Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

Changed the strings and did a set up. One small high spot around the 12th fret on the G side, I'll narrow it down and polish out. Couldn't get the D & G pickup high enough without the pickup going slack on the screws (trying to match the out of my JMJ), an extra bit of foam under the pickup sorted that. No cavity shielding I notice, but it's quiet as snowflake fall, so not an issue.

Edited by ezbass

Just now, ezbass said:

Changed the strings and did a set up. One small high spot around the 12th fret on the G side, I'll narrow it down and polish out. Couldn't get the D & G pickup high enough without the pickup going slack on the screws (trying to match the out of my JMJ), an extra bit of foam under the pickup sorted that. No cavity shielding I notice, but is's quiet as snowflake fall, so not an issue.

I changed the pickguard on mine to a tort and it started to buzz really badly. Put the anodized one back on and it stopped. So I will need to get some shielding up on my tort plate.

Is the vintage blonde finish solid or translucent (it looks slightly translucent on the Thomann pics)? Also, is this essentially the same build/component quality as a Squier CV 60s P? Sorry, I know I'm a little late to the party on this!

• Like 1

I've played a couple in shops and iirc, the blonde is translucent. I've seen a few in shops that haven't been matched well and you can see some pretty blatant joins. So you can either risk a return if you're not happy with the finish, or just get the red?

Cracking basses though and these seem to be up there with the CV range to me.

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I changed the pickguard on mine to a tort and it started to buzz really badly. Put the anodized one back on and it stopped. So I will need to get some shielding up on my tort plate.

Ooh, good to know, I've just ordered a tort plate. I'll get some copper tape pronto.

I had some lightweight Hipshot tuners spare, so I've chucked them on, it now weighs 3.67kg, less than my Mustang.

1 hour ago, ikay said:

Is the vintage blonde finish solid or translucent (it looks slightly translucent on the Thomann pics)? Also, is this essentially the same build/component quality as a Squier CV 60s P? Sorry, I know I'm a little late to the party on this!

Yes, it is slightly translucent, but less noticeably so because it's a matt finish.

Edited by ezbass

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Yes, it is slightly translucent, but less noticeably so because it's a matt finish.

30 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I've played a couple in shops and iirc, the blonde is translucent. I've seen a few in shops that haven't been matched well and you can see some pretty blatant joins.

👍 Good to know. I think I can see a faint line on the Thomann pics where one part of the underlying body wood is darker than the rest.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Ooh, good to know, I've just ordered a tort plate. I'll get some copper tape pronto.

I had some lightweight Hipshot tuners spare, so I've chucked them on, it now weighs 3.67kg, less than my Mustang.

Where have you ordered the tort plate from? 

20 hours ago, ikay said:

Yes, translucent...you can see the grain.

I've seen quite a few nice ones but several that looked pretty bad, indeed.

Might be a good idea to check these out in person...this from someone who owns 12 basses, 9 purchased online.

I'd like to meet the genius who thought this was a good idea just to ask him why they weren't painted Dakota Red instead.

kz61igionw7j2tb2ukyf.jpg

apbdyok5o75lijinrbxb.jpg

Picsart_23-09-16_07-38-31-608.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jd56hawk said:

Yes, translucent...you can see the grain.

I've seen quite a few nice ones but several that looked pretty bad, indeed.

Might be a good idea to check these out in person...this from someone who owns 12 basses, 9 purchased online.

I'd like to meet the genius who thought this was a good idea just to ask him why they weren't painted Dakota Red instead.

kz61igionw7j2tb2ukyf.jpg

apbdyok5o75lijinrbxb.jpg

Picsart_23-09-16_07-38-31-608.jpg

in fact, they shouldn't let this guitar leave the paint shop and it should be changed to red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jd56hawk said:

Sorry, can't watch that guy!

He can be hard work, but fast forward is your friend.

1 hour ago, sPiKi said:

Yeah, paint job seems to be hit-and-miss. I was lucky with mine. Check out Johnny Dibble's review on YT where he addresses this issue:

It was mainly on the back IIRC; odd.

I wonder if the finish would take a spray over easily, given its non gloss finish, it does feel kind of primer like.

• Like 1

I don't know w20230916_164108.thumb.jpg.0f474be292de4f38b72de06bd00cd136.jpghat Squire intended with these basses but traditionally the blonde finish on  Fender Telecasters is always translucent.

This is my Baja Tele

Agree with the case above that body should've have been designated for a solid finish.

• Like 1