Why become a member? ×

Dad3353's Selection...

Dad3353

48 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I really like the "VIDEO UNAVAILABLE" post. I just keep going back to it...

If only I knew which one you're referring to, maybe I could do something about it (or maybe not, of course...). They are all visible to me, naturally, including the couple that others have posted. :|

35 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

J. L. was brilliant, highly recommend the "Julie is her name" LP ( with some very cool guitar by Barney Kessel btw ) 

I've been trying to play 'Misty', chord-melody, on guitar for nearly over half a century. One day, maybe; one day... :$

Edited by Dad3353
Where does the time fly..? :-[
  • Like 3

On 18/08/2023 at 02:33, Dad3353 said:

Top choice 👍 Valium jazz at its finest!

I love Julie London’s records but have a very soft spot for her final album before she returned to acting. “Yummy Yummy Yummy” from 1968 is stuffed full of pop hits of the day but she absolutely makes each one her own. As with Bobbie Gentry, I wish she’d continued her recording career. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frank Blank said:

Really liking this, tell us more Dad.

Are you sitting comfortably..? Then I'll begin...

For several years I was part of the 3 elephants festival organisation. 2004, our 'top of the bill' was Keziah Jones (further anecdotes relating to that show..!). On one of the secondary stages, I followed, backstage,  Meî Teï Shô; this was one of their 'numbers', and, just like the video above, had full participation from the packed marquee. I retained from this performance the riff on the bass, played by Boris Kulenovic. I was inspired by this bassline ten years later in composing my entry for the Composition Challenge, adding to the 7/4 beat a secondary 'doubling' of one note, in 6/4, so that it moves around as the rhythm advances. Here's what's left of that composition, with the picture that inspired it, chosen by Mike (Urb...)...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The marvellous and sadly departed, John Giblin on the bass guitar there.

Joan is such a talented songwriter and multi instrumentalist, I don't think a lot of folk realise how much.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The marvellous and sadly departed, John Giblin on the bass guitar there.

Joan is such a talented songwriter and multi instrumentalist, I don't think a lot of folk realise how much.

So true, and more so. The drummer here (Gary 'Spacey' Foote is better known principally (and still not enough...) as a saxophonist, and yet the drums here are impeccable. This is Ms Armatrading singing and playing whilst ill (as she explains at the start...), and yet... What a star..! Far too far under the radar (but maybe that's for the best..?). This band cooks..! :)

Edited by Dad3353

• 2 weeks later...

Very rare footage of the original models for the Anderson 'Thunderbirds/Stingray/Four Feather Falls' characters, chilling out ...

It's worth tapping one's foot to the drum solo, maintaining the 5/4, to see how it comes back in, spot on the beat. Class. :hi:

• Like 3