Why become a member? ×

Save me from myself - possible 1x10 cab build

tauzero

I'm tempted to put a cab together that's intermediate between the 6" micro cab and the BC 112 Mk3. I was thinking of the 8" cab, but I realised I've got a Deltalite II 2510 upstairs and I wondered about building a 1x10 tweeterless cab with not dissimilar dimensions to the 8" cab, using the Deltalite and the 68mm pipe I have knocking about in the shed after the 6" cab build. I plugged the Deltalite parameters into WinISD (found on TB, all the others fail internal consistency) and a 25l box tuned to 50Hz with a 12.4 cm long port looks as if it would work. Would this be a sensible path to pursue? @Phil Starr, @stevie?

I'm not saying your design won't work (it will) but If you make the box a bit bigger, say 35 litres, you could use a 4-inch port, which would help, as a single 68mm port is going to run out of puff quite quickly. The response also looks a bit better with the slightly larger box.

Over the other side of the pond there is a thread on a 110 coffeehouse cab made from a cheap prefab 10" subwoofer box. It just happened to have the exact right porting for the s2010 which is close enough to the 2510 that others threw those in instead and Bob came through.

Others copied the box with a shelf port instead. I am pretty sure it wasn't as generously sized as Bill's optimal tune but big enough to not suffocate.

20 hours ago, stevie said:

I'm not saying your design won't work (it will) but If you make the box a bit bigger, say 35 litres, you could use a 4-inch port, which would help, as a single 68mm port is going to run out of puff quite quickly. The response also looks a bit better with the slightly larger box.

Would a pair of 68mm ports do as well? I'd like to use materials at hand as much as possible.

7 hours ago, Chimike said:

Port Tubes cut from Screwfix piping cost Numpence  !

That's rather my point, I've got the best part of 2m of 68mm pipe left over from building the micro cab and using 40cm or so on a pair of ports would make me feel less wasteful. And I've got a 68mm hole saw.

12 hours ago, Chimike said:

Penny worth of Tar comes to mind !

I'm completely at a loss as to what you're driving at. Could you be less cryptic? WinISD tells me that two 68mm ports just under 20cm long will do the job, Bill Fitzyoda confirms that, you seem to want me to acquire materiel that I don't need for no apparent gain.

Depending upon what you forsee using said cabinet for, I might consider a non- rectangular cabinet; tall and slim (but with a low enough C-of-G to keep it stable!) with the driver mounted in an angled top face to aid projection. I'm always concerned with 1x10 that at close quarters, my ankles are getting more benefit than my ears. 

Sure,  stands and beer crates exist, but look untidy!

I guess the port/s can be located almost anywhere as they behave omnidirectionally at the frequencies they're working at.

On 10/11/2023 at 14:27, tauzero said:

I'm tempted to put a cab together that's intermediate between the 6" micro cab and the BC 112 Mk3. I was thinking of the 8" cab, but I realised I've got a Deltalite II 2510 upstairs and I wondered about building a 1x10 tweeterless cab with not dissimilar dimensions to the 8" cab, using the Deltalite and the 68mm pipe I have knocking about in the shed after the 6" cab build. I plugged the Deltalite parameters into WinISD (found on TB, all the others fail internal consistency) and a 25l box tuned to 50Hz with a 12.4 cm long port looks as if it would work. Would this be a sensible path to pursue? @Phil Starr, @stevie?

My computer is down at the moment, fixed now but I won’t have it back today. I’ll have a look at the delta lite for you some time.

You can use two 68mm ports. There is a marginal gain to bo had from a single port of the same area in reducing turbulence in the port but in practice I’m not sure if it is significant. Using what you have makes sense and if you have a holesaw that size it’s a no brainer in keeping construction simpler.

If you want a ready made design then the 30l easy build cab we used in the BC 110T and the Easybuild 12 would work well with maybe a slight change in tuning needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

If you want a ready made design then the 30l easy build cab we used in the BC 110T and the Easybuild 12 would work well with maybe a slight change in tuning needed.

I considered that, but worked out that I could make a cab around 34l from one sheet of 1220x610 ply. Sides and front/rear 445 x 305, top and bottom 330 x 305 (actually 329x305), inset the front panel 20mm giving internal dimensions of 445 x 305 x 261.

35.4l initial volume, 0.76l for speaker, 0.46l for ports, about 0.5l for battens and so on = 33.68l. £16 for the plywood, I think I have everything else except a cab handle, corners, and a connector plate.

• Like 2

Well, that's the plywood and batten bought for the Plenty cab (because Juan Sheet is plenty). I wish I'd known exactly how inaccurate the B&Q saws were, I'd have risked cutting it up myself. Still, it's within a couple of minutes with a belt sander of being spot on.

Next stage - holes.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

To do the joints as per the easy build cab, and also to do a bit of bracing.

I haven't used corner battens for 30 years. They're not required for assembly, and the corner joints are the strongest point of the cab, so they don't add any bracing. The material used for them is much better employed as cross bracing.

8 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I haven't used corner battens for 30 years. They're not required for assembly, and the corner joints are the strongest point of the cab, so they don't add any bracing. The material used for them is much better employed as cross bracing.

They're for my peace of mind and to help compensate for my innate clumsiness.