Why become a member? ×

Album of the Week Club.

Newfoundfreedom

33 minutes ago, LowB_FTW said:

It gives me vibes from a couple of other bands that I listen to, but I'll reserve name ing until I've heard the full album,

Listening to Hornos Del Cal and La Bestia, I kept thinking of Coldplay.  The vocals in  La Sangre y el eco reminds of an indie song that I hear on the radio all the time but the name of the band has annoyingly escaped me.

• Like 1

I find it difficult to get into music sung in a language I can't understand; the only non-western genre of music I like is Indian classical, so no lyrics.

I lump this band into 0's indie, I hear influences of Coldplay, Bloc Party and perhaps the Killers.  There is also, no doubt, a lot of local Venezuelan influence there too but I'm not au fait with music from South America.

I thought some songs were quite good, mainly those that were closer to western indie rock.  Hornos Del Cal and La Bestia, I mentioned above, also 'Aun'.  Overall though, its not my thing and I doubt I'd listen to it again.  

Personally, I'd give this 5/10 but part of that low mark is down to me not understanding Spanish.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

Well, I got to the end but needed a break halfway through, found this a tough one to take any pleasure from. I'm ok with not understanding the words but I do find the Castilian tongue to be a difficult one to listen to when sung, it all sounds so busy, as did much of the instrumentation on this. I think @BillyBass comparing it to Coldplay didn't help, either :biggrin: It was quite the relief when it wrapped up after 48 long, long minutes. Still, this is the whole idea of Album of the Week Club, taking you out of your comfort zone. One week you're pleasantly surprised, the next, you think the album is an...

On 17/11/2023 at 16:41, toneknob said:

anagram of 'derrière'

I agree, Dr Eerier. 2/10.

Listened to all of it, don't mind the non-English vocals (I'm a Magma fan ffs) but equally not really my bag. Ok though, and better than previous arbitrary "derrière" (anag)

I wonder if band members on any AotWs are casually googling their bandname and ending up here? Probably not Bjork tbh.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 13:13, Newfoundfreedom said:

Another interesting one this week. 

Latin pop/post punk/rock.

Not exactly a go to genre for me but I'm give it a go. 

I've re-listened to this, and I still like it.

Some thoughts …
There's a weird gap/break between the end of the first track and the start of the second. I thought this was just my internet connection the first time I listened to it, but it happened the second time and it's just weird. It totally took me out of the listening experience, which was a shame because I like the first track and it just didn't work for me.

Listening to this I get vibes from a couple of bands I like, La Bottine Souriante, and Placebo. I've no idea what the former of these bands is singing about in any of their songs, just like this AotW. 😂

For me, listening to the tune and instrumentation comes first in music, the lyrics after that, so it really doesn’t bother me what language is being used to sing.

Mark

• Like 2

I'd like to listen to something new while cooking this evening and as @Newfoundfreedom has chucked a sickie (we want a doctor's certificate by the way, or a letter from your mum), I'll do this:

https://theshfl.com/album/The-Ground

https://www.deezer.com/search/Tord Gustavsen Trio – The Ground

• Thanks 1

I'll go first then.

I liked this.  I played it whilst cooking, so it was technically in the 'background', which it fits well.  It's quite an easy listen but didn't blow my socks off.  From a bassist's point of view, it's nice to hear the timbre of a double bass.

Would I go and see these live if they turned up at the Barbican?  Not by myself but my missus liked them and she would be keen, if I went too.  As background music it's great and I'm sure they would be popular in some posh hotel in central London that has their own jazz trio, but I imagine Tord Gustavsen would be insulted by that.

7/10

• Like 1

Beautifully played and recorded (as is all ECM jazz!), and a lovely bit of background dinner jazz. But, for me that's all it is.

I couldn't lose myself in it because there just aren't enough surprises, or fireworks - it's a sort of a continuum of nice-ness but lacks the killer punch.

If I'm going to listen to a piano jazz trio I'd go Jacques Loussier or The Bad Plus every time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Listening now. Somebody nudge me if you see me fall asleep. 

I jested, but I’m not sure I have a use for this album other than the next time I’m having trouble nodding off. If it was more interesting it could go on the ‘late night’ playlist, but it’s a bit too self-consciously music-for-getting stoned-to for that. Maybe if I ever need a soundtrack for a video of endlessly zooming in to a Mandelbrot set.