Why become a member? ×

How About A Sneak Preview, Where Are You Playing on NYE ?

Bluewine

We (The 77s) are playing NYE at The Oak Tavern in Sevenoaks. We played here once before, it was the site of our first gig as a band in March this year. 

We have played 10 gigs since and have really improved and become tighter.

we played there for free earlier in the year as we were an unknown band and trying to get some gigs under our belt, so it is great to be asked back to play one of the biggest nights of the year, and with a decent fee.

I think we are playing 9ish-12ish

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markbunney said:

We (The 77s) are playing NYE at The Oak Tavern in Sevenoaks. We played here once before, it was the site of our first gig as a band in March this year. 

We have played 10 gigs since and have really improved and become tighter.

we played there for free earlier in the year as we were an unknown band and trying to get some gigs under our belt, so it is great to be asked back to play one of the biggest nights of the year, and with a decent fee.

I think we are playing 9ish-12ish

Congrats, I hope it's a fun gig for all.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

A nice hotel in Scarborough (on the East Yorkshire coast) with three friends.

Did it last year and was actually okay - decent audience having a gala meal

followed by us playing to around 12.30am. Very civilised and no bother, which

after too doing many in previous years elsewhere which weren’t is just fine with me!

An hour’s drive away, decent pay and an easy set up with just my Fender Rumble 100

combo and Precision bass Lyte to carry in. Small PA provided so happy days. Last year

we took our ladies too and we were all looked after with drinks/ food by the hotel manager. 
I’ll be happy if this year things turn out the same. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, casapete said:

A nice hotel in Scarborough (on the East Yorkshire coast) with three friends.

Did it last year and was actually okay - decent audience having a gala meal

followed by us playing to around 12.30am. Very civilised and no bother, which

after too doing many in previous years elsewhere which weren’t is just fine with me!

NYE Hotel gig. Sounds nice to me. Civilised is always a plus. Lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maple Road is confirmed for Early NYE gig @ The Precinct in Germantown, 4-7pm, right across the street from BarleyPop.

I've played the place across the street " Barley Pop. And I've played an acoustic gig at The Precinct.  But a NYE Maple Road show will be a first. Nice hours and a 25 minute commute. 

I'm hoping for a respectable turn out.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 4

Nothing... at the moment.

One of my originals bands was offered two NYE gigs. One turned out not to be actually on NYE so we politely turned that down. The other has gone quite after we confirmed that we would be available and like to do it - unless we hear otherwise very soon we'll have to assume it's not going to happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Maple Road is confirmed for Early NYE gig @ Precinct in Germantown, 4-7pm, right across the street from BarleyPop.

I've played the place across the street " Barley Pop. And I've played an acoustic gig at The Precinct.  But a NYE Maple Road show will be a first. Nice hours and a 25 minute commute. 

I'm hoping for a respectable turn out.

Daryl

Surely that doesn’t count as a NYE gig as you havnt played into 2024 ?

I thought that was the normal for venues ??  

• Like 2

The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne with a function band. We play there every year in the ballroom for a ticketed guests only NYE event.
90 min drive. Arrive around 5pm, set up my mini-rig with a couple of basses on a double stand. Eat the same posh dinner as the guests, fresh coffee and a glass of something.
Put on my dinner jacket and play a 2hr set from 10.30pm - 12.30am then pack down and drive home.

Good pay, nice place and better than being at home watching Jools Holland. Only downside is the 'jazz quartet' who play easy listening standards while the guests are having dinner. The stage is tiny and they insist on moving all our stuff around and just generally being a pain in the a**e to all concerned....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Pretty sure the whole day's called New Year's Eve...

Yes of course but isn’t it traditional for entertainment to run into 2024 to see in the new year ?? That’s the whole point of a NYE gig surely ?? 
Last gig I did on NYE we played in total for 4 hours 9pm to 1pm and that was typical of many venues 

• Like 1

As a punter I would be right miffed if the party entertainment ended at 11:30 or earlier and packed up.

NYE folks is to celebrate going into .. yep you’ve guessed it the NEW YEAR !!  😄

Bands should play at least to stroke of midnight or have alternative music etc until midnight 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Yes of course but isn’t it traditional for entertainment to run into 2024 to see in the new year ?? That’s the whole point of a NYE gig surely ?? 
Last gig I did on NYE we played in total for 4 hours 9pm to 1pm and that was typical of many venues 

I'm 70 years old. My 9-1 days are pretty much over. 4:00-7:00 is the new 9:00-1:00 for " boomers"

Grandpa  Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

As a punter I would be right miffed if the party entertainment ended at 11:30 or earlier and packed up.

NYE folks is to celebrate going into .. yep you’ve guessed it the NEW YEAR !!  😄

Bands should play at least to stroke of midnight or have alternative music etc until midnight 

I tell you this for nothing - New Year's Eve (Hogmanay) is also my birthday, so you're goddamn right it is my birthday all bloomin' day from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 on the 31st!

• Like 2

As I mentioned on the "How was your gig last night?" thread, at the wedding anniversary gig we did back in September at a local village hall, we were asked if we'd do NYE for them.

Having verbally agreed on the night with couple of the chaps off the hall committee that we'd do it for twice our usual rate, we then got word a week later via our drummer that the hall committee had now had a vote, and decided they were going to have a karaoke and disco instead!

One of the local musos who lives in the village then mischieviously posted "Would like to see a band at the village hall on New Year's Eve, is there one on?" on the hall FB page, sparking a rather heated (and very entertaining) discussion between the hall chairman and various folks who regularly come to see us, which only ended when the thread got pulled by the hall chairman. 😂

Given the atmosphere which seems to have developed over the whole affair, suspect we'll not be playing there ever again, which is a shame as it's a nice enough hall, and only 15 minutes drive away for me. On the plus side, at least we won't need to worry about the dodgy hall electrics!

• Like 1

Original NYE gig seemed too good to be true from the word go, 180 mile round trip to the north Devon coast, but a four figure fee, cabins to sleep over in, food & drink free. Over a month or two the offer of goodies faded away, the fee went down, then our gig was cancelled in favour of a disco - c’est la vie...

Desperate to avoid a gigless NYE watching Jules do his boogie piano thing on TV we tapped up every pub and club In the area, doing a Dutch auction until we eventually got a local pub on the hook for our normal fee plus food and drink. Pathetic? Letting the muso side down? Maybe, but it’s a sign of the times, and we do love playing!

• Like 2