Why become a member? ×

Player Series Jazz - Modification suggestions PUPS & control plate

Nothingman

I bought this Player series Jazz of here from BassAdder60. 

It already was modded with high mass bridge and black pick guard. 

I’m in love with the thing and it has taken over my MIJ P-bass as my go to. 

However, my P has high output pups and the jazz is less so. 

So I’m toying with the idea of getting some high output PUPS in there. So, I’ve get a more levelled sound when swapping between basses. 

I’m so far from techy it hurts, so I’ll be paying somebody to do the work. So this is all a new world to me. 

But can anyone recommend some high output PUPs for jazz bass? 

I play alt rick with a pick (mainly) and like an aggressive tone. 

Brand recommendations would be most welcome. 

In addition (there’s another post about this) I’m looking to replace the knobs with domed chrome ones. But can’t find any to fit a solid shaft. 

So if anyone can recommend pot replacement and hardware, I could replace it all in a oner. 

Let me know what you’d suggest. 

IMG_0664.jpeg

Now - tinkering is all good fun, but you say you're in love with the thing. I would be cautious about changing anything right away if you're happy with it as it is.

I appreciate you say the output isn't as high, so maybe a boost pedal would be an idea first? 

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Now - tinkering is all good fun, but you say you're in love with the thing. I would be cautious about changing anything right away if you're happy with it as it is.

I appreciate you say the output isn't as high, so maybe a boost pedal would be an idea first? 

Fair point. 

But I should of staters I’m in love with the feel and everything else. Just not the output from pups 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nothingman said:

Fair point. 

But I should of staters I’m in love with the feel and everything else. Just not the output from pups 

We're not talking about defacing the Mona Lisa here, we're talking about a simple mod on a Fender MIM bass. People mod Fenders more than any other bass, and you can always go back to the original pickups if you want to.

When I was considering swapping pickups on my Squier 40th-Anniversary Vintage Jazz bass, you wouldn't believe how many people told me not to do it, even though I also have a Classic Vibe and several other Jazz basses, all completely stock.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

Knobs... try Vanson nice feel and quality. I like there Full Dome knobs(!) and have em on lots of bitsas and modders... push on though.

High Output Pup's... Entwistle JBXN...

https://entwistlepickups.com/

Modification Suggestion... How much room under the scratch plate?... Go Jazz PJ!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I can use a soldering iron but I'm no expert. So if I change pickups on a bass I tend to add plastic connectors to the wires coming from the controls as it makes future upgrades much easier. 

You can get them on ebay and then you can forget about soldering if you want to play around with different pickups in the future.

Just google 'Terminal Strips' on google.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Truly noiseless, very potent...and you're right, they look great in all three colors.

Great to hear! I love the overall sound of the Schecter monster tone pickups but they sometimes just sound a little flat or lifeless. The shape makes them uncomfortable to rest your thumb on for any length of time, really noticeable after switching to another bass for a few days.

Think I’ll pull the trigger next pay day👌

• Like 1