at a gig that night. 

• Like 1

Willie Nile - he did a great song 'Vagabond Moon' in the early 80s and I could never find anything else by him (pre-internet days). I assumed he'd disappeared. Then a fortnight ago I was looking up Richard Thompson and one of his credits was 'Willie Nile'. What? Turns out Willie Nile (Robert Noonan) did disappear - he made just 4 albums between 1980 and 2000 but has made ten since. I now have them all. I think he's fantastic. He's 75 and rockin' like a maniac.

Edited by Kitsto

I found a box of old CDs recently while having a clearout. Singles, albums, EPs, promos... stuff like:

Royal Trux

Super Furry Animals 

Boards Of Canada

the “Super Discount” remixes

Air “Moon Safari” 

Sebadoh

Sparklehorse

Eels

Primal Scream “Echo Dek”

...plus loads more.

Will put the albums or tracks I like on a hard drive and take the CDs to the recycling centre. Great listening to it all again though 👍

4 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

Short but very intense love of Maiden when I was 13–14. Then moved on, and then moved on some more. Many, many years later, found that the Killers-era line up (Di'anno, Smith, Burr) still does it for me, unreservedly.

I was at this gig . A few of the songs had to be done again for the video . I ended up taking a padded seat from the venue back with me on the underground .😬 Good times 

On 23/11/2023 at 21:22, SteveXFR said:

Grunge pioneers Tad

Do check out their early 2000 releases, High Anxiety and Never Apologise, Never Explain. Not huge commercial success, but critically acclaimed when they came out.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2023 at 22:52, TheRev said:

For me, a very recent rediscovery was Skunk Anansie. Saw them loads back in the day, then over the years drifted off into other genres. Seeing Bob Vylan recently just reminded me of SA and the pure intensity of their live shows.

I never stopped listening to Skunk Anansie, but I only ever played the first three albums. I think that’s when they took a break, and I just didn’t catch up when they got back together. Then, last year, I came across An Acoustic Skunk Anansie - Live In London on YouTube. There were a few songs that I had never heard before, so I ended up getting all the albums I had missed.

Though I have to confess that my favourite album of theirs is now the recording that came with the Acoustic dvd. It has most of the best songs, and they’re done brilliantly.

On 23/11/2023 at 22:52, TheRev said:

For me, a very recent rediscovery was Skunk Anansie. Saw them loads back in the day, then over the years drifted off into other genres. Seeing Bob Vylan recently just reminded me of SA and the pure intensity of their live shows.

I saw Skunk Anansie when they headlined Glastonbury.  I've seen dozens of bands at Glastonbury over the years but that set was probably the most memorable and best, closely followed by Queens Of The Stone Age in 2003 with their best ever lineup (Josh, Troy, Nick Oliveri & Dave Grohl)

The The.

On 25/11/2023 at 07:47, meterman said:

I found a box of old CDs recently while having a clearout. Singles, albums, EPs, promos... stuff like:

Royal Trux

Super Furry Animals 

Boards Of Canada

Air “Moon Safari” 

Sebadoh

Sparklehorse

Eels

Primal Scream “Echo Dek”

...plus loads more.

Will put the albums or tracks I like on a hard drive and take the CDs to the recycling centre. Great listening to it all again though 👍

Moon Safari....I'll be checking that out again. 😎

2 hours ago, iconic said:

The The.

Moon Safari....I'll be checking that out again. 😎

Air just announced they were reforming to tour “Moon Safari” again and I saw a list of dates online, then the next day I saw the same list and all the dates were sold out. Depending on who their backing band was they could be excellent live or a bit half-äršèd (looking at you, Phoenix). I’d still go and see them again though I think 👍

On 25/11/2023 at 07:47, meterman said:

Royal Trux

Super Furry Animals 

Boards Of Canada

Air “Moon Safari” 

Sebadoh

Sparklehorse

Eels

Primal Scream “Echo Dek”

...plus loads more.

Thanks to you I have now rediscovered Sebadoh. They were awesome.