Why become a member? ×

The late Great Dee Murray

funkgod

Going on from my other post, i wanted to open this conversation out a bit more about dee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Murray

a couple of things here.

one to keep dees name open to be remembered as the fantastic bass player that he was and the raw deal he unfairly got from elton john who should of stayed with him and Nigel the drummer, but used them for the first load of great albums, sacked them, then used them again and then sacked them again, just a horrid thing to go through given all they had put in,

some guy did a great youtube clip about this subject, its interesting.

Also  this...

DeeMurrayGL1000.thumb.jpg.6fb3671c24ddec905750bad2830931fc.jpg

Im not sure about the dee murray and G&L advert, i did check out some live stuff about 80, to about 84 ish and i never saw dee using this bass, around this time he was using his stinberger stick bass mainly, and his white jazz now and again,  does anyone know or can find a link of him using this G&L bass or any info ?

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

I LOVE Dee!!

He was one of a group of seventies/early eighties bassists (Peter Cetera, Tiran Porter, Rutger Gunnarsson, John Deacon, Joe Puerta, etc) who took groove, melody and counterpoint within pop/rock music to a new creative level...
You're right, Elton should have never sacked him & Nigel!

• Like 3

The reason I play bass.
In my early teens I’d listen to each new EJ album my big brothers bought between 71-76. 
Dee inspired my playing and ,along with Davey and Nigel, developed my love for BV’s.

The Ballad of Danny Bailey!!  😍

Then Kenny P defined my love for fretless.  

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 2

Dee  Murray has long been one of my favourite players and an inspiration. I always get the feeling he was one of those players who was naturally gifted. I don't think he had to practice the bass much, he just had an innate musicality that made it easy for him. He always knew how to make his playing interesting without ever getting in the way. A lot like Paul McCartney in that respect. 

• Like 2

Elton was among the first artists I got into when I started listening to music properly as a kid in the 70s. Although I couldn't count Dee as a direct influence, it was clear (as soon as I became aware of such things) the level of musicianship within the band was stellar and Dee's playing impeccable.

Also I had no idea he was from Gillin'am in Kent, just like me! Fellow Medway Tahns scum! B|

Dee Murray has been hugely influential on my playing throughout my musical career.

He could hold down the groove effortlessly whilst still filling in melody and harmony to not just support but enhance the song.

You don't have to be hyper technical to be a bass god!

• Like 1

On 26/10/2023 at 19:27, Misdee said:

I would have to rate Elton's band up to 1976 as one of the very best backing groups of the 1970s.

It was a great time for amazing backing bands, with stand out bass players. The Spiders with Trevor Bolder and Alice Cooper with Dennis Dunaway immediately spring to mind.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2023 at 12:37, jezzaboy said:

Great player, just watch this clip form the BBC.

not seen that clip befor and yes i think this sums dee up very well, its just insanely good, almost fusion jazz in parts, .

was watching this clip below and jon blackstone goes on to say at about 38:15 about Dees white jazz bass being left in his will to Clive franks, who was the FOH sound guy from eltons band, elton would not have anyone else do the job, Clive also mixed and produced a lot of eltons albums, seems he was surrounded by a lot of very talented people at that time, im sure there are a lot more unsung heroes that have helped push eltons buss.

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1