Why become a member? ×

I think I'm going to get a Lollar p bass pickup for the P i built.

lidl e

On 20/07/2023 at 17:15, fretmeister said:

Specs are very similar to the Aguilar 60s version and the Aguilar is quite a bit cheaper.

Similar specs to the EMG Geezer Butler P as well, which is actually based on a vintage Fender 60's P pickup, and is cheaper than both.

But which I can warmly recommend.

Love how the one I have installed in my main bass sounds, and then it is dead quiet, even in a bass that hasn't otherwise been properly shielded, as it is shielded internally and got shielded wiring as well, with the ground running as a braided shield all along and around the insulated lead/hot wire.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, lidl e said:

Received today. Will install soon. Looking forward to it!

IMG-20230808-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.25c3868a9f0d4db5f20a6abef14bd12f.jpeg

A person I follow has the standard wound pickups in a 77 p bass (ash body/maple neck) and it sounds sooo nice. 

kloppman ate another amazing sounding pickup. 

Congrats 🥳 

Let us know how you get on with them. 

• Like 1

j'ai posé un Lollar split coil sur une Fresher Japan de 1980 (medium scale), et je suis très content!

Les aigus sont doux (je mets la tona aux 2/3)

Mediums qui grognent

Les basses sont présentes

Et le niveau de sortie est un peu plus que les Fender custom 60s, que j'ai sur ma P.bass

huxp.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 08/08/2023 at 12:24, lidl e said:

Received today. Will install soon. Looking forward to it!

IMG-20230808-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.25c3868a9f0d4db5f20a6abef14bd12f.jpeg

It’s been a while. 

What did you think of the pick ups? 

I recently bought a Japanese Yamaha pulser 400 which is a Sen (Asian ash) boy with a maple neck. I’m in the process of making a decision on what I want. Strings play a big part also. 

• Sad 1

On 08/08/2023 at 23:01, toonet said:

j'ai posé un Lollar split coil sur une Fresher Japan de 1980 (medium scale), et je suis très content!

Les aigus sont doux (je mets la tona aux 2/3)

Mediums qui grognent

Les basses sont présentes

Et le niveau de sortie est un peu plus que les Fender custom 60s, que j'ai sur ma P.bass

huxp.jpg

interesting you say the treble is soft. 

my Yamaha pulser 400 can have rather sharp highs. I have strung it with some stainless steel dr strings and d’addario XL170 nickel strings. 

I keep going back to the stainless steel. 

9 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

It’s been a while. 

What did you think of the pick ups? 

I recently bought a Japanese Yamaha pulser 400 which is a Sen (Asian ash) boy with a maple neck. I’m in the process of making a decision on what I want. Strings play a big part also. 

Mate, its been a palaver.

So i got it and asked a local guy to install it for me just to have it professionally done, and your man dripped solder onto my brand new finish.

He tried to fix it but made it worse, so i have had to do the refinish myself (i did the orginal so not a huge issue, but definitely costing time and money)

I have done the respray, it is currently curing for another week before i sand and polish. 

Then it goes back to your man for setup. Yes, he messed it up initially but he'll be able to put it back together. He does good work, but did make a balls of this.

So i still havent even been able to try it!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

Mate, its been a palaver.

So i got it and asked a local guy to install it for me just to have it professionally done, and your man dripped solder onto my brand new finish.

He tried to fix it but made it worse, so i have had to do the refinish myself (i did the orginal so not a huge issue, but definitely costing time and money)

I have done the respray, it is currently curing for another week before i sand and polish. 

Then it goes back to your man for setup. Yes, he messed it up initially but he'll be able to put it back together. He does good work, but did make a balls of this.

So i still havent even been able to try it!

Ouch. 🫣

that seems like a headache. Everyone makes mistakes right. Just sometimes those mistakes can be more costly than others. 

Hope you aren’t really in need of the bass. What woods did you use for the body and neck? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulstar89 said:

Ouch. 🫣

that seems like a headache. Everyone makes mistakes right. Just sometimes those mistakes can be more costly than others. 

Hope you aren’t really in need of the bass. What woods did you use for the body and neck? 

Ive got a wwole build diary here.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/475107-mostly-fender-bitsa-build-reverse-y-style/

Ive got plenty of basses, so no issue there.

I was cool about it. Got upset for a day or two, but told him i understand,  and i do.

He definitely feels bad. 

I just hope i get it as good as i did before!

5 hours ago, lidl e said:

Ive got a wwole build diary here.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/475107-mostly-fender-bitsa-build-reverse-y-style/

Ive got plenty of basses, so no issue there.

I was cool about it. Got upset for a day or two, but told him i understand,  and i do.

He definitely feels bad. 

I just hope i get it as good as i did before!

YES, I remember!! I commented on your thread. I love the maple neck, black body tortoiseshell pickguard. Sexy as hell. 

Nice reverse neck as well. 

I’ll follow the progress. Do keep us updated on how you find the lollar pickups. In your thread it seems you originally had fender pickups. You didn’t like them? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/10/2023 at 19:11, soulstar89 said:

YES, I remember!! I commented on your thread. I love the maple neck, black body tortoiseshell pickguard. Sexy as hell. 

Nice reverse neck as well. 

I’ll follow the progress. Do keep us updated on how you find the lollar pickups. In your thread it seems you originally had fender pickups. You didn’t like them? 

Sorry, i missed this one!

The fender didn't have quite the output I wanted and seemed a bit generic. I will give the lollar the full workout this week and report back.

So far it is pretty amazing, but havent rocked it with a drummer yet. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Sorry, i missed this one!

The fender didn't have quite the output I wanted and seemed a bit generic. I will give the lollar the full workout this week and report back.

So far it is pretty amazing, but havent rocked it with a drummer yet. 

No worries bud. 

i look forward to hear what you think. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, miles'tone said:

What did you think?

It's great. Almost perfect. Strong output, classic sound. 

I would say it doesn't distinguish itself like a bartolini i have in another p bass, but it is great. More on the bassy side than the fender i think.

28 minutes ago, lidl e said:

It's great. Almost perfect. Strong output, classic sound. 

I would say it doesn't distinguish itself like a bartolini i have in another p bass, but it is great. More on the bassy side than the fender i think.

interesting. So would you say the fender pickups have a slightly tighter bass and ever so slightly more articulation then? 

I’ve been waiting for a used pair to land on the market for so long. 

Edited by soulstar89