Why become a member? ×

Grand Piano ... getting shot of

NickA

My father-in-law was just talking the other day about the piano smashing competition his students union held during rag week. They destroyed 13 pianos on the steps of Leeds town hall - rules were that you had to be able to pass the pieces through a 9 inch square hole... Team of 4, 1 sledge hammer per team. They were donated the pianos for free by a local piano shop who couldn't get rid of second hand ones. My father-in-law turned 80 last month so maybe this isn't as new a problem as you'd think!

Anyway, just last week we donated an upright piano to a local charity shop who arranged for a local piano tuner to come pick it up. Might be worth consideration. You shouldn't have to be paying to get rid of anything in this day and age.

On 31/07/2023 at 22:57, NickA said:

Browsing the piano companies .... Some things you cannot un see ( and it sounds like it looks!).  £13,000 !!!

Used-Bespoke-Interior-Design-Baby-Grand-

IKEA certainly upped their prices, must be that inflation, but I applaud them for introducing an instrument line.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm getting more and more into playing my battered old Spencer upright piano (1936). I got it for free 20yrs ago from a work colleague who had it re-conditioned then gave up on it. It just sounds great. I never got it tuned after the last move into my current house and it has a wild and woolly hauntology-drenched sound. They're wonderful things...

And as Rufus Reid says...."all bass players should make friends with the piano..."

Edited by Cairobill

Salutary lesson about the value we place on things and the value others place on them. Makes me very sad when I see eBay listings from some old-timer who thinks his old ......... is a family heirloom but which, in real terms, there is no longer a market. The world simply doesn't value the old, the inconvenient, or the unfashionable any more. It's a very sad reflection of digital-age values, and quite likely something that will punish future generations in terms of the sheer waste of resources and associated creation of pollution involved :( 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2023 at 21:51, NickA said:

Update. Thread closure. It's gone.  Piano dealer in Cambridge took it away (very neatly and efficiently) for free.

Result! All going to plan, ours is going on Friday - being collected by a local church. It's been going to them for six months, so it's been a bit of a saga. 

• Like 1