Why become a member? ×

Live Aid - The Musical

toneknob

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Page blames Collins in that article - the drumming seemed OK, the lead guitar was absolute crap, and the vocals initially were also crap.

I've no time for Genesis or Collins's solo material but his drumming is about the only good thing in LZ's set, not that their songs are up to much anyway IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've no time for Genesis or Collins's solo material but his drumming is about the only good thing in LZ's set, not that their songs are up to much anyway IMO. 

Their songs are mostly other people's songs anyway. Status Quo might have been the luckiest pub band in the world, but Led Zep were the luckiest covers band.

I was 6 , had zero interest in music.

I do remember having a Star wars audio tape at the time of live aid as my cousin who is 4 years older gave it to me when that was on the telly. To this day I still haven't watched it.

17 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

Whose fault is it that Phil Collins was playing with LZ and not some other excellent drummer who had beem given time to work with the other musicians? Yeah, Jimmy Page, that's you. 

And this mid-80s junk is also you, too.

I'm LZ agnostic - But I'd much sooner have their under rehearsed performance captured for eternity. Versus a pre-recorded note perfect show as offered by Madonna et al. all these years later.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MB - Cheshire said:

I'm LZ agnostic - But I'd much sooner have their under rehearsed performance captured for eternity. Versus a pre-recorded note perfect show as offered by Madonna et al. all these years later.

Agreed. It's rock'n'roll innit.

36 minutes ago, MB - Cheshire said:

But that is really bad.

I suspect most covers bands would be embarrassed to be playing such a well known song so poorly at the Dog & Duck, so why is it OK for Mr Page to be murdering it?

• Like 2

That is dreadful...and he looks so pleased with himself, too...drugs are bad, kids...

I watched most of it during the day, then went out to a rock club and watched some of the US stuff later at a friends house, but I was kinda worn out by it by then. Queen put in probably the greatest 20 minute shift in rock music that day, they were completely on it, and they overran their 20 minutes (including Freddy's audience singalong) by 20 seconds...

16 hours ago, BigRedX said:

But that is really bad.

I suspect most covers bands would be embarrassed to be playing such a well known song so poorly at the Dog & Duck, so why is it OK for Mr Page to be murdering it?

I remember him taking some time out years ago, and then he turned up on (IIRC) OGWT with Roy Harper on a hillside somewhere, saying he was playing better now than he ever had, and then Roy Harper played a song and Page put some excrutiatingly bad guitar over it.

To add to my previous post, I bought the dvd many years ago and had a look through again since this thread came up...gotta mention Paul Young with Alison Moyet also Sade and The Pretenders. Gunna have to give credit to Adam Ant also, not sure why he got so much stick. It's weird but for me it was a big deal in my life, just as much as The Hungerford Massacre, Diana accident, and 7/7. 

I find it quite interesting that it didn't register on some peoples radar on this forum. Not a criticism but just opened my eyes in my older age....we're always learning.

• Like 1