Why become a member? ×

Beyoncé, listen only tickets

leschirons

38 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm the exact opposite. I wouldn't even consider going to a gig unless it was seated. 

Yup, we're off to see some old  prog rockers in September and that was the first question I asked.😂

• Haha 1

I think in 45 years of going to gigs I've been to 5 where only seats were available. Three of those bands I have also seen in standing venues and the experience there was far superior. Having to sit down for most the bands I would want to see is definitely less attractive, and it would have to be someone very special where there was absolutely no chance of getting a non-seated ticket.

If I wanted to sit down to see a band I'd do it at home watching them on TV, where I'm not going to be disturbed by people pushing past to get a drink or go for a fosters, where there is no chance of being stuck behind someone who is tall enough to block my view and where the drinks are better and cheaper. 

On further reflection, that $155 for a seat with no view of the stage would be perfect for the types who pay good money to go to a gig, only to spend the entire performance going to and from the bar, looking at their phone or shouting to their friends while getting ever more plastered.

Maybe Beyonce's tour management team have realised that there's even more easy money to be made from this strange niche in the market?🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I’m glad John Lee Hooker and BB King didn’t take that approach.

Which reminds me that I missed Les Paul from my list of seated gigs.

I went to see him at Iridium in NYC about 6 months before he died. Mr Paul was a great raconteur, despite arthritis of the hands he was still a better guitarist then I'll ever be, and his band were great, but everything else about the gig was horrible. We were packed in so tightly at the tables that it was almost impossible to eat your mandatory burger without assaulting the people sitting either side of you (and being assaulted in return). Standing other than to visit the "rest room" was forbidden. As soon as the "show" had finished we were ushered out so the next sitting could take our places.

TBH the sorts of bands I want to go and see do not suit sitting down to watch them. I'm happy to carry on going to standing gigs until I reach the point when I can't do it any more by which time I'll probably also be too deaf to hear the music anyway. Similarly with the playing. I'll do it until I physically can't (despite being the oldest in both my bands I'm probably in better physical shape than any of my bandmates) and then I'll record at home and release the results on-line.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

where there is no chance of being stuck behind someone who is tall enough to block my view

As I'm only 5' 8", this has happened to me at every single standing gig I have ever been to. I've never had an obstructed view at a seated gig. 

Actually no, I tell a lie. It happened at one seated gig. And that's because when the main act came on, everyone stood up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rich said:

As I'm only 5' 8", this has happened to me at every single standing gig I have ever been to. I've never had an obstructed view at a seated gig. 

Actually no, I tell a lie. It happened at one seated gig. And that's because when the main act came on, everyone stood up.

I'm only 5'6" and I can always find somewhere to stand where I have a decent view of the stage. Unlike at "seated" gigs where if everyone stands up and the person in front of me is taller, there is no possibility of moving to somewhere else.