Why become a member? ×

greghagger

I know very little music theory compared to some, but one thing what I have learned is why the things I learned from learning from recordings and jamming actually work.

I found it a bit like learning a slightly more complex bit of maths that unifies what you we're already familiar with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greghagger said:

That was quite a long-winded way to say that you replied without watching the video. 

Of course we all have biases, mine is that I value music theory, yours is that you don’t. But surely presenting a question as the title of a video is acceptable even if I already know my answer? I thought that using ten famous bass players from a list that I didn’t pick and looking into their musical education was an objective way to sidestep my bias as much as possible. It surprised me that even more than I thought had studied music  when I did this. 

Anyway, as I said before, I’m not looking to try to changed people’s mind but to present the facts and I reckon that over 40 years of studying many different styles of music and playing bass professionally for over 25 years puts me a good position to make this video. 

I think you misinterpreted my reply, if not right out ignoring parts of it, as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with responding to people's comments in a thread, rather than videos posted, although I am sure you are happy for the coins you get from people clicking it (if you didn't want people to comment on anything but the video, you could just have posted the video and spared your strongly opinionated write up as to why you made the video, which apparently now, according to yourself, is irrelevant, despite you choosing to post it :scratch_one-s_head:).  

Sure we all have biases, but sometimes it is a healthy exercise to at least try being objective, and actually challenge our own closemindedness.

Only presenting facts that supports your opinion is not very objective and a rather lazy attempt, if even an attempt at all, to side step bias.

If you had honestly actually at least tried to be objective, as your video title promise, you would have digged up examples that could support the opposite viewpoint, which, remember, was not weather music theory is useful, which would be right out silly to oppose, but rather if learning music theory is a necessity to become/be a proper/"real" bass player.   

Your own premises, not mine, which unfortunately you do absolutely nothing to investigate or challenge in that video, despite choosing a tittle that promises so, rather than being honest, for which the only reason I can think of being to attract more clicks.

But at least after all you still seem to have enough integrity left to have spared insulting your viewer's intelligence further by including big red arrows in the video thumbnail. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Sad 1

I'm starting to get more into theory after years of coasting along and kind of rebelling against it when I was younger.

It's taking time for some of it to sink in but there's so much great information available especially on YouTube it's almost overwhelming 🤣

The main reason for wanting to learn more is to be able to mirror what's in my head much easier when playing with others and creating lines, I've found learning theory fast tracks that process so I spend less time farting around.

It also helps me figure out parts of songs a lot quicker.

I really wish I'd taken more of an interest at an earlier stage but you lives and learns!

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

It's taking time for some of it to sink in but there's so much great information available especially on YouTube it's almost overwhelming 🤣

I find the problem isn't getting it in, as much stopping it leaking out again 😆

Im sure I remember a time in my life when I could remember things!'

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I think you misinterpreted my reply, if not right out ignoring parts of it, as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with responding to people's comments in a thread, rather than videos posted, although I am sure you are happy for the coins you get from people clicking it (if you didn't want people to comment on anything but the video, you could just have posted the video and spared your strongly opinionated write up as to why you made the video, which apparently now, according to yourself, is irrelevant, despite you choosing to post it :scratch_one-s_head:).  

Sure we all have biases, but sometimes it is a healthy exercise to at least try being objective, and actually challenge our own closemindedness.

Only presenting facts that supports your opinion is not very objective and a rather lazy attempt, if even an attempt at all, to side step bias.

If you had honestly actually at least tried to be objective, as your video title promise, you would have digged up examples that could support the opposite viewpoint, which, remember, was not weather music theory is useful, which would be right out silly to oppose, but rather if learning music theory is a necessity to become/be a proper/"real" bass player.   

Your own premises, not mine, which unfortunately you do absolutely nothing to investigate or challenge in that video, despite choosing a tittle that promises so, rather than being honest, for which the only reason I can think of being to attract more clicks.

But at least after all you still seem to have enough integrity left to have spared insulting your viewer's intelligence further by including big red arrows in the video thumbnail. :i-m_so_happy:

Nothing constructive in your comment and you sound very defensive. There is a wealth of information out there for you to take or leave. What you decide to do really doesn’t matter to me, it’s your choice. But perhaps if you did learn music theory, you’d be in a better position to discuss whether you need it or not. 

There’s nothing to gain by this line of communication so let’s leave it here. 

• Like 3

I can’t be bothered to watch the video,

So for quickness… is is necessary to learn music theory to do what, exactly? That might make it easier to answer the question.

Apologies if this has already been asked / answered.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can’t be bothered to watch the video,

So for quickness… is is necessary to learn music theory to do what, exactly? That might make it easier to answer the question.

Apologies if this has already been asked / answered.

To play bass, which later was specified to "really" play bass, or some such nonsense, but without quotation marks.

24 minutes ago, itu said:

Analyze is the first word that comes to my mind. Analyze scores, playing, chords, scales... 

Well, that would be the obvious assumption, since that is exactly what music theory is a precondition for, and what is usually is good for, however that is not exactly what OP claimed, which is more in line with what I stated above.

Music theory is an analysis of music.

Of course tools can be used in advance, while playing, and afterwards.

I love those tools (although my understanding is still modest). I can play moderately several styles from old music to jazz standards, to Motown. I can read notes and chords, I can listen, transcribe, and even understand compositional choices to some extent. Theory is one big set of tools, that help you and me to play. Without my limited tool set I'd be even worse, and as said, I am not very good. Root and fifth, two beat, four beat, some walking etc.

There are and there has been masters who play anything, but not me. I need support. All theoretical understanding that I've learned, has opened up possibilities, and new, interesting territories. Why wouldn't you try something special, and understand why modal jazz sounds like it sounds, what is Schönberg doing with 12 notes, what is a chord progression, or a cadence? You may not need theory, and that's fine. I do.

• Like 2

I would say you absolutely don't NEED to know any theory, but there's probably a minimum that you could learn that would make your life a lot easier and your basic understanding of what you're doing a hell of a lot more interesting and engaging. It's also nice to be able to communicate to some degree using the language of musicians. Same as its easier to know a bit of Spanish on holiday 😁 - a little can go a long way.

Also if you learn some basics, it soon has a snowballing effect and you pick up other bits. 

Edited by How1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

Everyone knows some music theory.

We all know the difference between a root note and the 5, major from minor, A from a G. That's music theory.

Good point! That’s the thing, everyone picks up a certain amount of music theory unintentionally even without a teacher or without purposely studying music. 

On 29/08/2023 at 21:35, ahpook said:

I know very little music theory compared to some, but one thing what I have learned is why the things I learned from learning from recordings and jamming actually work.

I found it a bit like learning a slightly more complex bit of maths that unifies what you we're already familiar with.

It always amazes me that when you look at music theory and analyse music, there are always patterns there behind it all. Similar to the way that nature is made up of lots of pattens. 

The Circle Of Fifths diagram (or Cycle Of Fourths!) is a perfect example of the maths behind music. There are endless patterns in this circle. 

Of course it’s the human touch that truly makes a beautiful piece of music but music theory doesn’t take that magic away. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 13:48, Horizontalste said:

I'm sitting firmly on the fence on this one but what I will say is that music theory is exactly that, a theory, an agreed upon method of explaining the phenomenon that is music.

Music existed long before the theory of it did.

Yes, music existed before music theory and the theory has evolved as the music has evolved.