Why become a member? ×

Arriving, reflecting and departing - music for your funeral

snorkie635

32 minutes ago, alyctes said:

I'm still thinking about it.  But Talking Heads' 'Heaven' (the Stop Making Sense version) will be one of them.

This to arrive.  I'm not religious, but this is glorious.  And I love that rhythmic jump.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some people opt for classical pieces like Mozart's "Requiem" or Handel's "Messiah" for a more traditional feel, while others choose contemporary songs that were special to the person, such as Frank Sinatra's "My Way" or even more modern tracks like Ed Sheeran's "Supermarket Flowers." It really depends on the atmosphere you want to create and the emotions you want to evoke. As for my own funeral playlist, I haven't given it much thought yet. There's just so much incredible music out there! But I do find it fascinating how diverse people's choices can be. It's a testament to how music can touch our lives in unique and meaningful ways. By the way, have you ever heard of water based cremation? It's an eco-friendly alternative to traditional cremation methods. It involves using water and alkali to break down the body, leaving behind only bone fragments. It's becoming increasingly popular as a more sustainable option. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something you might be interested in exploring.

Edited by Meerryava

Coming in: La Villa Strangiato by Rush with co-ordinated pall bearer dance moves.

Reflection: Take this Waltz by Leonard Cohen with optional waltzing.

Bu**ering off: Ace of Spades by Motörhead at full volume, you win some, lose some, it's all the same to me.

Additionally, no black, primary colours only and big hats, because you absolutely cannot feel sad in a big f*cking hat.

• Haha 3

I'd probably go for the 45 minute version of the Grateful Dead's "Playing in the Band". that'll be something they won't forget in a hurry! Probably put them off  ever going to another funeral, as well.

Having said that, I will going to the funeral of a good friend in a couple of weeks. He was a Pink Floyd fan, and I can't stand them post Syd, so it could be a difficult hour listening to Dark Side of the Moon!

• 4 weeks later...

I had given this zero thought before seeing this intriguing topic.  Having given it some, here's my proposal.

Arriving: Ain't no Grave - Cageless Birds & Molly Skaggs

Reflection:  From Gagarin's Point of View - Esbjörn Svensson Trio

Departure:  Like a road leading home - Albert King

• Like 1

My mates dad died a few years ago - Pete was a legend, great sense of humour.

He asked for “Road To Hell” by Chris Rea

He meant the (more famous) part 2 - the Single.

we got the Album filler part 1.

it was funny. In a way.

this track in its entirety is on my funeral plan…

• Like 1

A Remark you made, Weather Report. It's sad, haunting, bass driven. 

A Tout Le Monde, Megadeth. It's a f'ing great song and I love it. And it's my party. Either that or Cutting Crew, Just Died in Your Arms. 

Death of a Clown by the Kinks for the ending, ever since the first time I heard it I knew the perfect occasion for it. 

These are my wishes.

• Like 1