Why become a member? ×

Jazz Pickups

I bought a MIM 70s Jazz Bass from the Electronic Bay, and the pickups are rubbish.

They buzz (more if you touch them), they sound weak and out of phase if they're both turned up full and they don't seem to want to be earthed.

Other than that, the Bass is lovely so I'm keeping it - the seller refunded a bit of money so I'm more or less happy.

Can anyone recommend me some replacement pickups?

I like an old-skool thumpy sort of sound if that helps.

I've got my eye on a pair of Bartolinis (Bartolinii?) originals at £156 new, just wondering if there's any others I should know about.

Fender noiseless? EMG? Seymour Duncs? Wilkinson? Any other makes I've never heard of?

Only interested in passive .

All and any input welcomed.

Cheers

Gratuitous pic of the new arrival

jazz.jpg

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Like 3

If old school thumpy (like me - i do P's rather than J's) but i did fall in love with a MIJ RI75 jazz bass.  I stuck Elites Groundwounds on it and doubled with a set of Wizard 84 pups it sounded full, meaty, thumpy and P-ish but kept the J growl

Edited by Pow_22
  • Thanks 1

Just fitted a set of Dimarzio DP123 into my Jazz ( Player Series )

Firstly no hum even if only one pup on.

They are best described as darker and deeper sounding with less treble 

Heading more towards a PBass tone but still got the Jazz growl 

If swopping pups measure neck and bridge as some older basses have the same width but newer basses have a wider bridge pup compared to the neck 

Mine cost £138 and I’m liking the sound. 

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for a 70s tone to match your bass you could do worse than check these out. https://ironstone-guitar-pickups.co.uk/the-ironstone-jazz-bass-pickups/

I have a set in my USA standard Jazz and they sound brilliant and way better than the stock custom 60s it came with. They give a very balanced and round tone, lots of clarity and sound especially good with flats imho. They arent noisy either compared to the original fender pups. Very competitively priced as well as being a UK company.

• Thanks 1

The Ironstones had lots of good things going for them that I couldn't find in pups twice the price. I know it should always be a secondary consideration but they also look good and fitted perfectly without the need to file the scratchplate or reposition screws. The slightly raised 70s style pole pieces are also a nice authentic old school touch and the pole piece / string alignment was perfect on my Jazz. There is also no brash branding you find on some replacement sets so the upgrade is quite incognito visually.

Screenshot2023-06-29at23_11_10.thumb.png.751e00dde2d157ef8333a0c67fb1f509.png

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 17:22, StingRayBoy42 said:

I bought a MIM 70s Jazz Bass from the Electronic Bay, and the pickups are rubbish.

They buzz (more if you touch them), they sound weak and out of phase if they're both turned up full and they don't seem to want to be earthed.

Other than that, the Bass is lovely so I'm keeping it - the seller refunded a bit of money so I'm more or less happy.

Can anyone recommend me some replacement pickups?

I like an old-skool thumpy sort of sound if that helps.

I've got my eye on a pair of Bartolinis (Bartolinii?) originals at £156 new, just wondering if there's any others I should know about.

Fender noiseless? EMG? Seymour Duncs? Wilkinson? Any other makes I've never heard of?

Only interested in passive .

All and any input welcomed.

Cheers

Gratuitous pic of the new arrival

jazz.jpg

I love the Dimarzio Area J for something that sounds much like the classic single coil Jazz, but they're humbuckers. Not expensive either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the fender ‘64 which are found in the flea signature bass are killer. 60’s so darker thanks 70’s set but man what a set of pick ups. If you can find some worth a try. Bart’s Classic Bass are killer too. I put them in a HB J bass and they elevated the sound.  Model J’s do a darker nearly verging on p bass thing and are great too. I’ve experience with all these pick ups I’ve mentioned. Any of them would do what you’re asking. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2023 at 20:09, krispn said:

I think the fender ‘64 which are found in the flea signature bass are killer. 60’s so darker thanks 70’s set but man what a set of pick ups. If you can find some worth a try. Bart’s Classic Bass are killer too. I put them in a HB J bass and they elevated the sound.  Model J’s do a darker nearly verging on p bass thing and are great too. I’ve experience with all these pick ups I’ve mentioned. Any of them would do what you’re asking. 

Funny you should mention the Flea pickups - I have some in my parts draw. If the OP is interested send me a PM. They are pretty damn good! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
I finally decided on a set of Bartolinis, so bought some from Bass Direct.
They turned up with broken lugs (on my birthday! Boooo!) so they went straight back.
Full refund including return postage the minute they got them back, top marks to Ash at BD.

As luck would have it, a set of Lindy Fralin 5% Overwound (the very ones recommended by @Bigguy2017 ) appeared on ebay the next day, so I snapped them up for eighty quid less than a new set. Get in!

I also went for a @KiOgon VBT loom with S/P pot, which is a beautifully made little thing.

It all went to the luthier yesterday (I need a grownup to do that sort of thing for me, I'm barely allowed to handle safety scissors), I should have it back today or tomorrow... I'm like a toddler on christmas eve.

@Raslee Thanks for the offer, I'm sure they're lovely, please sell them to @krispn !

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
I finally decided on a set of Bartolinis, so bought some from Bass Direct.
They turned up with broken lugs (on my birthday! Boooo!) so they went straight back.
Full refund including return postage the minute they got them back, top marks to Ash at BD.

As luck would have it, a set of Lindy Fralin 5% Overwound (the very ones recommended by @Bigguy2017 ) appeared on ebay the next day, so I snapped them up for eighty quid less than a new set. Get in!

I also went for a @KiOgon VBT loom with S/P pot, which is a beautifully made little thing.

It all went to the luthier yesterday (I need a grownup to do that sort of thing for me, I'm barely allowed to handle safety scissors), I should have it back today or tomorrow... I'm like a toddler on christmas eve.

@Raslee Thanks for the offer, I'm sure they're lovely, please sell them to @krispn !

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Glad it’s all worked out. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Cheers, enjoy the Flea pickups!

I already have a set in my flea jazz but would happily have another to put in the HB jazz. The Fralins sound (on paper) to be pretty good and do let us know how you like them. 

• Like 1