Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought from Japan on eBay?

RikiB

There’s a couple of medium scale basses I like the look of on eBay but they’re in Japan so would have to add 20% on the price and pay that before delivery but just wondered if it’s safe to order from Japan via eBay and if people have had positive or negative experiences doing so?

Thinking of selling my US P bass to fund it.

BB903A9E-A561-48DE-849A-43C995588E56.jpeg

I have bought from Ishibashi a couple of times. never had an issue.

I would, however, think more in terms of 25% rather than just 20. That just covers the VAT but there will be charges around covering the VAT to get it through Customs and any Duty payable. 25% gives you a better approximation to consider the value of the purchase.

• Thanks 1

I've bought from Japan plenty of times, never had a problem. "Bought from ebay" doesn't really mean anything, it's just a means to put you in touch with private sellers and every one is different. Look at the seller, check their feedback and pay with paypal so you have protection, then prepare to pay the postie an extra 25% before they deliver.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

This is right. The shipping can be £100 + so makes a difference.

I expect the shipping from Japan will be significantly over £100 these days. It was around the £150 mark for the last bass (plus hard case) I bought from Ishibashi and that was probably 10 years ago.

I bought a couple of Japanese Fenders earlier this year. Both transactions were fine, delivery was only a few days each time. Fedex handled the import charges on my behalf and I paid them back (both times after the basses were delivered). As long as the seller is decent, does the correct paperwork and packs well it should be easy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kristo said:

I bought a couple of Japanese Fenders earlier this year. Both transactions were fine, delivery was only a few days each time. Fedex handled the import charges on my behalf and I paid them back (both times after the basses were delivered). As long as the seller is decent, does the correct paperwork and packs well it should be easy. 

Do you know which Ebay sellers you used?

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I actually see a fair few basses advertised as 'free shipping' from Japan. Not quite sure what's going on there, too good to be true usually is.

Is it? 
I’ll ask them,I just though they added more to asking price and then said free shipping.

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I actually see a fair few basses advertised as 'free shipping' from Japan. Not quite sure what's going on there, too good to be true usually is.

I wondered about that. I assume the shipping is included in the cost of the bass and is done to reduce the import tariffs, which are calculated on cost of bass and shipping.

The Pound has increased significantly against the Yen in the last couple of years and I'm seeing some real Japanese bargains on Ebay.

But, like you say though (call me a cynic), when it's too good to be true......it's because it usually is.

Edited by gjones

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

I wondered about that. I assume the shipping is included in the cost of the bass and is done to reduce the import tariffs, which are calculated on cost of bass and shipping.

The Pound has increased significantly against the Yen in the last couple of years and I'm seeing some real Japanese bargains on Ebay.

But, like you say though (call me a cynic), when it's too good to be true......it's because it usually is.

My brother does a lot of business with Japan selling and buying records, the friction is lessened as his wife is Japanese, but in thousands of transactions (some in the thousands of pounds) he has never experienced a problem.

I’d trust a Japanese ebayer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Burns-bass said:

My brother does a lot of business with Japan selling and buying records, the friction is lessened as his wife is Japanese, but in thousands of transactions (some in the thousands of pounds) he has never experienced a problem.

I’d trust a Japanese ebayer.

Thanks for this.

I asked him if he could just take a picture of the bass with a piece of paper with my name on as I said I wasn’t sure as I’ve seen the same basses for sale on numerous accounts (not this one but others) 

He said their basses are in the warehouse but he will get over there and do it so we’ll see.

Looks great and it’s White too ❤️.

Love white or a burst

18 minutes ago, RikiB said:

Thanks for this.

I asked him if he could just take a picture of the bass with a piece of paper with my name on as I said I wasn’t sure as I’ve seen the same basses for sale on numerous accounts (not this one but others) 

He said their basses are in the warehouse but he will get over there and do it so we’ll see.

Looks great and it’s White too ❤️.

Love white or a burst

If you'll see the same bass for sale at multiple Japanese ebay seller accounts, you know they are actually acting as an intermediate party and don't actually own the bass.

What they do is trying to sell an item, and if it gets sold, it's when they (try to) buy it at the actual japanese store that has the item. Sometimes it's no longer available and you'll get refunded.

So in short; that seller probably doesn't have the bass, and its for sale at the original ource for a good bit less.

Ive just been through this as I was looking to buy a Modulus Flea. I've seen the same one for sale at 5 sellers on ebay at different prices, and managed to track it down to the actual shop who had it. In the actual (reliable, well rated bass dealer) shop it was 15% cheaper than the lowest ebay listing. On top of that I managed to negotiate 20% off of that price. At this moment of typing it's in the Dutch customs. I hope it will arrive in the next few days😙

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope it all works out for you.

Thats amazing you got it much cheaper than you though.

So maybe he’s selling it like you say then.

says make an offer so I’ll offer £50 less and see anyway. But I think £850ish in total is ok for these as they are hard to come by.

It may well be on eBay because those sellers are prepared to deal with foreign customers while the shop that actually has it in stock is not, and unless you know someone in Japan (who is Japanese or can speak it perfectly) who can go to the shop in person and buy it for you, buying in this way on eBay might be the only way to get the bass in question.

• Like 1