Why become a member? ×

paying cash for a bass?

Musicman666

I spent 12 years working in retail when cash was about 60% of our takings. I worked in big places that took tens of thousands a day. In that whole time I came across 2 counterfeit notes, one of which we rejected as payment and 1 which we found cashing up. 
Honestly, counterfeit money isn’t as common as you think, and if it feels and looks real it probably will be. If you are still unsure insist on paying it into the bank before handing goods over, once the cashier has accepted it then it’ll never come back to you even in the unlikely event of it being dodgy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great question! Paying cash for a bass in person is common, but it's essential to be cautious. I've done it, and I'd recommend meeting in a public place, checking the bass thoroughly, and maybe even using a counterfeit money detection pen for peace of mind. Also, it's good to consult professionals (Mortgage Broker Taunton) before making big financial decisions. Better safe than sorry!

Edited by KaydenLevine

Times have changed re cash vs card or Paypal. Some years back Mrs G owned a cafe business which was 90% cash takings. She needed a new (to her) car so we swapped £9k cash in £10 notes (thus avoiding bank paying-in charges) from the business for her annual dividend and presented an M&S bag to the dealer full of tenners. He was shell-shocked but carefully counted the first £4k then said OK, awarding himself the CBA (Can't Be A*rsed medal) of the day. I think he thought we were suburban drug-dealers... well, coffee, innit?

More recently we had a conservatory added to the place, amazingly the builders wanted card not cash  - 3 x £9.9k payments over 3 days accepted without any problem by the card company, who nonetheless still hassle me for phone verification over £5 buys on eBay.

Paypal? Biggest musical payment to a total stranger was for a King tenor sax (£5.5k) bought from a guy in the States, who said he could deliver it in Europe while on business. I met him in the arrivals lounge at Gatwick, we found a corner with seat, I played the thing with a mouthpiece I'd brought along to check it out, to the alarm and despondency of the security folk who thought I was setting up to busk, shook hands and did a Paypal transfer on the iPad I'd also brought along. I did have to answer one security question, but luckily I could remember my mother's maiden name...

So all methods are available - least bothersome was the sale of my Fender Bassman 135 cab to a fellow basschatter - price was paid exactly in cash in a local carpark - £1.00!

Edited by Gasman
spelling
  • Like 2

I could be wrong but someone trying to shift wedges of dodgy money is probably going to flag up well in advance of a meet up i.e. they'll not be ar5ed about haggling or may not even care about the instrument.  To top it all off there are probably more counterfeit F*nder basses than their are counterfeit notes!  Just saying.  ;)  

• Like 3