Why become a member? ×

Super cheap Harley Benton flatwounds shocker!

meterman

Not really, but I recently put an order in with Thomann and added some Harley Benton flatwounds in to get over the free delivery threshold.

When the parcel arrived I forgot I’d added strings to the order but I put them on my Jazz bass today and they’re surprisingly decent. Certainly an upgrade on the Fender cables they replaced. Didn’t expect them to be as good as they are. Not as smooth as La Bellas or Chromes, and certainly not as pricey, but sonically they’ve got a good old thump to them. No idea how long they’ll last, but as I’m not gigging, probably a fair while.

CF1A01C9-C170-46E6-8F85-977ED6065FCB.jpeg.5750ed36eef7b8b946498348ee3f28d7.jpeg

For the price of a couple of pints of Guinness in today’s money these are definitely worth a go. 👍

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Any info Blah Blah on the back?

Packaging looks very Olympia.

The back of the the packet is very light on info, it just shows which colour ball end represents which string, and not much else.

Interesting that you’re mention Olympia strings though, they’re the only other sub-£20 bass strings I’ve ever had. And they were decent as well, I seem to remember.

14 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Status Hotwires were a good flat but I'm not sure they're made any more.

Never tried Status strings, wasn’t aware of them. I admit I’ve only bought about 7 or 8 sets of strings in 35 years of playing. 

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'm a fan of Adagio and Olympia strings... I have Budget Rounds and Flats on Bass and Guitar, Acoustic and Electric... As all my Bass and Guitars are cheapies..

I really like Olympia. A bit less tension than LaBella's and not as pingy. Very nice. And cheap!

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 13:03, TheGreek said:

I looked at the Harley Benton flats but couldn't bring myself to place the order as there was so little info about them. 

Same here, but if you´ll have a look at the Thomann side´, it says stainless steel, it says 45-100, it says hex core. So it´s not really less info than on others strings.

Used to ridiculous prices but decent quality on harley benton products, that price is really unbelievably low.

On 11/07/2023 at 23:28, meterman said:

to get over the free delivery threshold.

I think that´s the way for me to try them, because otherwise my TIs are going outlive me.🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smithy said:

Used to ridiculous prices but decent quality on harley benton products, that price is really unbelievably low.

I think that´s the way for me to try them, because otherwise my TIs are going outlive me.🙂

It’s too early for me to tell how good the HB flats really are, a recording session would be the true test. If they record well enough then I’d be happy enough to keep them on my Jazz.

5 hours ago, Maude said:

The trouble with buying these is that I'd have to pop a new bass in the order to get free shipping. 

You in the US or UK? It's only £8 postage which is fine if you buy a couple of sets. US... no idea!

1 hour ago, kwmlondon said:

You in the US or UK? It's only £8 postage which is fine if you buy a couple of sets. US... no idea!

I'm in the UK but I was only jesting. 

Seriously now, I don't think I'd buy one set as although £20.70 is still a good price, two pairs puts them in Olympia territory at £16.70 which, as you say, is more like it. You can get the Olympia ones for £15 and they're actually very good. 

If placing a Thomann order then adding a couple of set's of the HB flats is a great idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I'm in the UK but I was only jesting. 

Seriously now, I don't think I'd buy one set as although £20.70 is still a good price, two pairs puts them in Olympia territory at £16.70 which, as you say, is more like it. You can get the Olympia ones for £15 and they're actually very good. 

If placing a Thomann order then adding a couple of set's of the HB flats is a great idea. 

Hmmmmm. Tempted… my guitarist has a gritty bass that would love a new set of strings. I’d like to treat him… 

25 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Hmmmmm. Tempted… my guitarist has a gritty bass that would love a new set of strings. I’d like to treat him… 

Tempted by which, the Harley Benton ones or the Olympias? If Olympias definitely try a low offer, the last set I bought I got for a tenner, it was a year or so ago though and we all know what's happened to prices lately. 

Just this week I put a set of Olympia flats on my Epiphone Embassy, they have a surprising amount of top end to them and sound very much like old roundwounds at the moment, which I like. A decent amount of tension but not too stiff like a lot of flats. I think they're nice strings full stop, not just nice for the money. 

I haven't tried the HBs. 

• Like 1