Why become a member? ×

What Would You Change ?

Bluewine

Not that I would want to wish myself to be older, but in a way I wish I was born ten years earlier! I moved to London aged twenty in the early 80s with just a Fender Precision and the hope to get in a band and do something. Had it been in the early 70s, there might have been more opportunities for someone with my tastes, talents (such as they are) and sensibilities. Then again, whether I would still be around these days is another thing! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DGBass said:

I would have been more selective about which bands I joined. The current crew are the nicest, amiable gents I've ever gigged with as well as all of them being higly proficient musicians. Having good players around makes my playing better. So many bands in the past were a struggle, drummers who couldn't keep time, guitarists who didn't own a tuner, singers who struggled to stay in key and my pet hate, band members who show up at rehersal and obviously haven't learned the new tunes or who don't show u at all. Especially if they were mates.

Minor changes of less importance:

a) would never have sold my 78 Jazz🙄

b) would never have sold my 79 Pre EB Stingray😬

c) I should have bought the 79 Les Paul Standard sunburst flame top that was in McCormack's January sale in 1980 for a grand. It was stunning, sounded and played amazing and its tone still haunts me to this very day.

I'm fine with who I am personally even though the high mileage is beginning to show in many areas. A few less aches and pains would be nice nowadays. 🙂 Going back and making major musical/band changes can be a bit sliding doors. If I'd bought that Les Paul for instance, I might not have become a bass brother and be surfing on TDPRI tonight😄

I learned to see the " red flags " with musicians very quickly. 

Working with good people over good musicians is the right way to go. If you can get both it's rare.

Blue

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, peteb said:

Not that I would want to wish myself to be older, but in a way I wish I was born ten years earlier! I moved to London aged twenty in the early 80s with just a Fender Precision and the hope to get in a band and do something. Had it been in the early 70s, there might have been more opportunities for someone with my tastes, talents (such as they are) and sensibilities. Then again, whether I would still be around these days is another thing! 

Two of my high school buddies bought one way tickets to London in 1973. One ended up in Brand X ( he's been with Billy Joel for the past 20 years ) that fusion band and the other with Bob Marley.

Al is still leading The Original Wailers around the world.  Currently touring with Joss Stone and Jethro Tull. Chuck is still with Billy Joel 

Blue

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Working with good people over good musicians is the right way to go. If you can get both it's rare

Yes I'd agree, its a rare combination in my experience. I feel lucky to have that in the here and now. It was worth the wait and I wouldn't change any aspect of my current band lineup 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DGBass said:

Yes I'd agree, its a rare combination in my experience. I feel lucky to have that in the here and now. It was worth the wait and I wouldn't change any aspect of my current band lineup 🙂

I've made some bad band decisions over the years. But I made one excellent decisions 12 years ago.

Blue

FB_IMG_1687610679514.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

cousin-it-accessory-kit.jpg

I had a chance to be 20 again. But the stipulation was, when you go back you can't take what you know now with you. You'll be just as dumb as you were the first time .

I turned down the offer. Lol 😆 

Blue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I had a chance to be 20 again. But the stipulation was, when you go back you can't take what you know now with you. You'll be just as dumb as you were the first time .

I turned down the offer. Lol 😆 

Blue

Yeah I very much like being the age I am now. Better player, wiser, way more experienced and a lot calmer than I was as a youngster.

People go on about how great it is to be young, but for me it meant having no money, poorly paid work at the bottom of the ladder, no clue what I was doing or how to do it.

I think I’m happier now at nearly 50 than I was at 20 for sure.  

• Thanks 1

I would not change much. I probably would have started getting into gigging here a lot sooner. Starting from scratch without any connections at 67 isn’t ideal. Fortunately, folks have been very accepting so….just not a lot of gigs to be played.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nilorius said:

...especialy when gold or silver meath is working !

Ah, see, that's where I went wrong. Stupidly I got my plastic meath from Pitsea market, no wonder it broke so quickly, a gold or silver meath is obviously an investment worth making.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

People go on about how great it is to be young. . . .

For me, being 18 meant unlimited opportunities and possibilities.

Unfortunately I wasn't very focussed, was too easily distracted and didn't reach anywhere near my potential.

I'd do much better if I had another time around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Ah, see, that's where I went wrong. Stupidly I got my plastic meath from Pitsea market, no wonder it broke so quickly, a gold or silver meath is obviously an investment worth making.

Noooooo, this is wrong - silver or gold meath are pills like matrix or unmatrix !!! Ask Waddo if You need a detailed information about meath !!!

45 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Ah, t'be sure now I've no knowledge of County Meath...

I've got a load of rellys in Co. Leitrim though... ☘️

Lots of mucho info, don't understand, bad to the uk english......😜

Edited by nilorius

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Good words, that's it !!!!!!!!!!! Share to Waddo.

23 hours ago, peteb said:

I'm old, if I was born 10 years earlier I'd have been playing with Benny Goodman. Lol

Blue 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm old, if I was born 10 years earlier I'd have been playing with Benny Goodman. Lol

Blue 

Well I'm nearly ten years or so younger than you, so who knows who I could have played with if I was in the right place at the right time?? 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

For me, being 18 meant unlimited opportunities and possibilities.

Unfortunately I wasn't very focussed, was too easily distracted and didn't reach anywhere near my potential.

I'd do much better if I had another time around.

That's the problem - I had all this energy and attitude, but didn't know how to focus it. All it takes is the right gig and being in right place at the right time and who knows what could have happened? 

• Like 2