Why become a member? ×

LowEnd Lobster 5 claw review?

DDR

Hello

I do find LowEnd Lobster's bass reviews great.

I do find the words "for the money" it's a great instrument a bit confusing, and no matter what, always find the reviews for an appreciated instrument to receive a maximum of 4 claws.

I wonder if anyone's aware of a review of his that's ended in a 5 claws score?

I'm also interested in knowing what you think a great 4 string instrument - not for the money but just fully - would be.

Thank you

Edited by DDR
Spelling/grammar

Trouble with these reviews is they tend to get wrapped up with specs, because the main reason for buying a bass can’t be generally measured. All basses do a job to varying degrees, but does the instrument excite and inspire? That should be the deciding factor and is the reason why it makes more sense to try before you buy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes I hear that. My first bass which I picked out of about 30 I tested in a well stocked shop is still the only one I'll never sell and keep going back to. I just keep wondering what it's like to have a higher quality instrument and what that might entail. Try em for sure, if you can..

4 hours ago, DDR said:

I just keep wondering what it's like to have a higher quality instrument and what that might entail. Try em for sure, if you can..

Mostly that you can either have almost unlimited options (custom build) or a spec specific to that luthier/ make. Higher prices are often because more man hours have been spent on the build quality, so that’s the most notable difference.

I’ve had a few Overwaters which I’d define as higher quality; 1 that wasn’t built for me and eventually sold, and 1 that was which is perfect. 

7 hours ago, DDR said:

Hello

I do find LowEnd Lobster's bass reviews great.

I do find the words "for the money" it's a great instrument a bit confusing, and no matter what, always find the reviews for an appreciated instrument to receive a maximum of 4 claws.

I'm also interested in knowing what you think a great 4 string instrument - not for the money but just fully - would be.

Thank you

I like his reviews too.  He doesn't do it for money and he isn't afraid to call out big corporations for flogging shyte to the masses.

I will admit that a bass's appearance is very important to me, more important than the sound as with my rig I can get most basses to sound good.   Nevertheless, what I personally think looks good may be completely different to someone else.

An example of 'good for the money' in my stable would be my Charvels.  They are basically Mexican Fenders with upgraded hardware, for very little more than a Player series bass (well at least when I bought mine, the prices have gone up this year).  Imperfect, certainly, but good value.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DDR said:

Yes I hear that. My first bass which I picked out of about 30 I tested in a well stocked shop is still the only one I'll never sell and keep going back to. I just keep wondering what it's like to have a higher quality instrument and what that might entail. Try em for sure, if you can..

It probably has a few dings in. A new one gives that heartache all over again.

It would be hard to top the satisfaction of a best of 30 in stock unless you spent some serious coin. Or maybe the shop only stocked dungers and yours was the least smelly.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It probably has a few dings in. A new one gives that heartache all over again.

It would be hard to top the satisfaction of a best of 30 in stock unless you spent some serious coin. Or maybe the shop only stocked dungers and yours was the least smelly.

Haha no but it's a classic mim fender precision. A good enough instrument for sure... 

11 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I like his reviews too.  He doesn't do it for money and he isn't afraid to call out big corporations for flogging shyte to the masses.

I will admit that a bass's appearance is very important to me, more important than the sound as with my rig I can get most basses to sound good.   Nevertheless, what I personally think looks good may be completely different to someone else.

An example of 'good for the money' in my stable would be my Charvels.  They are basically Mexican Fenders with upgraded hardware, for very little more than a Player series bass (well at least when I bought mine, the prices have gone up this year).  Imperfect, certainly, but good value.

I guess the feel of it plays an important role, practical things like weight (I've got back problems). I do like the raw di sounds to he close what I'm after... appearance... well sure, one should like it

On 07/11/2023 at 10:51, DDR said:

He does like his Ernie Ball Stingrays - just watch out for the frightening video of Steve Ballmer at the end which seems even more creepy today than it was at the time. He'll be sadly missed (LowEndLobster that is, not Steve Ballmer).

Edited by Gramski
  • Like 1