Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first Rickenbacker

tvickey

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

FYI, the Rick standard strings are nickel rounds and have an unusual set of gauges with 45,55,75,105

Interesting.  Thanks for this comment.  The strings that I would normally put on are DR Lo-rider mediums with the gauges 45 65 85 105. 

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

(even though annoyingly to my ears it doesn't sound like a Ric)

My old band recorded a demo of some of the covers in our set as a marketing tool for getting gigs. Two of the tracks were recorded with my old 4003s. Listening to the rough mix, straight after the session, the Ric sounded great, really growly, definitely a Ric. However, when it was mastered and the final product was delivered, all that Ric-ness had disappeared, just a generic bass tone. OK, it was probably more like the tone of the original tracks, but all the character that I liked was gone :( . The guy who recorded, engineered and mastered it - a bass player!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ezbass said:

My old band recorded a demo of some of the covers in our set as a marketing tool for getting gigs. Two of the tracks were recorded with my old 4003s. Listening to the rough mix, straight after the session, the Ric sounded great, really growly, definitely a Ric. However, when it was mastered and the final product was delivered, all that Ric-ness had disappeared, just a generic bass tone. OK, it was probably more like the tone of the original tracks, but all the character that I liked was gone :( . The guy who recorded, engineered and mastered it - a bass player!

I was in a band a while back and the sound folks did a recording and proudly presented it; they'd completely killed the Ric tone, so I told them I never wanted to hear it again (I never did).

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

I’ve a query for the more experienced Rickenbacker owner compared to me that is. What’s your method in checking neck relief  & string height on your bass ? I’ve a 2023 4003 single truss rod version

Press on the 1st and top fret and there should be a business card's gap at the 12th fret.

String height is as low as it'll go without choking the notes!

• Like 2