Why become a member? ×

Wireless system - Lekato, Boss or something else?

ots

56 minutes ago, tony_m said:

I've been using a Lekato WS-50 (5.8GHz) set for a while now. As I wasn't happy with the way the transmitter would twizzle in the output socket, I've now got a Levy's wireless holder on my strap - the Lekato transmitter sits folded in this, plugged in to the female end of a 75cm male jack to female socket extension cable from Designacable. Works well enough, though I do sometimes wish I'd asked if I could have a right-angle jack on the instrument end of the cable as this would have been even neater.

https://www.designacable.com/un-balanced-guitar-extension-lead-van-damme-xke-cable.html

Screenshot 2024-04-14 09.17.12.png

Good idea 💡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

I've been using a Lekato WS-50 (5.8GHz) set for a while now. As I wasn't happy with the way the transmitter would twizzle in the output socket, I've now got a Levy's wireless holder on my strap - the Lekato transmitter sits folded in this, plugged in to the female end of a 75cm male jack to female socket extension cable from Designacable. Works well enough, though I do sometimes wish I'd asked if I could have a right-angle jack on the instrument end of the cable as this would have been even neater.

https://www.designacable.com/un-balanced-guitar-extension-lead-van-damme-xke-cable.html

Screenshot 2024-04-14 09.17.12.png

Sounds good. I’ve just had a rather infuriating email conversation with designacable asking quite simply for two leads, one right angle jack to Jack with 70cm between them and another like the one you’ve pictured but angled male jack and 1.5” long (to plug receiver into pedalboard so it doesn’t stick out) and they’ve misinterpreted me twice now!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ped said:

Sounds good. I’ve just had a rather infuriating email conversation with designacable asking quite simply for two leads, one right angle jack to Jack with 70cm between them and another like the one you’ve pictured but angled male jack and 1.5” long (to plug receiver into pedalboard so it doesn’t stick out) and they’ve misinterpreted me twice now!

Have to confess I've always just bought stock items from them rather than going down the custom route, so have avoided any such irritation. Good luck, hope you manage to get the message through eventually!

• Like 1

That is the same one I have, other than mine is white and cuvave, used for the last n years now, and never had a problem with. I only got them because I lost my previous ones and my smoothhound was being repaired, but they have been so trouble free and reliable over the last years that I would need something to pull me away from using them. They also have the advantage of being very light, so they don't flap too much

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is the same one I have, other than mine is white and cuvave, used for the last n years now, and never had a problem with. I only got them because I lost my previous ones and my smoothhound was being repaired, but they have been so trouble free and reliable over the last years that I would need something to pull me away from using them. They also have the advantage of being very light, so they don't flap too much

I dont have an issue with how they work, but im not a fan of how they look and feel. I also haven’t got used to the on/off switch yet. I can changing channels on the transmitter by mistake while fumbling around. A bit smaller should also be nice, but at this price point i cant complain. 

7 hours ago, tony_m said:

Have to confess I've always just bought stock items from them rather than going down the custom route, so have avoided any such irritation. Good luck, hope you manage to get the message through eventually!

I know you shouldn’t have to, but draw it in Word or something and send them a PDF?

22 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

I know you shouldn’t have to, but draw it in Word or something and send them a PDF?

I did, it’s like they totally ignored them. I drew a diagram of the angled 1/4” jack to female jack lead and they messaged back with a link to a normal cable and said “something like this?”

Two emails later and I’m going somewhere else depending on their reply maybe tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

1 hour ago, ped said:

I did, it’s like they totally ignored them. I drew a diagram of the angled 1/4” jack to female jack lead and they messaged back with a link to a normal cable and said “something like this?”

Two emails later and I’m going somewhere else depending on their reply maybe tomorrow. 

How odd, especially when it's summat they basically offer from stock with a minor tweak. o.O

This is how the Lekato + cable looks anyway...

20240414_194556.thumb.jpg.abef5d75d22a58dc85779359d4c66709.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ped said:

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I guess I’ll just go with this solution. It’s not like i really need to use those knobs in the heat of the moment. 

IMG_8357.thumb.jpeg.5d847587721488e96627500e6873d189.jpeg

I just have it about 7 o'clock. But I use a headstock hanger stand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

For some reason, every 'barrel' type jack socket I've ever encountered has been dodgy.

With most other jack socket types the contacts are accessible so you can bend them a bit if they start getting baggy. You can't do that with barrel jacks, hence them being consumable items.

If you don't gig i'm not sure why you would bother with a wireless system to be honest.

I use a lead at home when practicing and i don't find it a problem but i much prefer a wireless system when gigging especially with the Glam band. It saves tripping over any leads when wearing platform boots which was my main reason for one.

I had the Smooth Hound one but it was picking up occasional interference altho it was only rare occasions but it annoyed me when it did so i opted for the Shure GLXD pedal but that's only because i gig a lot.

Too much money if i wasn't gigging.

Our guitarist has tried a few cheaper versions and is currently on a BOSS wireless and he had trouble with it at our last gig and went back to his lead.

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If you don't gig i'm not sure why you would bother with a wireless system to be honest.

I use a lead at home when practicing and i don't find it a problem but i much prefer a wireless system when gigging especially with the Glam band. It saves tripping over any leads when wearing platform boots which was my main reason for one.

I had the Smooth Hound one but it was picking up occasional interference altho it was only rare occasions but it annoyed me when it did so i opted for the Shure GLXD pedal but that's only because i gig a lot.

Too much money if i wasn't gigging.

Our guitarist has tried a few cheaper versions and is currently on a BOSS wireless and he had trouble with it at our last gig and went back to his lead.

Dave

I have three kids, three cats and two dogs - avoiding a lead trailing across a room is a very good thing so I always use one at home!!

Ironically I seldom use my wireless when gigging as I often don't move far from the amp and find a cable a little more reliable!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

With most other jack socket types the contacts are accessible so you can bend them a bit if they start getting baggy. You can't do that with barrel jacks, hence them being consumable items.

Can’t you unscrew them And do the same? I’ve done that in the past with the one i had. 
The jacks on my Lekato seem to be just a tiny bit thinner than the Xvive. They rotate in the socket on my P bass so my options are having hanging down or rotated and stored away on the bass as in the photo above. Either is fine i guess but i would be more worried about it ganging down and then putting the bass down. 

2 hours ago, SimonK said:

I have three kids, three cats and two dogs - avoiding a lead trailing across a room is a very good thing so I always use one at home!!

Ironically I seldom use my wireless when gigging as I often don't move far from the amp and find a cable a little more reliable!

Fair point.

My gear is in a specific room with door closed at all times, no cats and no wife allowed in without permission ............... unless she tells me she's going in of course :laugh1:

Dave

On 14/04/2024 at 13:28, dave_bass5 said:

I guess I’ll just go with this solution. It’s not like i really need to use those knobs in the heat of the moment. 

IMG_8357.thumb.jpeg.5d847587721488e96627500e6873d189.jpeg

I use a few different wireless units (for practice, rehearsal and gigs) and the ones that dont come with a clip (LEKATO WS-90 and Smoothound) I came up with a solution that works for me. If you're jumping around the stage then you'll probably need something more substantial. I simply use a hair wrap the strap end is fed through, patch cable and jack to jack socket!

20240417_131100.thumb.jpg.9f6f4b866e291a57048fccb54fad9807.jpg20240417_131130.thumb.jpg.b9e48a054666133d780f884857708e06.jpg20240417_131207.thumb.jpg.4f098ad4c0c8fb0ca351a74af9fdea91.jpg20240417_131234.thumb.jpg.4a28a1267c02a63af47c39bb830c00b2.jpg20240417_131250.thumb.jpg.7fce0310c966cdff08101cf123f8bc0f.jpg

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

I use a few different wireless units (for practice, rehearsal and gigs) and the ones that dont come with a clip (LEKATO WS-90 and Smoothound) I came up with a solution that works for me. If you're jumping around the stage then you'll probably need something more substantial. I simply use a hair wrap the strap end is fed through, patch cable and jack to jack socket!

20240417_131100.thumb.jpg.9f6f4b866e291a57048fccb54fad9807.jpg20240417_131130.thumb.jpg.b9e48a054666133d780f884857708e06.jpg20240417_131207.thumb.jpg.4f098ad4c0c8fb0ca351a74af9fdea91.jpg20240417_131234.thumb.jpg.4a28a1267c02a63af47c39bb830c00b2.jpg20240417_131250.thumb.jpg.7fce0310c966cdff08101cf123f8bc0f.jpg

That is a super neat solution. Replace one end of the cable with a locking jack socket and I reckon the hairbands would be hold up to some jumping around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I always use one except when I'm using the Nux Mighty Plug. Leads just get in the way. With bug-type wirelesses, it's hardly any more onerous than plugging a lead in.

41 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

I had a cable made up for my Smoothound with a locking female jack one end and standard jack the other and bought a slim holder to attach to my strap.

Dave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I always use one except when I'm using the Nux Mighty Plug. Leads just get in the way. With bug-type wirelesses, it's hardly any more onerous than plugging a lead in.

At home I just leave my cable attached to the amp and the other end left on the floor next to the amp. If i'm using a passive bass at home to practice i'll just leave the lead plugged in so its not really any bother. I usually sit down at home to practice or learn new songs so i'm not tripping over any leads and not an issue for me.  I can understand when you have kids or pets in same room tho. As for ease of use a cable left attached is no different from plugging in the wireless every time you want to use it plus i don't need to charge it.

Dave