Why become a member? ×

NBD - 70’s Matsumoku “thing”

Pea Turgh

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’ve just lost an hour in a sanding trance. I feel I know this instrument intimately now.

I think what is left is sound enough to paint over.  I will need to put some sort of something on the bare wood sections, but after that it’ll be undercoat and then colour of choice (TBC).

Grain filler I think 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It seems a lot of work to go to to rescue a body, especially if it's plywood.

There was a suggestion above that it might be Sen 

it’s his bass, and his time. Our job is merely to smooth his path using our collective wisdom 

20 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It seems a lot of work to go to to rescue a body, especially if it's plywood.

Found a pic of the 2-pickup version body - the filled-in route is the right place for the neck pickup but the rest of the routing's totally different.

zegovfgjte336tjqnqkw.thumb.jpg.2691a5d8d7c89c02b8e95c8d7a6fb069.jpg

Even if it started being routed for 2 pickups, you'd wonder why they'd bother filling it, considering a pickguard was going to cover it.

Looks like veneered mahogany to me, solid rather than butcher-block.

• Like 2

I just couldn’t let it lie!!!  Sanded all the finish off the neck, as it was covered in dings and cracks.

Sooo glad I did - even in 100 grit it looks lush!  Need to go buy a load of sandpaper and some of that stuff everyone uses but I can’t remember the name of, will then slurry & buff - aiming for a satin finish.

I am aware that I keep asking for advice, then changing direction - sorry!

Neck pics - just wiped down with a damp cloth to check for old finish.

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7517.jpeg

On 08/11/2023 at 17:20, Pea Turgh said:

I am aware that I keep asking for advice, then changing direction - sorry!

Don't apologise, the best part of these little project threads is that they have plot twists. 

You start off with a rough idea of how things are going to go and then once work starts it throws up obstacles and inspirations. I always poetically say that the instrument talks to you and tells you what it wants. I'll quite often leave it leant against the chair opposite the sofa so I keep glancing at it, ideas slowly percolate that are sometimes quite different to the original plan, or it just reinforces the plan. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Neck is fully stripped, up to 240 grit and smooooth.

What grit does one go up to before first coat of finish on bare wood?

I'm not sure with wood. 240 is probably enough as the oil wants to penetrate a bit and you sand the first couple of coats in and wipe off the excess. As opposed to the paint which just sits on the top and shows every little scratch. 

• Thanks 1

The finish didn’t look so bad in the photos, but up close it really was a mess under the black paint.  So many nasty chips and cracks.  And I’m so pleased with the way the neck looks after a damn good sanding - so smooth and uniform.  So, out came the sander…

The body looks exactly like the stripped one @Bassassin posted - maybe 5mm+ faces on top of some other wood.  Very happy with it.  I’m still thinking a medium to dark stain is the way to go.

IMG_7526.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm not sure with wood. 240 is probably enough as the oil wants to penetrate a bit and you sand the first couple of coats in and wipe off the excess. As opposed to the paint which just sits on the top and shows every little scratch. 

I had good results up to 500 on the neck, with just 2 or 3 wiped coats of tru-oil. Never felt a slicker neck in my life.

Took the afternoon off work as I was feeling under the weather.  Did I rest?

No.  I sanded.

All the old finish is now off.  The body appears to be made of 2”x1” sections with a front and back facing.  It looks lush.  Needs a lot more sanding to get a nice consistency, but I feel I am close to putting some finish on.

I’m going with a Mocha kind-of finish.  Been looking at the Crimson guitar stains and finishes.  Might have to mix them to get the color I want.  Anyone with any mocha experience, please feel free to chime in!

5D9BA9A5-50E5-43D4-8C43-F58003C9DDD3.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg

IMG_7553.jpeg

IMG_7554.jpeg

• Like 2

Just came across this and it's a fascinating mystery story.  Easily as interesting as the many big money builds that appear here.

For a super smooth finish, I like to wipe over with an only just damp cloth and sand again immediately.  Not everyone likes this but it is a tip from a woodwork teacher a thousand years ago and has worked for me.

• Thanks 1

Got the neck sanded nicely to 320 grit.  Received an order of Crimson Guitars stains and wipe on finish, so did the neck (just finish, no stain on that).

There is surprisingly little in the way of instructional videos on the application of this stuff.  Which is a shame, because it looks like I’ll have to sand it off again!  

I wiped it on with paper towel, then buffed it as per instructions.  Damn stuff is streaky.

Anyone have any hints & tips as to how to get a uniform finish with this stuff?  Go up the grits with wet n dry?

IMG_7590.jpeg

IMG_7589.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

• Like 1