Why become a member? ×

Cost of a custom neck

Dazed

Where would you recommend to buy a replacement neck off the shelf?

Anyone have any idea what a custom neck would cost to be built by a luthier? I know materials and spec will affect the cost, but for a standard kind of wood choice. 

thanks 

I'd wager about 400 squids from a pro luthier.  Also luthiers have waiting times, so while not adding to the cost, it can affect who you choose.

I think, without checking, that Warmoth necks off the shelf are in that same cost region, give or take, but they're US based, so there's extra costs

• Like 1

GuitarBuild.co.uk have several necks available online around the 250 - 400 mark.

Sure the necks are minus a nut & a finish also note the heel size….maybe worth firing them in an email and asking what they can do. 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 00:20, Dazed said:

Something not standard and not on any of all the usual suspects of ‘off the shelf’ neck suppliers unfortunately. 

Not standard in terms of headstock shape or scale length, etc?  If it is the former, then there are some fully useable and exceptionally cheap paddle-head necks around (we are talking 1/3 of the UK cost of the timber!).  If so, shout and I can find you some links. 

If it's the latter, then yes, it's probably going to be needing a custom builder.

I had Jon Shuker put a custom neck on my Shukerbird (definitely not standard - he profiled it to my spec (Jazz width, birdseye board, etc) and custom-made it to fit perfectly to The World's Longest 4-bolt Neck Pocket), but as above, he may be busy if you're in a rush. Worth a try, though. It was also cheaper (at the time, admittedly a while ago) than a Warmoth neck (which wouldn't have fitted the daft pocket anyway).

• Like 1

Thanks for that Muzz. Interesting to hear the cost was lower than an off the shelf job. 
I may be able to challenge the long neck pocket with one of my old Warwick

bolt ons 😄

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

Thanks for that Muzz. Interesting to hear the cost was lower than an off the shelf job. 

bolt ons 😄

And Jon Shuker is one of the best...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

You’re too modest Andy I hear you’re not half bad yourself 😜

You are very kind... but there is a difference between an experienced amateur and a seasoned professional.  As Ronnie Corbett would say, "I know my place!"  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dazed said:

bolt ons 😄

How's this for a daft arrangement? (not Jon's, obv - he just worked with it (and very very well); the heel of the neck is twice as long as a 'normal' heel...

image.png.2f9ac3ec3bd4ded94cd80f02757515d1.png

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

As I've said before: the worst upper fret access in Christendom, but I don't care: I seldom go up there, it gives me a nose bleed... 😐

It's definitely solid, tho... 😀

image.thumb.png.30a9e0d5c55925f2262ea46fa732789f.png

Shiny pickups. So wrong, but so very right. Prrrrrrrrrrrrr.