Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Bass - Now a rarity in the UK?!?

1Poser1

4 hours ago, Pinball said:

I did have a Epi Pro V? The active one whatever it was called, from Ebay. It seemed solid but had all the usual neck dive etc. but the killer was that the B string was much quieter than the rest. It meant that I couldn't really use it in the band. Inexcusable! 

I had one of those, but also sold it as the only five string I've been able to get along with is my NS-Design upright. I recall there was a batch of early PRO-V 's that were fitted with the pickups for the PRO-IV rather than the PRO-V specific pickups which might account for the quiet B string.

23 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I had one of those, but also sold it as the only five string I've been able to get along with is my NS-Design upright. I recall there was a batch of early PRO-V 's that were fitted with the pickups for the PRO-IV rather than the PRO-V specific pickups which might account for the quiet B string.

I'm pretty sure that was the problem

11 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Never had any desire for a Gibson after I played the Epiphone 60s Thunderbird...might just be the perfect T-bird.

Even so, when it came right down to it, I had to let it go. It was either Thunderbird or Thundergun and the Reverend was just a little bit better.

Pics-Art-10-18-02-52-35-1.jpg

Picsart_23-08-15_13-18-21-404.jpg

I was offered a Reverend artist endorsement a few years back; never too it up.  Liked the Thundergun, reverse headstock.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, it seems he is just here to sell his bass and hasn't visited since he posted this.

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Why would they?  Got their knuckles rapped for implying that their bass is for sale...

Noticed that, but you might also think that they might actually get involved in a discussion about T'birds.

47 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Noticed that, but you might also think that they might actually get involved in a discussion about T'birds.

If he's gone away, I'll take it up then: I currently have four T-birds - Gold Anniversary, 2015 with EB pickups, non-reverse Pelham Blue and 1999 Tobaccoburst. I have had another three Gibbos including a Custom Shop sunburst, an early '90's tobaccoburst and a '66 non-reverse. Also owned two Epiphones (neither wonderful IMO) including the current '60's reissue. Decent 3' strap with suede backing meant no headstock dive and all sounded wonderful through an Eden stack. T-birds are fairly light and in over 45 year of gigging them, I've never had a headstock break on me. I've heard all sorts of horror stories over the decades, with plenty reasons why T-birds (and other Gibsons) are crap, but I have to say, that I love them and will never be without one in my collection. As @Frank Blank would, no doubt, say, "That is all".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

If he's gone away, I'll take it up then: I currently have four T-birds - Gold Anniversary, 2015 with EB pickups, non-reverse Pelham Blue and 1999 Tobaccoburst. I have had another three Gibbos including a Custom Shop sunburst, an early '90's tobaccoburst and a '66 non-reverse. Also owned two Epiphones (neither wonderful IMO) including the current '60's reissue. Decent 3' strap with suede backing meant no headstock dive and all sounded wonderful through an Eden stack. T-birds are fairly light and in over 45 year of gigging them, I've never had a headstock break on me. I've heard all sorts of horror stories over the decades, with plenty reasons why T-birds (and other Gibsons) are crap, but I have to say, that I love them and will never be without one in my collection. As @Frank Blank would, no doubt, say, "That is all".

Couldn't agree more. I love my 2013. It's currently wearing flats and sound effing monstrous. I love the newer style pickups - they properly growl at you. Don't know where all the hate comes from.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Couldn't agree more. I love my 2013. It's currently wearing flats and sound effing monstrous. I love the newer style pickups - they properly growl at you. Don't know where all the hate comes from.

I think the hate comes from Gibson (USA) being run by utter cockwombles for god knows how long now, and also their utter disdain for bassists in general.  This is coming from a former Gibson owner and long time apologist for them, but these days they do absolutely nothing for me.  I don't hate them, but I pity the fools.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really love Thunderbirds (the basses, not the puppets, although that wasn’t bad). I wanted to play one after watching this video where the growl was just amazing: 

I know they aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but I found it really suited me. Mine is close to being my lightest bass and it sits in a really nice place when I’m seated (although I would have preferred the jack to be in a different place as I pluck with my right hand balance the bass on my left leg so it occasionally digs in). I play mostly 5-strings though so decided to take the plunge and order a Dingwall D-Roc 5 to see if that can give me the best of both worlds.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, admiralchew said:

I really love Thunderbirds (the basses, not the puppets, although that wasn’t bad). I wanted to play one after watching this video where the growl was just amazing: 

I know they aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but I found it really suited me. Mine is close to being my lightest bass and it sits in a really nice place when I’m seated (although I would have preferred the jack to be in a different place as I pluck with my right hand balance the bass on my left leg so it occasionally digs in). I play mostly 5-strings though so decided to take the plunge and order a Dingwall D-Roc 5 to see if that can give me the best of both worlds.

Thanks for sharing, for me it's interesting to hear how distinctive and good the Rick is, how consistently good the Precision and Musicman are and how  the Thunderbird shines with a pick. We obviosly need them all 

• Thanks 1