Why become a member? ×

Mostly Fender bitsa build. Reverse-y style

lidl e

The final bits for my latest project build have all shipped today, so i figured i would track the progress here.

This might be a longish one as i wont be able to paint until it warms up a bit.

Received my fender replacement neck a few days ago.

Picked up the pure vintage 63 pickups locally.

I ordered this body:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_IE/EUR/Fame-P-Bass-Body-Alder-Unpainted/art-BAS0009721-000

As far as i can tell it has a 62mm neck pocket, the only reasonably priced body i could find with 62mm and no swimming pool route. Even though one never sees it, i hate those massive fender routs.

I ordered schaller nickel BMF tuners which are reversible. Fender neckplate. Allparts vintage nickel bridge. Allparts knobs, strap buttons and shielding tape. Fender string retainer. And fender 13 hole tortoise shell pickguard.

To allow it to actually make noise, i ordered a @KiOgon loom.

Parts, body and loom all shipped today.

Plan is to finish it in jet black nitro using rattle cans. I've done it before and it came out looking excellent, so i am looking forward to trying again.

This is what i have so far:

20230216_183035.thumb.jpg.7144c43585084bacb3f551cd05678cdb.jpg20230216_183135.thumb.jpg.2f9e70b882c9bd913dc3ac8b3b6b259c.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice...

I considered a lefty tele stocked neck... but it got sold ☹️

In the classfieds here? I might have seen that in my search.  

I wanted the bigger headstock though so the reverse aspect is really pronounced!🤪

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

@lidl e So, what's doing with the nut, don't forget to order one in...

Is it stuck in? simple replace for a right hand one?

Luckily the nut comes with guidemarks for the string slots but not fully grooved for strings so it can be cut for a right hand set.

I dont have faith in myaelf to cut it. There will be three things i will ask a local luthier to do for me on this.

Cut the nut slots, make drill points for the bridge and possibly a slight rout to the pickup cavity as the pickups i have have a brass baseplate which i know i can remove, but i think i want to keep on.

I am hoping for as little work as possible needed for the neck pocket.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 2

Delivery day!

So i got lucky! Everything seems to be tailored for a 62mm heel including the genuine fender pickguard 

It's odd in that all the "higher end" builders are only doing 63.5mm neck pockets on their bodies. This genuine fender replacement neck i bought is 62mm and it fits this body like a glove! Very very pleased all around. I took a punt on the body having a 62mm neck pocket and it paid off.

Now just waiting for kiogon loom and will pick up the cans for painting.

20230221_093909.thumb.jpg.e6d2725875ce07e79fc11e15f11deaa2.jpg20230221_094445.thumb.jpg.d33362c566f1343d5345becf5885c305.jpg20230221_093751.thumb.jpg.cc2a3aa29d9be73c7a4eba59a336f85c.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

And finally, paint!

I have all my bits sourced now. Painting will commence once it gets above 12°

For what i soent on paint alone, i couldve just bought an HB

1x sanding sealer 

1x primer

2x colour (jet black)

2x clear

20230309_140354.thumb.jpg.ed021604923d7b15ae9230472d05fd1e.jpg

cant wait to get stuck in!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lidl e said:

And finally, paint!

I have all my bits sourced now. Painting will commence once it gets above 12°

For what i soent on paint alone, i couldve just bought an HB

1x sanding sealer 

1x primer

2x colour (jet black)

2x clear

20230309_140354.thumb.jpg.ed021604923d7b15ae9230472d05fd1e.jpg

cant wait to get stuck in!

Should gone to Halfords, £7.99 a tin.. 😅

Seriously I'm sure that's going to look brilliant, frustrating not being able to crack on as it's too cold....plus the trouble with Eire, it's always bloody raining..! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Should gone to Halfords, £7.99 a tin.. 😅

Seriously I'm sure that's going to look brilliant, frustrating not being able to crack on as it's too cold....plus the trouble with Eire, it's always bloody raining..! 

Too true! Literally rainjng right now!

On the halfords, i wanted to make sure i got swivel spray heads, and while i could have ordered them separately,  i just got what i could quickly and easily. 

20 euro a can. 

Im very used to paying over the odds on kit over here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

O'd of gone for a Oil n wax finish, cheaper and easier to apply...

Each to their own, enjoy ya project.

Real quality parts there... don't add it up!

Look forward to the painting pics

Aye, i already have a natural finish p type bass.

Im not mad about natural finishes. This project actually started because i was going to refin this natural one, but it is so awesome i decided just to build another. 

I have refinished a bass using cans before. It came out great and i wanted to do it again. 

Believe me, ive added it up! I wouldn't quite be able to get a MIA P, but definitely more than any player series.

I went with all high end parts. I was really looking for a MIA lefty neck but couldnt find one anywhere and not sure its worth almost 3x the price of this MiM neck. 

The only thing i cheaped out in is the HB strap holders i got.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2023 at 16:44, lidl e said:

I have refinished a bass using cans before. It came out great and i wanted to do it again. 

Same here (well, it was a Telecaster) and I was very pleased with the result.  It's surprising how good a finish you can get with nitro from a rattlecan when you do the prep properly, isn't it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Same here (well, it was a Telecaster) and I was very pleased with the result.  It's surprising how good a finish you can get with nitro from a rattlecan when you do the prep properly, isn't it?

Aye. I hope i can pull it off again. 

I even did a LPB metallic and you can't tell it's not a factory finish.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First coat on. Sanding sealer.

I'm going with the reranch rule if threes.

spray three passes to make a coat, allow each coat to dry at least three hours and spray no more than three coats a day for at least three day

I think 3 coats of sanding sealer will be enough. Then i will move on to primer tomorrow. Probably 3 coats there depending on coverage.

Then colour, as many coats as i can get from two cans. 

Then clear. Same as colour.

Im excited!

• Like 1

Gah! Got the colour all sprayed, it looks very good, but in the first coat of clear i bumped it off a tack cloth and now i have a big smudge. 

Im also mostly out of colour so i have to really try and get it out without messing up the colour.

Spraying done! Zero runs in my clear coats. Very pleased with the results so far.

Definitely a few imperfections, but i will see how it looks after wet sanding and polishing in a few weeks. 

I dont really have a proper setup so im happy so far. 

• Like 1