Why become a member? ×

Have I found the perfect mute sponge?

Duroc17

Bought this today and stuck under the strings on my jazz then cut into it where strings indented it. Then I slightly pulled it apart ahd kept doing so until the tension on the strings became light and it sounds great. 

less mutey than a Nordy and hidden under my ashtray - gigging it Friday 

PVA sponge - mailable and smells like Playdoh £2.90! 

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8758.jpeg

Edited by Duroc17
  • Like 4

I'll try one, big fan of 'em, have a few different widths for more/less damping (used on a P/J with D'Add chrome flats).

**TRICK** do we all do this? Put a slight taper on the foam so wider at 4th/E  and less so at 1st/G. Otherwise you get way more damping as the string gauge goes down. It's just an approximate thing - treble side of foam around 3/4 the width of bass side. Based on the amount of energy in the vibrating string, a lot more as you move from the G towards the E so for even damping effect you need more foam progressively towards the E.

18 hours ago, Soledad said:

I'll try one, big fan of 'em, have a few different widths for more/less damping (used on a P/J with D'Add chrome flats).

**TRICK** do we all do this? Put a slight taper on the foam so wider at 4th/E  and less so at 1st/G. Otherwise you get way more damping as the string gauge goes down. It's just an approximate thing - treble side of foam around 3/4 the width of bass side. Based on the amount of energy in the vibrating string, a lot more as you move from the G towards the E so for even damping effect you need more foam progressively towards the E.

Yes used to do that but with this i have torn the fabric more toward D and G and then hidden under ashtray - means on all the time but suits my sound for what i do 🙂 

On 05/10/2023 at 14:49, dudewheresmybass said:

is it giving you a clean sound?

7 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

wouldnt say exactly clean but has a short decay to length of the note which is what i want in muting but still some clarity 

Play on words Shirley?

• Like 1