Why become a member? ×

Really silly GAS

bass_dinger

I have 5 basses, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin. All are in different or no cases (including two Hiscox cases - the ones that 5 fat men can stand on).

I would like to buy matching Hiscox cases, and some sew-on patches. 

Let me explain.  I bought one of my bass guitars from Cambridgeshire.  I will buy two sew on patches showing Cambridgeshire, place one on the bass strap, and the other tied to the handle of the case.

Thus I will know what is inside the case, from the outside signs. 

What an utter waste of money.  I shan't do it. 

But I just wanted to write it down, to see how silly it looked in print!!

• Like 3

If you kept the strap inside the case, you'd not need to put the Cambridgeshire badge on that strap, so you'd have a spare badge.

So...you'd need to buy another bass from Cambridgeshire. 👍

No charge, I like to do some work pro bono...just to give something back.

;):)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

How about a bit of white gaffa tape with what's inside scrawled on it with a permanent marker? Leaves you more money to spend on beer 😁

But my solution is prettier, neater, and more obsessive! It allows me to sort my basses alphabetically, by place of purchase! 

10 hours ago, Tandro said:

You know you gonna do it :P

One day.... 

But with money and space an issue, I am more likely to sell basses, than buy cases for them all!

On 23/11/2023 at 18:45, bass_dinger said:

I have 5 basses, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin. All are in different or no cases (including two Hiscox cases - the ones that 5 fat men can stand on).

I would like to buy matching Hiscox cases, and some sew-on patches. 

Let me explain.  I bought one of my bass guitars from Cambridgeshire.  I will buy two sew on patches showing Cambridgeshire, place one on the bass strap, and the other tied to the handle of the case.

Thus I will know what is inside the case, from the outside signs. 

DYMO000004.jpg

• Like 1

I have 3 of those (excellent) Hiscox Liteflite cases and for touring purposes they’re fantastic. If my phone camera wasn’t kaput I’d take a photo of them stacked, as each of them still has a strip of masking tape at the body end with marker pen denoting which instruments they’re for. Telecaster #1, Classical, Acoustic, a trick I learned from searching for the correct cases in the basement at Vintage & Rare. Never thought of doing the matching strap-to-case thing though, that’s new to me I must say!

Even though I no longer tour, I still keep the cases with the guitars stored in them. No idea why, as gigbags would take up less room. But Hiscox cases are ace 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meterman said:

Even though I no longer tour, I still keep the cases with the guitars stored in them. No idea why, as gigbags would take up less room. But Hiscox cases are ace 👍

Me too. Don’t like storing my basses and guitars on stands or hung on walls by their necks,

just have them in their cases standing vertically using a rack type arrangement I made.

One or two are in gig bags, but they’re the ones that are either next to get moved on or

cheapies that probably stand me to less than the price of a case! I use a luggage label

tied round the handle of each case to show what’s in it, less messy than gaffa tape which

can leave a sticky residue.

Hiscox cases are great, I only have one though as generally prefer oblong cases for storage.

Had mine for well over 20 years and it’s been superb. 

• Like 1