Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2A bass question

garethsnaim

Hello, I am new here. My younger son has been really getting into his guitar recently and it makes me hanker after my long lost youth when I played (badly) bass guitar.

My favourite bass of all time (well apart for the one I had made by hand by Nick Marchant) was a Hohner black headless bass. I swear it had semour duncan actives in, but perhaps they were not, it was 30 years ago. My one defo had the simpler bridge though, more modern ones have a weird thing going on.

Well anyhow one has come up, its beaten and bruised and someone has tried to improve it with paint! It would appear to be active it has the red light indicator and the compartment on the back, but the pickups are plain black, its very likely the owner made them that way. But the screw holes etc, well I cannot find another like it, wondered if anyone had an insight:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.afbd0041b60920083da0b40507d0177b.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by garethsnaim

I didn't care for the passive tone of mine (dark and muffled IMO) but loved it in active mode! 

50 minutes ago, garethsnaim said:

My one defo had the simpler bridge though, more modern ones have a weird thing going on.

There are versions around that have a D-tuner on the bridge to drop the E-string down to D at the flick of a lever. 

3 minutes ago, garethsnaim said:

Thanks Paul, don't suppose you know circa year of the no name one? Sadly the one I am looking at, serial and everything is gone

If I ever knew that info has long gone to the far recesses of my brain, never to resurface. :D 

I've had a few of these in various formats.  B2, passive.  B2V passive 5er, B2A, active.  B2ABD with the drop tuner.  B2B which was passive with a bolt on neck and P/J pups.  The latter was my favourite.

1 hour ago, BlueMoon said:

I believe the pickups were different between Mk I and Mk II versions as well.

The pics shown are from a Mk I.

I have a B2AV with Hohner-branded jazz pickups, which I assume is the Mk II. Before that I had a B2V, passive with those pickups, which sounded rather thinner than the B2AV. I had to replace the active preamp in the B2AV as it wasn't working well, can't remember what I used - I think it may have been a Delano Sonar.

Hi its on facebook its been painted white with coloured splotches on it. Really hard to tell anything as its just a front and back pic, all identifying marks painted out.

I guess it might be prudent to ask which is the better version to look out for? I don't think I need dropped tuning, its basically going to be a case of getting some lessons once I get one. I just love the idea of it being unobtrusive and easy to pick up, it might encourage me to have a go!

• 4 weeks later...