Why become a member? ×

Mostly Fender bitsa build. Reverse-y style

lidl e

The bushings for the schallers i bought were slightly too small. 

I know i could have used a shim to make them fit, but i went ahead and bought some fender ones so i wouldnt have to faff around. Seem to fit much better.

Not a huge update, but an update nonetheless so it goes in the diary. I figure any updates are good for future reference if people are searching

Assembly is imminent!

20230425_093333.thumb.jpg.d27a0316b32a78bac8a77976ba989ffb.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

Bushings in. 

Was a right pain in the hole.

Had to slightly sand the tuner holes to make them just a touch bigger. Then i used a hammer and a wrench socket to gently tap them in just enough so they didnt fall out, then i used a C clamp and and block of wood on the back of the neck to slowly tighten them into place.

Got them perfectly flush and i cant imagine they'd  be slipping out.

20230425_185940.jpg.22c1147e88bb981e7025791eee7561ec.jpg

Again, a minor update but i would have liked to have found a thread with all these type of minor updates in one place when starting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Those bushings can be a bastard, they're either too tight or too loose. In the case of tight ones it can feel a bit iffy bashing them in regardless in case you start a split in the HS ! 

I was stressing a split the whole time!

Here's a question, my neck has pre drilled holes for the tuner screws. The tuners i bought have a much bigger baseplate so the holes dont come close to the pre drilled ones.

Will i bother filling in the predrilled ones? I feel as long as they arent too close it should be alright.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Here's a question, my neck has pre drilled holes for the tuner screws. The tuners i bought have a much bigger baseplate so the holes dont come close to the pre drilled ones.

Will i bother filling in the predrilled ones? I feel as long as they arent too close it should be alright.

Well tbh I've in the past just plugged any redundant holes with cocktail sticks and wood glue, then trimmed flush when dry. 

I guess if the holes are way off where you need the new ones it doesn't matter tho.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Well tbh I've in the past just plugged any redundant holes with cocktail sticks and wood glue, then trimmed flush when dry. 

I guess if the holes are way off where you need the new ones it doesn't matter tho.. 

Yeah, that would be the way, but i want to put them in tonight!

Hoping i get them in straight. Is there any way but to eyeball?

Edited by lidl e

4 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Yeah, that would be the way, but i want to put them in tonight!

Hoping i get them in straight. Is there any way but to eyeball?

Well I've used a straight edge, ruler, or right angle engineers square on occasions, to set them straight.. The top edge of the HS you can use as a datum and assuming there's 90° edge on each tuner base plate you can set them using the right angle or T square against that.. They're then aligned to the top of the HS

If the above makes sense? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Well I've used a straight edge, ruler, or right angle engineers square on occasions, to set them straight.. The top edge of the HS you can use as a datum and assuming there's 90° edge on each tuner base plate you can set them using the right angle or T square against that.. They're then aligned to the top of the HS

If the above makes sense? 

Ive got these old school fatties like the ones on the Nate Mendel which i love the look of but they take up a lot of real estate. 

I think i can align the bottom of the cloverhead with the edge of the headstock, tape it down, mark the holes and drill. 

You can see that the old holes are almsoy entirely covered up.

Wish me luck! 

20230425_200231.jpg.691159268394cb02ac3b284fdadc637d.jpg

• Like 2

Nice tuners indeed 👍

Given their size they look easy enough to line up, I'd be using a square to get the flat front / back edges of the backing plates at 90 degs to the flat plane on top of the HS, but they're almost touching each other with a small gap so prob OK to eyeball it at a push. 

If there's any existing screw pilot hole visible thru the new tuner plates holes, you run the risk of the screw taking a run for the old hole and going wonky. You're naturally going to drill new pilot holes for the screws I assume. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lidl e said:

14 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

An alternative to a cocktail stick is a bamboo kebab skewer with a dab of glue.

It was @Andyjr1515 wot told me that, it was.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

An alternative to a cocktail stick is a bamboo kebab skewer with a dab of glue.

It was @Andyjr1515 wot told me that, it was.

Thats actually what i was going to use, but as you can see the redundant holes were covered up fairly well so wasnt necessary. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Tomorrow is three weeks curing time finished. I'm hoping to polish and start assembly this weekend!

One thing i changed is i went and bought actual fender strap knobs. I initially bought harley benton ones and im not sure why. Just being cheap i suppose.

The HB ones arent great. Very cheap feeling and small screws so i went ahead and bought genuine fender ones. Much nicer.

I even got a little bag of felt rings to put under the strap holders

20230510_085141.thumb.jpg.933d332915d0b13861e6046c8932bece.jpg20230510_084917.jpg.cf888fc7cdeb6f023755da26dd539544.jpg20230510_084945.jpg.2763b350747b63be25c34ce124274981.jpg20230510_084945.jpg.2763b350747b63be25c34ce124274981.jpg

20230510_085016.jpg

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 11:58, lidl e said:

@KiOgon loom received! Hopefully paint arrives in shop today.

i will need to wait a few weeks for it to warm up to paint. 

im hoping for completion approx. 8 weeks from this weekend.

20230308_115536.thumb.jpg.fb877a11b064bd3e866bba21941a9db4.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this joke, so eye-roll away, but cardboard control plates?  They'll never catch on!

• Like 1